Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

swine flu

Anyone freaking out yet? Mexico is shut down. No movies, no sporting events, etc. I feel sorry for anyone due to have their band surgery in Mexico around now! The only thing that concerns me is the delay in getting the stats in. Average hospitals don't have a test for swine flu, it has to be sent away. Results take weeks to get back...

So stay away from Mexico folks.

I am concerned a bit because I go to a gym (IN CA) where there is always a crowd. I take disinfective wipes and hand sanitizer but when I go to yoga class my hands and face hit the dirty floor. Just keep washing your hands and don't touch your face..... easier said than done!

I live in CT. It's here now. The town where I work, Southbury, has a family there who recently visited New Mexico, and have come down with it. It is about 15-20 minutes from my home. All we can do is pray it wont affect us. The people in that town are wearing masks, and I wonder if I should on Friday when I have to go to work. I work in a convelescent home. Oh well, I believe it's in Gods hand.

I live in CT. It's here now. The town where I work, Southbury, has a family there who recently visited New Mexico, and have come down with it. It is about 15-20 minutes from my home. All we can do is pray it wont affect us. The people in that town are wearing masks, and I wonder if I should on Friday when I have to go to work. I work in a convelescent home. Oh well, I believe it's in Gods hand.

Don't go to work if you even THINK you MIGHT be getting sick. The oldsters are some of the most at-risk population.

I just feel sorry for everyone who has surgery scheduled in Mexico. I posted a few days ago about media frenzy and how I'd keep an open mind for the moment. Well several days later I can say there's NO WAY I would be going to mexico for surgery at the moment. Because its not just about you, its about bringing it back into a healthy population.

There's cases in Australia too now, its very scary.

Anyone freaking out yet? Mexico is shut down. No movies, no sporting events, etc. I feel sorry for anyone due to have their band surgery in Mexico around now! The only thing that concerns me is the delay in getting the stats in. Average hospitals don't have a test for swine flu, it has to be sent away. Results take weeks to get back...

So stay away from Mexico folks.

Too late -- Mexico has already brought it here to us. :ohmy:

We have 2 suspected cases here now. All school systems in Our county are closed until Monday/ or further notice. The 2 schools where it might be at is closed for 7 days. What kills me is they say don't panic/ worry, yet with all the media attention and hype and the Prez putting it up as a level 4(?) (I think)...people can't help but panic. Kinda like the bird flu a few yrs ago. Or better yet Y2K in the count down to the yr 2000. IMHO if it wouldn't be fussed about people would continue on and if they get sick would go to the Dr. Now they are going at the slightest little twitch! If I get it I get it, I will go to the Dr. and say O.K. I need some Tama flu or whatever you can give me. I am out of work right now because of the panic. If I would actually get sick then it is even further behind I will end up getting on bills.

I liken it to a tank full of perhonas with a piece of raw meat. A feeding Frenzy!

O.K. I am done with my rant.:thumbup:

Before I vent, I will say for the record: I would probably be worried about this if I was going to Mexico for surgery, and I totally understand why this is certainly a big deal for someone that is traveling to the epi-center of this mess and will be inside a hospital, etc. So please don't mistake my irritation for someone that can't recognize that in some circumstances there ARE those that should be aware of what's going on, and concerned about the whole ordeal.

But for the most part...

I am SO SICK OF HEARING about the swine flu already! It is such a stupid media thing, they are all having a fit over it just because there's nothing much else going on.

FACTS from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for the 2008 Flu Season:

During September 30, 2007 – May 17, 2008, World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories in the United States tested 225,329 specimens for influenza viruses; 39,827 (18%) were positive.

(CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Flu Activity)

It is harder for the CDC to speculate an exact number of adult deaths that were caused by the flu, because many of these deaths are in the elderly, young, or those with existing respiratory disease. I saw an interview with a man from the CDC this morning and he said that approximately 20,000 people die each year, though.

Yet the Fort Worth, TX ISD shut down 140 schools for a week and a half because ONE kid got the SWINE FLU.

A strain that, according to the CDC is less severe AND has a smaller course.

I mean, I get it. It's a tragedy that people have died. It is sad, and it really sucks. But do we need to get so worked up over this, so much so that it's causing panic? I feel so bad for the people that have one or more of the 40 THOUSAND (40,000) children that go to a Ft. Worth school - in economic times such as do we need people skipping work to hang out with their (bored) kid? And don't think you can take them to the mall or movies or to eat pizza, because the news is also saying don't go to crowded areas or Chuck E cheese or anything of the sort.

I wish the news could get onto something else for a bit! Didn't some fake "reality show" dumb "celebrities" get married or something? Where's the good old Octomom? Let's get all up in her business again for a while... (that's something I never thought I'd say)

Go away PIG FLU!!!!!!! I am washing my hands of you!!!!!!!!

:(

To be honest, the media IS probably hyping the story a little much.

The real risk of the swine flu is NOT the mortality rate, but the potential of entire cities / states / nations catching it acutely at the exact same time (because nobody has any immunity to it).

It's not that thousands would die directly from swine flu, but think of the chaos that would ensue if all the policemen, healthcare workers, supermarket employees, the people that keep the power grid running, etc. all got sick and were incapicitated at the same time.

It IS a potentially scary scenario.

Before I vent, I will say for the record: I would probably be worried about this if I was going to Mexico for surgery, and I totally understand why this is certainly a big deal for someone that is traveling to the epi-center of this mess and will be inside a hospital, etc. So please don't mistake my irritation for someone that can't recognize that in some circumstances there ARE those that should be aware of what's going on, and concerned about the whole ordeal.

But for the most part...

I am SO SICK OF HEARING about the swine flu already! It is such a stupid media thing, they are all having a fit over it just because there's nothing much else going on.

FACTS from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) for the 2008 Flu Season:

During September 30, 2007 – May 17, 2008, World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories in the United States tested 225,329 specimens for influenza viruses; 39,827 (18%) were positive.

(CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Flu Activity)

It is harder for the CDC to speculate an exact number of adult deaths that were caused by the flu, because many of these deaths are in the elderly, young, or those with existing respiratory disease. I saw an interview with a man from the CDC this morning and he said that approximately 20,000 people die each year, though.

Yet the Fort Worth, TX ISD shut down 140 schools for a week and a half because ONE kid got the SWINE FLU.

A strain that, according to the CDC is less severe AND has a smaller course.

I mean, I get it. It's a tragedy that people have died. It is sad, and it really sucks. But do we need to get so worked up over this, so much so that it's causing panic? I feel so bad for the people that have one or more of the 40 THOUSAND (40,000) children that go to a Ft. Worth school - in economic times such as do we need people skipping work to hang out with their (bored) kid? And don't think you can take them to the mall or movies or to eat pizza, because the news is also saying don't go to crowded areas or Chuck E cheese or anything of the sort.

I wish the news could get onto something else for a bit! Didn't some fake "reality show" dumb "celebrities" get married or something? Where's the good old Octomom? Let's get all up in her business again for a while... (that's something I never thought I'd say)

Go away PIG FLU!!!!!!! I am washing my hands of you!!!!!!!!

:thumbup:

Takes your mind (and the news' attention) off the bailouts, no? :ohmy:

The pig farmers are up in arms because sales are down, but all I want is bacon. So I think we have to call it HZ 1200- JTW - PIG FLU. Figure as Americans we would lose interest long before we get to Pig Flu.

I was fine until someone let that moron Joe Biden in front of microphone. "Don't go on the subways" Really???? So we should all sit in our plastic bubbles and wait to die. I mean how could someone be in public office for as many years as he has and still be so CLUELESS????

Bailout?? What bai...

OK yeah, good point. I was sick of hearing about that as well.

Now in Dallas it's the Cowboy's practice stadium in the news. It collapsed because of bad weather, and they interrupted the interview with the Derby winner on Saturday to talk about that.

Maybe we need another rant about media in general. :smile: