Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting the band May 5th in Mexico...swine concern?

I am not having my surgery in Mexico but I am still concerned overall about being hospitalized. Even if the swine flu weren't active right now, i know that I am at risk when I am cut open and in that environment.

Regardless of the risks that are out there I'm still eager to have my surgery May 19th and start my new lifestyle.

Good luck and good health to you!

Wow, thanks Phattat...that's a lot of information, thanks for taking the time. That number of deaths each year blew me away..I thought I had heard that before, but didn't buy it...Im going to look into all the sites you posted, Im definitely trying to do all the "homework" I can...my final realization...I was worried for nothing...

On a side note, It's amazing how many people are willing to respond to someones concerns on this site...Im fairly new to all this and it's comforting to know there's so many people on here wanting to give their two cents...

Let's get the facts balanced out on this topic. First, I am glad you are going to Mexico and what is key about all the Mexico phobias (Cartels/Flu/etc) is simply be cautious and know where you are going and do your homework.

The swine flu should be put into perspective with the common flu...

1. In the USA each year 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | What Everyone Should Know About Flu and the Flu Vaccine

2. In the USA eaxh year 36,000 people die from it

CDC - Influenza (Flu) | What Everyone Should Know About Flu and the Flu Vaccine

3. The Riverside county office of environmental health is currently saying "all indications are the Swine flu is a milder form of the flu we fight every year"

Riverside County Department of Environmental Health - Office Locations

4. Baja Mexico (assuming that is where you are going) is 900 miles from Mexico city where most of the reports of Mexico deaths are noted

Google Earth

5. As of April 31, Baja Mexico has not reported any confirmed cases of swine flu (10 people being observed only)..

paragrpah 9-11: Baja shuts most services for 5 days

6. There are at least 2 medications that cure the swine flu

Zanamivir or oseltamivir, Amantadine or rimantadine

7. You cannot prevent the flu or make yourself feel better faster by taking, Antibiotics, large doses of Vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin C or zinc or Herbal remedies, such as echinacea.

Influenza-Medications

8. There is no "carrier state" of this flu. Meaning you can only get it from someone that is sick not from someone "carrying" it. Source: my doctor

9. I returned from central Mexico 2 weeks ago amoung 1000's of tourists. I am fine.

10. Fly into San Deigo then have a clinic chartered driver take you to the clinic.

Just my 2 cents on this.

well many of us are fat people and this board is our social life. :thumbup:

On a side note, It's amazing how many people are willing to respond to someones concerns on this site...Im fairly new to all this and it's comforting to know there's so many people on here wanting to give their two cents...

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it...most cases of swine flu are mild and your chance of actually getting it is pretty low. Especially depending on where in MX you are going. For example, there are more cases in San Diego than in Tijuana right now!

Haha, I'm with you on that Phattat....We're soon to be healthy and hopefully not fat anymore:thumbup:

Well Pangaeus...that's reassuring, hehe Im getting mine done in Tijuana, but going to SD first...

All in all...swine flu is now the least of my concerns...Now I'm just excited! Can't wait to join the bandwagon...

Jaffa...I have no clue what you're talking about, sorry!?

I live in San Diego and they are closing schools down here and part of me can't help but think...really? Really? Cause the regular flu kills 36K a year, and lets see, thus far, in the US the swine flu has killed 1 toddler from MX who was getting treated in TX. Good luck Timah!

I had my surgery in Juarez, and people were urging me not to go because of all the drug violence. Well, I went and didn't get shot, and I'm banded! :)

I went for a fill on Tuesday, and people urged me not to go because of swine flu. Well, I went and didn't get the swine flu, and got an excellent fluoro fill.

My shuttle bus driver also told me there was little cause for concern in Juarez, as they had no cases of the virus. However, they did take the threat seriously and closed down schools - just to be safe.

I say go have your surgery - don't worry about the swine flu, because fact of the matter is - you can get it in the US too! Just stay clean-handed and you'll be fine.