Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been put on phentermine after being banded?

THe weight loss wasnt happening after four months of having the band (after 4 fills). I was watching what I ate and following the rules and nothing was happening. I went to a metabolic doctor who put me on phentermine. The weight is now coming off. Has anyone else had an experience with this?

THe weight loss wasnt happening after four months of having the band (after 4 fills). I was watching what I ate and following the rules and nothing was happening. I went to a metabolic doctor who put me on phentermine. The weight is now coming off. Has anyone else had an experience with this?

Im soo glad that you have posted this b/c i was successful with phentermine back in 2007, b/c it was my very first time using it...i lost about 60lbs....since then i have been on and off and cant loose anything anymore i guess b/c my body is immune to it now...but i am worried/wondering if i would have to attempt to use it if the band doesnt work...that i would have to even consider it..i hope i dont b/c i would feel horrible that even after the band i still cant lose weight unless i have that phentermine..which like i said stop really working after i lost that intial 60lbs....

Im soo glad that you have posted this b/c i was successful with phentermine back in 2007, b/c it was my very first time using it...i lost about 60lbs....since then i have been on and off and cant loose anything anymore i guess b/c my body is immune to it now...but i am worried/wondering if i would have to attempt to use it if the band doesnt work...that i would have to even consider it..i hope i dont b/c i would feel horrible that even after the band i still cant lose weight unless i have that phentermine..which like i said stop really working after i lost that intial 60lbs....

Can i ask you how long you were on phentermine and how long did it take to stop working? I think the band will work for me once i get filled to the right amount. But the metabolic doctor said i shouldve been much further in the weight loss by that period of time. Now I dont know why the weight loss is so slow for me. The doctor who did the surgery said my stomach may have come thru the band a bit but he said it might right itself on its own. All I know is that I am thrilled that the weight is starting to come off with the phentermine. If I lost 60 lbs like you did I would be thrilled. I think the combination of the phentermine and the band will work. The metabolic doctor said that the band alone does not work for everyone even if they are doing everything right. So unfortunately that must be me.

oh and p.s. please let me know how the band works for you once you get it done. You will very likely not have to do the phentermine after you are banded. Yeah I'm not too thrilled to have to take this stuff but am very happy that the weight is coming off....whatever it takes. And I had a question about your experience with it. Did you struggle to keep the weight off when you went off phentermine? I am hoping if that happens the band will help with that. So glad I can ask you about your experiences with it!

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant, is that correct? What else does it do? You shouldn't need it if you're at a good fill, I would say. That's JMO, and I'm still new at this and not a doctor, so not sure it's worth much. Have you had a fill done under fluoro?

Phentermine is an appetite suppressant, is that correct? What else does it do? You shouldn't need it if you're at a good fill, I would say. That's JMO, and I'm still new at this and not a doctor, so not sure it's worth much. Have you had a fill done under fluoro?

Yes every time he does a fill its under flouro. According to the metabolic doctor phentermine is more than an appetite suppressor. It also affects the brain in ways not 100% understood. It stimulates the metabolism and helps burn off the weight. Yes I sure had hoped the band wouldve worked better for me. Unfortunately not so for everyone. So this is working for me and I hope that when I get to the correct fill that I wont have to continue with it. However like the metabolic doctor said some people who are banded need to jump start the metabolism. I have not changed my diet an iota since the phentermine and yet 8 pounds came off in a week when i have been at almost a complete standstill for three months. So it is very obvious to me that this is much more than an appetite suppressent. Of course wish that the band on its own had produced the results that alot of people have experienced. But for some of us it doesnt happen. I am hoping that the correct fill will do it but I am not so sure at this point and was SO VERY discouraged until the phentermine.

My doc told me that he wants me to learn how to eat with the band and get used to it and we can go from there. It wasn't an outright no, but he didn't seem to like the idea very much.

My doc told me that he wants me to learn how to eat with the band and get used to it and we can go from there. It wasn't an outright no, but he didn't seem to like the idea very much.

The problem was that I was eating correctly with the band and nothing was happening. I didnt even discuss it with the surgeon. This was a metabolic doctor who specializes in this area. I am sure my surgeon wouldnt be thrilled either however I made the decision based on the fact that the band was not working despite having done everything right. Everyone seems to be in agreement that the first few months are the time to lose alot of weight pretty quickly so when that doesnt happen its really upsetting and discouraging. I actually had gone to the metabolic doctor because he was the one to run all the extensive blood tests after surgery just to make sure all the Vitamin levels are good etc. I had no idea that he would recommend trying the phentermine. But I figured hell why not see if it works.

oh and p.s. please let me know how the band works for you once you get it done. You will very likely not have to do the phentermine after you are banded. Yeah I'm not too thrilled to have to take this stuff but am very happy that the weight is coming off....whatever it takes. And I had a question about your experience with it. Did you struggle to keep the weight off when you went off phentermine? I am hoping if that happens the band will help with that. So glad I can ask you about your experiences with it!

lets see....i started the pill in feb 2007 at 281 and then by may 2007 i had got down to 225 and that was the last time i had taken it consistently like that....then like 8mnths later around feb 2008 i got it prescribed to me but it didnt have the affect like it did when i first started...the pill worked for me though because i worked with it...i ate 6 smalls meal and exercised 5-7 days a week atleast for an hour.....so i cooperated with the pill with eating right and exercise....so im hoping with the band if i go back to eating and exercising right i could be successful again!!

i have taken phentermine before and I was also successful with it. I lost about 35-40lbs, but once I stoped taking it, in less than 6months i started putting the weight back on. The pill suppresed my appitite to absolutly nothing, but because of that i didn't eat very much at all. Because i didn't eat very much i lost weight but my metabolism went to shit. I gained weight and i gained it fast ( i had never been 200lbs, but 3 years after getting off the stuff i shot up to 235 *how much i weighed b4 band*). When i started gaining weight i tried getting back on phentermine, like ahb08, but it didn't work the same...and when it didn't i became depressed and gave up. In addition to phentermine changing my appitie, it made me kind of crazyy i didn't notice when i was on it but my happys and sads were very extreme! When i would get mad...i would throw stuff at people (spoons, shoes, etc.). When i finally got off of it, the moods became even worse I would get so mad that i would black out, and after i came to I would start crying hystericaly! I didn't see a doctor about this, because i thought it was normal, so i can't say that it was directly caused by phentermine. But I can say now that I have been off of the stuff for about 3 1/2 years, I look back at that time in my life and i miss being skinny but i can't believe how CRAZY my emotions had been. I am no wheres near crazyy...i firmly believe that was the phentermine. You can't live on the stuff forever...and i feel like once i got off i crashed big time. I don't think i would take the stuff again unless absolutly neccessary! I honestly don't recommend it, unless it is your only option.

i have taken phentermine before and I was also successful with it. I lost about 35-40lbs, but once I stoped taking it, in less than 6months i started putting the weight back on. The pill suppresed my appitite to absolutly nothing, but because of that i didn't eat very much at all. Because i didn't eat very much i lost weight but my metabolism went to shit. I gained weight and i gained it fast ( i had never been 200lbs, but 3 years after getting off the stuff i shot up to 235 *how much i weighed b4 band*). When i started gaining weight i tried getting back on phentermine, like ahb08, but it didn't work the same...and when it didn't i became depressed and gave up. In addition to phentermine changing my appitie, it made me kind of crazyy i didn't notice when i was on it but my happys and sads were very extreme! When i would get mad...i would throw stuff at people (spoons, shoes, etc.). When i finally got off of it, the moods became even worse I would get so mad that i would black out, and after i came to I would start crying hystericaly! I didn't see a doctor about this, because i thought it was normal, so i can't say that it was directly caused by phentermine. But I can say now that I have been off of the stuff for about 3 1/2 years, I look back at that time in my life and i miss being skinny but i can't believe how CRAZY my emotions had been. I am no wheres near crazyy...i firmly believe that was the phentermine. You can't live on the stuff forever...and i feel like once i got off i crashed big time. I don't think i would take the stuff again unless absolutly neccessary! I honestly don't recommend it, unless it is your only option.

Wow. Well thank you for sharing your experience with it. So far my moods have been stable. It also hasnt taken away all my appetite but it does seem to control cravings which i am thrilled about. I am careful to eat just like I would with the band so that when I come off this drug it wont be a change. I think like most people on this site we have dieted our way to the weight we are now. I only got heavy after my baby was born. Gained 60lbs and after went on weight watchers lost the sixty but gained it back and ALOT more. So I think that there are alot of ways we can screw up our metabolism. I feel right now that this is my only option because the weight loss just wasnt happening and no one can tell me why. All I know is that until I get to the restriction that will work I think I will keep taking the phentermine for as long as the doctor will prescribe it. And that is providing that I dont start having any negative side effects like what you had mentioned. Thanks again for sharing your experiences with it. I will watch out for things like drastic mood swings.

If you are loosing weight will your fill doctor still give you fills?

Yes he will because i am not feeling near enough restriction and I will tell him that.

I was just wondering because I have read on some threads that when people lost weight from one fill to the next their doc wont give them a fill. I just had my first fill and lost the first few days a pound or two but an having trouble keeping it off. My doc gave me the option of going back this Tuesday if I didn't lose anything or going back in 4 weeks if I did lose weight.

I am not sure if I should go back or not...I am getting hungry so maybe I will.

Good luck with your situation.

I was just wondering because I have read on some threads that when people lost weight from one fill to the next their doc wont give them a fill. I just had my first fill and lost the first few days a pound or two but an having trouble keeping it off. My doc gave me the option of going back this Tuesday if I didn't lose anything or going back in 4 weeks if I did lose weight.

I am not sure if I should go back or not...I am getting hungry so maybe I will.

Good luck with your situation.

Well yes that is a good point. I think the key is to communicate with the doctor about whether there is restriction or not. I think you can diet the pounds away but the whole point of the band is to not be able to eat much. So I guess the doctor may think that if you are losing weight it must be working. But also as you lose weight the doc has to fill anyway. So it is sort of a catch 22 I suppose isnt it?