Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I haven't been on this site in a long time probably mostly out of shame....I had lapband surgery a year ago and have lost 30lbs, but feel like a complete failure becuase it would probably be more if I could get my lazy ass to the gym. Has anyone else out there gone through this and what words of encouragement can you give to help me get through this little pity party? Don't get me wrong, those 30lbs are great for me, but I am tired of not winning this battle of the bulge.

I too am struggling with barely a 20 pound loss in seven months. Severe osteoarthritis in both knees makes exercise that I used to love like walking is hard. I believe u must find soemthing that is fun for u and stick to it. Best of luck. Never give up!!!!!!

I certainly can relate. Some times it is just not a priority. The good news is that you have that handy tool already. It is time to get it out of the toolbox and learn to use it. Exercise is critical. For me, I had to suck it up and just do it. I've always loved to walk, but in Mid-January, that wasn't much of an option most days, so I showed up to the gym one day and got busy. I haven't stopped moving since. I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging or anything because I truly believe that it really makes the difference. Exercise has so many benefits that out weigh any possible reason you can come up with to not do it. My reason not to do it was my crazy schedule. You've got your own reason. What ever that reason is you need to re-think.

teebutterfly:

I can relate as well. I had my surgery in August 08 and have lost around 50 pounds. However, I lost 1/2 of that with the pre-surgery diet. I would have thought by now that I would have lost around 75 to 100 pounds. For the past 3 months or so, I have been stuck at the same weight. Everyone is right, the surgery put a tool in place and it is up to you to use it. On the weekends, I still overeat and revert back to old habits. I am a firm believer that you have to find inner motivation to want to lose weight. I have lost 50 pounds, and I haven't been at this weight in a long long long time. I'm having trouble finding that motivation to get me going again. Your not alone!

When was your last fill? For that matter, when did you last see your doctor/NP? Go. They want you to succeed, too! Exercise is so important but not everybody can manage a trip to the gym. It's impossible for me because of my commute time. When you don't get home until almost 7:00 and have to cook dinner for your family, you just don't get back out to the gym. I walk -- everyday, at lunch, for 30 minutes. On the weekends, I get up earlier than everybody else and I go walk before the responsibilities of the day catch up with me. Now, for the arthritis issue, google "chair exercise". You will find a wealth of things you can do sitting down. They aren't load bearing and can help. I have a friend who is waiting for knee surgery; she had to lose 20 pounds to meet the requirements of her hospital in order to be banded. She found the chair exercises and added to diet, she succeeded. Good luck!

I think you are very brave and honest to come forward with your problem. I haven't been banded yet, (June 12th) but I think a trip to see your surgeon is a great idea. Maybe they can't fix the problem for you, but maybe they can give you some new found inspiration. Don't give up! Don't let your mind trick you in to excepting your weight as it is now...and make you think that's all your going to lose. Summer is nearly here...it is a great time to try to increase your activity level. Do some serious soul searching and reach down in there deep and grab some encouragement!!!! Maybe join weight watchers to jump start you again. Even if your diet needs to be a little different than what they offer...the support you get from the group is always helpful. Maybe you can find someone in your area who has had the surgery and join forces! You CAN do this. You HAVE to...that's what this is all about. I wish you the very best of luck and really hope you can change up something in your life just a little to give you that extra boost you need right now!

OMG I feel like I'm reading my own thread I posted 2 weeks ago!!! I had my surgery almost a year and a half ago and have only lost about 25Lbs !!! I was so ashamed of my progress I did not want to go see my Dr. I avoided it for 6 months .... Well I finally made an appointment and went a week ago and had a fill and am getting back on track and we agreed since I 've fallen of the BANDwagon I should see him every other weekend just to hold myself accountable and watch my progress . So u can do it!!!!

I agree with what has already been suggested, go see your Doc. I finally got off my hind end and went. I feel MUCH better about it now. (And I wish I could say I lost more than 20lbs, much less 30.)

As far as exercise goes, I still do not go to the gym. I know people there stare at the fit good looking people, but I am too self-conscious. I went and bought a Wii fit. I LOVE IT. The exercises are fun and it keeps track of your weight for you. I also got the Jillian Michaels workout "game" for the Wii and it is a good butt kicker for me. I actually enjoy exercising with those two things for the Wii.

No matter what you do, GO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR! You will be glad you did. Lord knows I am. I had a fill and am back on track. (13lbs since last Tuesday!!!!)