Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal?

Okay, so I feel like I have a fist right between my breasts (sorry to be graphic) and I feel like I need to burp, but every time I try to burp, it hurts like a big dog. I'm taking small sips and not using a straw, plus, I'm walking some. My incisions are super sore, but the tight feeling is making me crazy. Well, so is the gas pain. My shoulder feels like it's going to fall off. Is this normal or should it have dissipated by now?:smile2:

Thanks for the input...

I had a similar experience. It took almost 8 days until that feeling went away for me. I really had a hard time getting my liquids in. I was so naseated that I didn't even want to move but I think a combination of time and taking small 10-15 min. walks several times a day helped. I think I was very swollen after the surgery and the gas didn't help. It was pretty rough. I know that in the morning at about day six warm liquids helped. Just try and stay hydrated and move as much as you can tolerate. It is always a good idea to check in with your dr. I guess the rumor is that some dr's actually fill the band a little during surgery so perhaps you have a little fill and you are swollen? I don't know if I have any fill but I do feel 100% better (had surgery on the 16th). Hope you feel better soon.

I had the exact same need to burp but so painful that I went to the Surgeon and was afraid that something was really wrong he said that it was my port b/c it is sewn/hooked into the muscle that everytime you use your core it causes that to hurt eventually it will heal and you won't notice it mine has all pretty much gone away and I am now 9 days out.

I had the same feeling at 5 days post-op and I bought some GasX thin strips (the ones that melt on your tongue). I took one and about 15 minutes later had the longest burp ever and instantly felt better! I haven't had that pain since...I think it was just residual gas from surgery. Try that, maybe it'll help you! I can definitely feel your pain, but it WILL get better in a few days I promise. At 7 days post op I was starting to get out and about and remembering what it felt like to be "normal".

I just got a phone call from my surgeon! Isn't that cool!?!?! I got to ask him about the feeling the need to burp and not being able to. He said exactly what you guys said! He's not too concerned and said it would pass with time. I have taken two walks today. One around the block and another one down to our local laundromat (our dryer decided to die on us) which was much longer. Did well on both, just still have that feeling like someone has their fist around the top of my stomach. So very strange. Thanks for the support Ya'll are amazing folks!

When they pump your tummy up with gas during the surgery so they can see more clearly, some of it is left in there after they have finished. Because we are upright most of the time, all the gas rises to the top - and sits right under our diaphram - the big muscle which goes up and down when we breath in so that our lungs inflate etc. This will hurt until the gas dissipates which can be up to a week or so depending on how much you had left! Just take it easy - move around a lot, and remember, someone's been prodding around inside you for an hour, you are not doing to feel great for a wee while. I am 3.5wks post op and I feel 90%, I still wouldn't do any abdominal exercises though!!

Here is the picture of the diaphram:

post-255640-13813138335927_thumb.jpg