Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is this only me??

Well I am new to all of this..I was just banded last Friday 5/1 and I am already struggling with this whole liquid diet!! I find myself being hungry for some REAL food! I dont know if it is normal to feel this way, but I am trying to hang in there..I can only think wow only 3 more weeks of this liquid phase but thats along time..LoL well if anyone has any advice that would be awesome..thanks!

Hang in there. It's not easy. This Friday will be my 3 weeks. I can't wait to eat some mushies. Just keep drinking plenty of Water. Are you on Protein Shakes yet? Those should help you feel better also. Good luck and hang in there you can do it.

i had one week clear liquid..2 weeks creamy liquids ( Soups, shakes, etc)....2 weeks mushies...1 week soft foods...did ur doctor give u a plan to follow? creamy liquids should be on there somewhere...if not call and ask?

Hey good luck hang in there i know it's hard. i was only on liquids 1 wk then for 2 weeks on mushies then softer foods for the 4th week. My band was fine also, nothing happened to it. Hope it helps.

Heck, I can't imagine 3 weeks of liquids! I was only on liquids for 10 days and the last 3 of that, I could have cream Soups. Wish I had something to offer to make it easier.

Thank you! I guess every DR. is different it seems like everybody has a different post op diet..I can have shakes and some cream soups but 3 more weeks of this and then 2 weeks of pureed foods...we will see how it goes~

Hey there,

good luck with the liquid diet. I too was lucky not to have to do it for so long.

Maybe think creatively and see if you can get those foods you are craving into liquid forms..

Craving chocolate...go and have a nice hot chocolate at a cafe (this helped me a lot , it was like I was returning to the 'real world' )

OR if you are craving real foods, get creative and make some fantastic Soups and then blend and re-blend until it is the right consistency.

Stick with it , it will definately be worth it and will also give you a massive kick start to your weight loss!

Good luck

205532.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

My doctor must be really different after my surgery on May 12. I only have one week of full liquids then one week of soft then regular food. So i can eat regular food after two weeks. Does anyone think this is weird i have heard so many people say they don't get regular food untill week 4 or longer

Wow three weeks seems like a looong time, but every Dr has their own protocal....my suggestion would be try eating...er I mean drinking something warm, that defintely helped me to feel like I was having real food verses just drinking all the time.

I was 1 wk liquids (could have s/f Jello and popciels then) 2 wks mushies (I was told mushies was anything i could smash with a fork) then at the begining of wk 4 began slowly reincorperating regualr foods.

Good luck to you, just keep reminding yourself this is only temporary...you CAN do this!!!

~Monica

I think I was on liquids FOREVER, shawnalynn. At least, at the time, it felt like it. Good for you for sticking to your doctor's protocol. It IS hard and you WILL get through it.

I lost a lot of weight on the post-op liquid diet and the weight loss inspired me to keep going through the rough times. Now, it seems like so long ago that I barely remember it. This too shall pass!

Thank you everybody for the words of encouragment! They really help...Its def. getting easier! so one week down 3 more to go I know I can make it!

Hang in there! At my last fill (5/7) I asked my doc what causes slips. He said that several things (including surgeon error and equipment failure, plus "who knows?" all can be factors) can cause it but MOST are caused by patients who 'advance the diet" too quickly. They either slip right away, or they slip down the road because if their band is sutured in, digestion (and the churning tummy that goes with it) can pop a stitch or two and set you up for a slip later on.

SO! You are doing great to hang in there; just realize it can set you up for a great band experience! :tt2:

And I remember your pain. I sat and held a can of refried Beans and cried. I felt like an idiot for doing that, so I cried even harder! BUT I didn't open them and eat them...You can make it through!

I am going through this right now too!

I am wondering though - if the churning stomach hurts the sutures, and my stomach is growling like there's no tomorrow and FEELS like it's churning (and I don't DARE to "eat" anything off my clear liquid diet)... does that hurt anything? Is it really churning?

I am going through this right now too!

I am wondering though - if the churning stomach hurts the sutures, and my stomach is growling like there's no tomorrow and FEELS like it's churning (and I don't DARE to "eat" anything off my clear liquid diet)... does that hurt anything? Is it really churning?

No...peristalsis (digesting food) is very different. People don't (or most usually don't) FEEL the churning when digesting food. That stomach growling won't hurt your band; eating "a little" to prevent the growling WILL hurt your band. Hang in there, do what your doc says.

Okay, good! Thanks for the quick reply. :tt2:

I just got worried after reading that, and I can actually feel the vibrations from my stomach growling.

I am not going off the liquid diet. There is NO WAY I want to have to go through that gas pain from the surgery again. I am not messing this up!