Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

realize band vs regular band

My Doctor gave me the option of choosing the regular lapband versus the realize band. I have been researching info on both and my daughter has had the regular with excellent results. So I am unsure which one to go with. The realize band I like because of the online support and tracking they give you. Does anyone have any input on this??

Surgery is probably going to be in beginning of July. Doing all the preliminary work now. :cool2:

I have been wondering the same thing I heard there wasn't a big difference between the two they both claim to be better then the other, then I read that the realize band is a newer version of the lapband difference in the way there made and cc types, then one lady said she saw both and the regular one seemed to be constructed better then the realize so yeah I am confused to ...lol so anyone who can help us please do so .............. thanksssss:confused::cool2:

you may want to do a search there are several threads covering this topic where you can see differing opinions.

I saw that some people had a choice so I asked my surgeon about it. He said that they don't offer the realize band because there's a higher instance of complications/issues with the realize band and they believe that the regular is safer. So for now they don't offer it as an option. course that's just my surgeon's opinion, but I thought I'd share!

He said that they don't offer the realize band because there's a higher instance of complications/issues with the realize band

That isn't true. Clinical data shows no statistical significance between the two bands when it comes to weight loss and complications. They perform about the same. The big difference is that Realize has that cool web site that lets you track your progress and communicates it (if you want) to your surgeon.

I saw that some people had a choice so I asked my surgeon about it. He said that they don't offer the realize band because there's a higher instance of complications/issues with the realize band and they believe that the regular is safer. So for now they don't offer it as an option. course that's just my surgeon's opinion, but I thought I'd share!

That's funny your Dr told you this, mine said his patients are having great results with the Realize band and many seem to be hitting their "sweet spot" sooner. My dr did not recommend one band over the other, he told me that they both have pretty much the same success record and you will get pretty much the same result with either product.

The Realize band does offer the online support, but I believe Lap-band is following in their footsteps with this one.

I've seen and held both bands in my own hands, and I liked the fact that the Realize band was wider and not as rigid as the Lap-band, and I also like the online access (I used it during my 6mnth weightloss phase).

Bottom line, my doctor told me both are good products, they work the same....he said in his opinion it was like Pepsi and Coke.

For the record I have a Realize band (banded 6wks and haven't had the first problem with my band....hoping it stays that way!!)

Keep in mind, this wasn't my opinion. i didn't do any research on the options because I only had 1 band available to me. I was just passing along the info i was given. I hope no one ever has a problem with either band!

I really didn't take it personally....and most Dr's have their preferences and the reasons why are not always clear.

That isn't true. Clinical data shows no statistical significance between the two bands when it comes to weight loss and complications. They perform about the same. The big difference is that Realize has that cool web site that lets you track your progress and communicates it (if you want) to your surgeon.

I appreciate everyone's input on this, and of course after reading that the one surgeon will not do REalize band at all cause of issues, makes me very concerned. I am wondering what clinical data you have been able to access? However, since it is new,( not sure how new) how much statistical information can they really have so far. I love of course the cool web site and this would be a real plus in keeping you on course. Since my daughter had her lap band surgery with the regular band she has had a very smooth experience so of course I feel confident I would have the same, and all the experiences i read about are with the regular band, so any clinical data you have read I would greatly appreciate being able to look up with the REALIZE BAND.

MacMadame,

Forgot to ask you did you get theREALIZE band or the regular when you were banded? Your loss is quite impressive and I applaud your weight loss and efforts to get there.

Bottom line, my doctor told me both are good products, they work the same....he said in his opinion it was like Pepsi and Coke.

Mine says Ford and Chevy. :eek:

However, since it is new,( not sure how new) how much statistical information can they really have so far.

It's been used for years in the rest of the world (especially Europe) and had to go through the same clinical trials that the Lap-Band went through to get approved in the US. You can find data about it on MedLine Plus if you want to read the studies. Once I decided to go for the sleeve instead of the band, I didn't save my research so I don't have anything handy.

MacMadame,

Forgot to ask you did you get theREALIZE band or the regular when you were banded? /QUOTE]

I have a gastric sleeve. :glare: After looking into it, I decided it more directly addressed my food issues because it removes ghrelin from my system.

Mine says Ford and Chevy. :eek:

It's been used for years in the rest of the world (especially Europe) and had to go through the same clinical trials that the Lap-Band went through to get approved in the US. You can find data about it on MedLine Plus if you want to read the studies. Once I decided to go for the sleeve instead of the band, I didn't save my research so I don't have anything handy.

MacMadame,

Forgot to ask you did you get theREALIZE band or the regular when you were banded? /QUOTE]

I have a gastric sleeve. :glare: After looking into it, I decided it more directly addressed my food issues because it removes ghrelin from my system.

Thanks for the input. You have totally answered my questions. I had no idea it was used widely in Europe and wasn't just a new band. I will definitely go on Medline Plus and read the studies. Its sounds like from everyone that it is a matter of choice, and I agree that since the band is wider and not so rigid it might be a great alternative. My daughter has the regular band and even though no problems she always feels the port and always feels her band. I can see once the first initial weight comes off the online support would really keep you going. I know you had said you had the gastric sleeve, I don't even know if that is a band or what that is. I am glad you like it and obviously you have lost so much weight, something I envy at this point. Thanks to everyone for their help and info on this whole subject. I am a lot more educated because of all of you banders!:eek:

A gastric sleeve is when they remove part of your stomach so the remaining part is shaped like a sleeve. They move the part that makes ghrelin, a hormone that gives you a big appetite.