Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda, skins, pills and the sleeve

I have something good to say about my band...

It is sitting on my dresser collecting dust and no longer inside of me, YAY! WasA, when are we going to have that band burning party?

Did you get that survey Dr. Campos sent out to band to sleeve people? I invited he and Dr. A to the "KILL The Band" party!

I used a few choice words in explaining my quality of life with the band... then Nina reminded me that Dr. Aceves would be reading those surveys too. (Whoops)

I am so thankful for all of you sharing your experiences. I was definitely headed for the band at first, but because of this forum, I discovered the sleeve and feel like I truly have found the tool to help me get the healthy life I've always wanted.

I love love love diet coke too. I've been drinking the stuff since I was a kid. But if giving it up means I can wear the clothes I wore when I met my husband, I'm there yo! I guess I'll just become an ice tea and light lemonade freak instead of a diet coke queen. :-)

Since you can't eant and drink at the same time anyhow, I think I'll manage.

Rose

I don't know yet if there is anything I liked better about the band. I know that I could eat way too much with the band even with a good fill. it was difficult for me to lose weight with it and evenmore difficult to keep it off.

I have only had my sleeve going on 3 days. I have had juice Water and tea and have not felt one bit hungry. I remember being on Clear liquids for 24 hours with the band and I was starving the entire time.

I think the 10 days of clears isn't going to be as difficult as I thought.

Thanks again for your input guys. I am going to do the sleeve.

I found out I had a fatty liver during my ultrasound today. This is common so not a big deal but I had dreams of not needing to do the pre-surgery liquid diet because my liver was perfect. So much for that dream. :thumbup:

I had a fatty liver before I was banded. My dr. made me get an ultasound. I had one a couple of months ago and all signs of a fatty liver are gone. That's one good thing the band did for me. With the amount of food that I could eat though, I bet it would have come back. For me, the band was almost like being on every other diet I had been on all my life. They call it willpower, and I am going to love being full on a smaller amount now.

I had a fatty liver before I was banded. My dr. made me get an ultasound. I had one a couple of months ago and all signs of a fatty liver are gone. That's one good thing the band did for me. With the amount of food that I could eat though, I bet it would have come back. For me, the band was almost like being on every other diet I had been on all my life. They call it willpower, and I am going to love being full on a smaller amount now.

I guess it is from a western diet, being overweight (sometimes) and drinking. I think the ultrasound doctor did not believe me that I only have a drink once or twice a year. I have been reading on it and I don't like the looks of how it progresses to serious liver problems sometimes. I would like to have it reverse like you have!

I am supposed to shop for Protein suppliments now. I can't find anything on the web that does not have a truckload of soy in it. I am slightly allergic to soy (confirmed with blood test) and prefer not to eat it. I am also have a gastric allergy to peanuts (confirmed with blood test) and really shouldn't eat any (bad things happen) so this does limit my Protein options a little. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Profect Protein has no soy, no sugar, no carbs.

The best Protein shake in my opinion is the one WasA turned me on to. It's whey Gourmet Peanut Butter and chocolate. You get it from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore!

It's yummy. I hear costco has a brand called Premier that is 160 calories and 25 grams of Protein and several people have told me it's tasty. It's nice sometimes to not have to mix stuff up in a blender, like when traveling. It only comes in chocolate and it's whey based as well.

DownInSoCal: I know before my band surgery that I had to go off my estrogen and for 2 weeks after my surgery. I know that my doc also said not to get pregnant for at least 1 year after the surgery, so I would think that BC would be a must!

One thing I think is weird is Dr. Aceves sends you home with a bunch of paperwork. I couldn't find anywhere on there that it said not to drink soda.

Everyone says it will stretch the pouch, and I believe it would. I swear I can't find it in the paperwork though.

I can't drink soda anyway because I have a bladder problem and it makes me burn like i have a UTI so I gave it up a long time ago.

Did you get that survey Dr. Campos sent out to band to sleeve people? I invited he and Dr. A to the "KILL The Band" party!

I used a few choice words in explaining my quality of life with the band... then Nina reminded me that Dr. Aceves would be reading those surveys too. (Whoops)

I got the survey and completed it. Seeing Dr. Aceves didn't do my band, I had no issue being honest with how I felt about it.

Daisy, I don't remember seeing anything about the soda in my paperwork either. But, I do remember Dr. Campos telling me the day before my surgery that I shouldn't drink it.

One thing I think is weird is Dr. Aceves sends you home with a bunch of paperwork. I couldn't find anywhere on there that it said not to drink soda.

Everyone says it will stretch the pouch, and I believe it would. I swear I can't find it in the paperwork though.

I can't drink soda anyway because I have a bladder problem and it makes me burn like i have a UTI so I gave it up a long time ago.

In the pre-op talk Dr. Aceves said no carbonated drinks should be a rule.

I never got a survey but I would like to fill one out.

I am kind of worried about my friend that is a big diet coke drinker. Dr Aceves or Dr. Campos never mentioned it to me. It's something I already knew though. Dr. Campos really never spoke to me about diet at all. Dr. A spoke to me about choosing the right foods.

She is the type of person that would say "well they never told me" Or "It's not in the paperwork" She is already trying to figure out a way to get out of the leak test. She made me ask Dr. Campos if they could put a tube down her instead of making her drink it.

He said no, that it could damage the staples. I told him he was going to have his hands full with her.