Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off from work

I am getting banded on Sept 14. I was scheduling the time off with my manager but then thought about my company's rules regarding sick days. They say that after 5 consecutive days of being absent, you have to go into short-term disability. I know I was thinking about the worst-case scenario.

My question is, how long (on average) were you off from work? (I have a desk job in the stressful financial services industry.)

Thanks!

cissy, my company has the exact same policy, just five consecutive days off. I ended up taking seven work days off. But I have a very understanding boss and he let me book the five sick days all in one lump and then book the other two at a later time. Just ask, if your boss is understanding this shouldn't be a problem.

The problem I have with going on short-term disability is that the insurance company that my firm coordinates with is notorious for sending paychecks late. If going on disability can be avoided, I'll do it, just to make sure I get paid on time (I'm the breadwinner in my family).

5 days should be enough. Through in the weekend and you have 7 days of healing !!

Who wants to deal with all the short term disability paperwork anyway?

I took four days off and returned to work the next week. That would have been four work days and two days on the weekend. I did ok but I work at a desk and went home and went to bed.

okay, I don't understand the problem of going on short term disability.

Well for one....reduced pay.

For two, no guarantee your job will be there when you come back.

For three....scads of paperwork.

well you are having surg on wed (same as me) I have a desk job but lots of up and down. so I went back on mon for a couple of hours and then tues a couple of hours wed i took off and went full time thurs, no problems since. You would be back on wed and should be fine unless you have a physical job

I filed short term, Not alot of paperwork actually it's all for the doctors. I was out 8 full days and 4 half days. It was giving to me so I took it. Heavens I pay enough to get some extra time off. I was paid 100% while out, they only way you wouldn't have your job when you went back is if you took over the aloted time. I say take it if you can and recover. Everyone is so differnt so what happens to one may not be able to happen to another. So just becareful when it comes to you!!! That is what is important.

I am a Sr. Admin. @ my company and took Wed - Mon off. I felt fine to work on Tuesday. I went home Tuesday evening and went straight to bed. The rest of the week was good. I didn't have any trouble at work and was able to get through the days and evenings with no pain medication.

I say go with the 5 days + the week-end and you should be fine. If not call in on Monday and worry about the short term disablility when you get back.