Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do all bandsters need plastic surgery after successfully losing weight??

Plastic surgery like breast lift, Tummy Tuck, or re-shaping the body? I guess none of it is a "need", but if you have this massive apron and loose arms like "wings", it'll kind of become a "need" :)

Anyone successfully lose weight that doesn't need surgery?

My BMI is 40ish, need to lose 100-110 pounds. Anyone with similar BMI and able to not have surgery? Even people with not similar BMI, any success with no surgeries? :unsure:

Definitely not everybody. There are plenty who need nothing. There are some who want some. And there are some with definite issues that need to be addressed. Much is based on how much you have to lose. Remember, though, that you do not lose anywhere near as fast as with bypass surgery so your skin does have a chance to retract. How much an individual's skin retracts back toward normal depends in large part on the age (younger people have more elasticity in their skin) and the volume of weight lost (if you had reached a high weight, your skin may have been stretched to its limit and lost much of its ability to "go back").

I'm 58 and have lost 53 out of my goal to lose 134. SO FAR, my skin looks pretty typical for my age. I can't predict the future (wasn't born with a swami hat, LOL) but I hope for the best result possible.

I still have a way to go before I will know, but I will share what my surgeon told me. She told me that a lot has to do with excercise and how active you were before gaining the weight. I was quite athletic prior to becoming the size I was prior to surgery - my surgeon told me that my body will remember and if I work out and keep fit during my weight loss I will be less likely to need surgery. So far so good, everything is coming off, and I am looking toned as I lose. Of course the real test will be 60 lbs from now!

not everyone....exercise plays a huge key in not having to have plastic surgery and i think it depends on how fast u take the weight off....i really ...really did not want to have plastic surgery...unfortunately i have no choice...my apron is causing what used to b minor skin complications to severe...i havent got to goal yet...but after my appt. with my surgeon wednesday he wants the skin removed a.s.a.p.....the good news is my insurance is going to cover it....good luck and i KNOW you'll do great!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't need it. I have a little loose skin on my upper thighs but it is not noticeable unless I am sitting and wearing something very short. My stomach has a little extra droopy skin at the bottom but that is always a covered area and it is not that bad. My breasts are the same.

I don't have a bikini body, but I do have a body that I am happy with and doesn't really need any modifications. I have exercised faithfully and it has made a big difference.

Not everyone needs it... I could live with what I have but I probably will have a Tummy Tuck atleast.

I have a small droop of skin on my lower stomach but nothing extreme. I plan on having another baby though so I will wait a few years.

Check out Jachut's picture on her profile. She looks great in a two piece bathing suit and she said she's not had any plastic surgery.

Most aren't as fortune as she is.

I love my band!

Sue

i don't "need" ps - but i wouldn't pass up some Lipo on my outter thighs. i've worked out pretty decently all along the way & as a pear shapped my upper body / tummy has rebounded nicely. my thighs - i can always pick on them; even when i was fit/trim before gaining weight.

My surgeon told me at my initial consultation - "Start saving." :thumbup:

Yeah not everyone needs it. But for those who have lose a lot of weight, removing those apron or wings may be necessary. I think it can be uncomfortable. But if you're planning to do several surgeries, there are packages available for such where in you can save a lot by doing it one at a time.

I am one of the folks who could definitely benefit from some plastic surgery. I do have alot of excess skin. Clothed i look great though. For the time being im not pursuing any plastics, perhaps in the future after i reach my goal and maintain it for at least 6 months then i will consider it.

Yeah, but that's the benefit of teeny tiny pictures, lol!

I dont "need" surgery. I also dont look quite as great as that photo would indicate. I'm a bit flabby, and I still have cellulite on the backs of my thighs. I do look like a 41 year old woman who's had a couple of babies. But I'm certainly not complaining, my skin issues are very minor and I try not to let them get to me.

The only thing I would consider is if I ever manage to have a spare 10 grand, I will get my boobs done, they're poor sad empty sacks.

I am still a long way before I even consider this. My doctor said he will look at that 2 years post-op. Until then I follow what they say and exercise. Now if I were to consider anything at all it would be the boobs :thumbup:

I know the one area that I will never touch and that would be my arms. I will learn to live with what people call "wings". It's not too bad now and I am doing everything possible to reduce them at the gym so we'll see.

Better reach your weight goal first before considering any surgery.:sad: The breast is also one of the major problems in weight loss so I guess that's something to consider as well aside from loose skin. If there's not much of loose skin, then maybe consider breast augmentation. But as I've said, there are medical packages that may include breast augmentation and liposuction or Tummy Tuck. That will give you a lot of savings.

has anyone had liposuction to the abdominal area? I'm okay everywhere else but have a blubbery belly. I work out w/ a personal trainer and have really been trying but the muscles seem to be underneath all the mushy fat.