Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, well, I got my band done two years ago, and it has been a complete success. My doctor is in Louisiana where my mother and my family live, however, I moved to England about a year ago. I visited in December and had an adjustment and everything has been relatively okay. I've been ill a bit and have had trouble eating solids, but I just returned to liquids. The reason I started this thread was because since then about 90% of the time that I have stood up, no matter the speed, I become incredibly dizzy, the edges of my vision begin to fade until everything is black before returning to normal. This normally lasts about 30 seconds, at most. All the blood pours form my face and I have been told I go as white as a sheet. This has been happening more frequently recently, and just yesterday it happened when I was in the kitchen cooking. I had not stood up or moved, I was chopping green onions. I almost cut off my fingers!

I am not dehydrated, I drink Water constantly, I eat regular meals..the only thing that I have found to help are sugar tablets..well, actually, dextrose tablets. I do not want to have to rely on these, however. I am due in for another appointment in June..help? :smile:

I don't have an answer for you but am interested in this thread because I have been getting dizzy the las 2 or 3 weeks too. I too get a lot of Water so I don't think it is a lack of water. I look forward to seeing others responses.

Have you been tested for diabetes? Sounds like you are having diabetic attacks. I know that losing the weight is supposed to help that go away, but I do know people in my family in fact that have never had a weight issue and are still diabetic. When their blood sugar drops they have episodes much like the one you described and a dose of sugar, piece of hard candy, juice seems to bring them back to normal. It's worth a shot investigating. Good luck!@!!

Go see a regular doctor. It's totally possible that what you are experiencing is NOT band related. Something's causing your blood pressure to tank. You need to get checked out ASAP! Be careful driving etc until you find out what's causing this!

I agree with restless, definately sounds like something is making your blood pressure drop quickly. It is pretty common to happen from time to time when you stand up quickly. It has a name but I cant think of it right now, something to do with changing positions and the blood pressure drops. But if it is happening frequently or when you are just standing and doind something else then you need to get it checked.

It's called "orthostatic hypotension" and it doesn't just happen to people who have normal BP. Drugs can cause it, or a TON of other things...but definitely call your doc tomorrow and tell him/her.

AND it may not be your BP...it may be a blood sugar issue etc. :smile: so safest to let the pro figure it out for you!

Thank you, everyone! I'll definitely have it checked out! I don't take any drugs or anything of the sort, I don't drink and I don't smoke...and before the op, I was pre diabetic..and my family is not prone to diabetes. I'll go see my GP about it sometime this week, if all goes well. I hope it's nothing serious!

The odds are it isn't serious...could be so many NON horrible things! but if you pass out while driving etc (or if you'd cut yourself badly) then it WOULD have a serious effect anyway. You really should call monday because odds are it's something you can fix quickly and easily but the fallout if left untreated could be bad! :smile:

Well, tomorrow is a Bank holiday so they'll probably be closed, but I'll call Tuesday and hopefully get a same day appointment. I'm surprised I've gone this far without seeing the doctor about it..I normally go as soon as something's wrong with me..x.x

OK! :smile:

Not a bank holiday here (I WISH!) but tues is surely soon enough. Just be careful. It really is most likely something very minor. So don't worry!

I have been going through the same thing... I have lost just over 80 lbs since getting my band last Aug. - I saw my doctor because I was concerned .. he tested my blood pressure while I sat and then standing ... turns out that it is just like restless monkey said "orthostatic hypotension" I now have low blood pressure and it really drops if I go from sitting to standing .. he figures that it may be weight loss related .. he says that for every pound lost you lose somewhere near one mile of blood vessels !!!

Hope that things get better for you

Shee

I have been on B/P meds for yrs. Since banding May 15, I am having to decrease the dosage due to dizziness. My B/P gets too low and I also feel weak. Hope the doc can help you out. SheeShee I hope your B/P will normalize because I know it is miserable.

i was just gonna say orthostatic hypotension as well but i see restless monkey beat me to the punch. i had some issues when i was younger with it. the 1 caution id like to add is be careful getting in and out of the tub or shower until you get this resolved. i got really dizzy getting out of the tub a few times and almost cracked my head open. i hope everything works out!

I have low blood pressure and recently I have had some dizzy spells as well. Thanks for sharing your experience because it has made me realize the importance of not ignoring my experiences.