Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda, skins, pills and the sleeve

I was hoping a sleevster could help me. I know on the band you shouldn't/can't drink soda. I like to indulge in a diet soda once and awhile. I know it seems silly but I don't know if I could go the rest of my life with no soda. Can you drink soda with your sleeved tummy?

Also I know skins (like from apples) are a no no / not tolerated by most. I love apples. In fact I eat one a day and have for years, granny smiths only. Can you eat skins with your sleeved tummy?

My paperwork says you can't take NSAIDS (no problem) with the sleeve but it also says no B.C pills. I don't have to worry about getting preg (hubby has that taken care of) but I like to take them to regulate my periods and cut down on cramps. Have you heard of this before?

I am supposed to shop for Protein suppliments now. I can't find anything on the web that does not have a truckload of soy in it. I am slightly allergic to soy (confirmed with blood test) and prefer not to eat it. I am also have a gastric allergy to peanuts (confirmed with blood test) and really shouldn't eat any (bad things happen) so this does limit my protein options a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I was hoping a sleevster could help me. I know on the band you shouldn't/can't drink soda. I like to indulge in a diet soda once and awhile. I know it seems silly but I don't know if I could go the rest of my life with no soda. Can you drink soda with your sleeved tummy?

I suspect that different surgeons will have different answers but mine mentioned carbonated drinks in the pre-op talk and advised against them.

Also I know skins (like from apples) are a no no / not tolerated by most. I love apples. In fact I eat one a day and have for years, granny smiths only. Can you eat skins with your sleeved tummy?

There are no food restrictions. Think of the sleeve as a long, thin, tube that leads to your smaller stomach. Since it's a thin tube, you require less food to feel hungry and feel hungry sooner because your small stomach produces that sensation quickly. You can eat anything you want once you get through the post-op diet... just smaller amounts.

My paperwork says you can't take NSAIDS (no problem) with the sleeve but it also says no B.C pills. I don't have to worry about getting preg (hubby has that taken care of) but I like to take them to regulate my periods and cut down on cramps. Have you heard of this before?

I guess this another surgeon specific preference. Mine has no problem with taking BC pills or NSAIDS. He does require Nexium 20 mg once a day for 3 months post-op.

I am supposed to shop for Protein suppliments now. I can't find anything on the web that does not have a truckload of soy in it. I am slightly allergic to soy (confirmed with blood test) and prefer not to eat it. I am also have a gastric allergy to peanuts (confirmed with blood test) and really shouldn't eat any (bad things happen) so this does limit my Protein options a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I am the opposite of you here. I'm allergic to milk and have to get soy based shakes. However, we have several experienced VSG members on this forum who I'm sure will weigh in and help.

You can't go the rest of your life without soda? What will happen if you don't drink it? ;o) Carbonation sucks the Calcium right out of your bones. It's really bad for you. Nope, not supposed to drink carbonation with sleeves.

No skins are band issues, not sleeve issues. It is nothing but a smaller version of your own stomach. Skins are absolutely fine.

I think they are using band guidelines for sleeves. NSAIDs are not a problem for sleeves nor are birth control pills. No idea where they are getting the BC issue.

I am supposed to shop for Protein suppliments now. I can't find anything on the web that does not have a truckload of soy in it. I am slightly allergic to soy (confirmed with blood test) and prefer not to eat it. I am also have a gastric allergy to peanuts (confirmed with blood test) and really shouldn't eat any (bad things happen) so this does limit my Protein options a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I didn't know most had soy. I'd try:

Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

They have everything.

I guess I have to decide if I want to be fat and drink a soda or not........ wait I don't need to even think about that one.

I guess I have to decide if I want to be fat and drink a soda or not........ wait I don't need to even think about that one.

Well said :ohmy:

Most of the Protein I see at GNC and other places is whey based. You probably just stumbled on a soy section. :ohmy: That happens on the web sometimes.

Trust me, you won't die without any soda. I was diagnosed with GERD 20 years ago and haven't had a soda since -- and I'm still alive and kickin' ...

I've found that I can't drink milk of anykind - cow, soy, rice, coconut ... well, I drink it, it just causes me some gastro issues ... seems to not be as bad if I use a Protein powder in a smoothie. Ice cream and whipped cream are killers so I haven't had those in a few years ... unfortunately, I've discovered Golden Spoon yogurt ... fat free, yet not sugar free ...

What is Dr. Aceves take on NSAIDs and BC? My GYN has me on BC more for hormones (lowest dosage available) than anything else and it seems to work for the most part; would hate to have to give them up ... tried that a year ago and talk about your own personal summer ... I would wake up drenched in the middle of the night ... and cry at the drop of a hat ... don't want to go through that and can guarantee that my DBF doesn't either! :ohmy:

Remember - NOTHING tastes as good as THIN (will) feels. And certainly not a SODA!

Trust me, you won't die without any soda. I was diagnosed with GERD 20 years ago and haven't had a soda since -- and I'm still alive and kickin' ...

I've found that I can't drink milk of anykind - cow, soy, rice, coconut ... well, I drink it, it just causes me some gastro issues ... seems to not be as bad if I use a Protein powder in a smoothie. Ice cream and whipped cream are killers so I haven't had those in a few years ... unfortunately, I've discovered Golden Spoon yogurt ... fat free, yet not sugar free ...

What is Dr. Aceves take on NSAIDs and BC? My GYN has me on BC more for hormones (lowest dosage available) than anything else and it seems to work for the most part; would hate to have to give them up ... tried that a year ago and talk about your own personal summer ... I would wake up drenched in the middle of the night ... and cry at the drop of a hat ... don't want to go through that and can guarantee that my DBF doesn't either! :ohmy:

Remember - NOTHING tastes as good as THIN (will) feels. And certainly not a SODA!

Oh oh oh!!!!!!!!!! I know this!!!!!!!!! Dr. A is fine with NSAIDs and BCs. He's cool with both of them!

I am 99% sure that the sleeve is going to be right for me. At first I was considering the band but after talking with my surgeon yesterday I *think* have changed my mind. To be honest I was already starting to have second thoughts about the band because of all the problems I see on the boards.

For those who went from the band to the sleeve, what would you consider is a postitive about the band that you don't get with the sleeve?

Thanks so much for all your responses!

I am 99% sure that the sleeve is going to be right for me. At first I was considering the band but after talking with my surgeon yesterday I *think* have changed my mind. To be honest I was already starting to have second thoughts about the band because of all the problems I see on the boards.

For those who went from the band to the sleeve, what would you consider is a postitive about the band that you don't get with the sleeve?

I'm sitting here thinking and honestly, I can't think of anything. The sleeve is like a band that actually works without all the complications.

Sorry, I got noth'en.

I'm sitting here thinking and honestly, I can't think of anything. The sleeve is like a band that actually works without all the complications.

Sorry, I got noth'en.

I didn't develop any problems with the band like reflux, erosion, slippage; I just had band intolerance. I had my band for 2 years and 3 months and like Wasa, can't think of any positives associated with it compared to the sleeve.

I have nothing to good to say about the band. I went for 11 fills over 3 years and never got restriction. What I did get was heart burn, acid reflux, esophageal inflammation, and no sleep. Go for the sleeve!

I have nothing to good to say about the band. I went for 11 fills over 3 years and never got restriction. What I did get was heart burn, acid reflux, esophageal inflammation, and no sleep. Go for the sleeve!

Did Dr. A find a hiatal hernia during your sleeve?

Did Dr. A find a hiatal hernia during your sleeve?

I forgot to ask and he didn't mention it. LOL.

I have something good to say about my band...

It is sitting on my dresser collecting dust and no longer inside of me, YAY! WasA, when are we going to have that band burning party?