Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

too much exercise?????????

i've been told by friends and support group members i exercise too much...as of now i jog 2 miles and power walk 4 miles...6-7 days a week.....i just introduced bike riding into my routine...and i will now switch of between bike riding and jogging/walking .....i have not stepped foot into a gym since i've had surgery....although i wish i could...and i will come summer...i contribute a lot of my weightloss to exercising....but i will always argue that exercising too much (which i dont think i do....and now i love to exercise....i have so much energy....not to mention it feels soooo good once u get use to it...and feels even better to actually move!!!!!!!!and i have some very toned legs :rolleyes:) is soooooooo much better then when i sat and didnt lift a finger.....so the debate 2-day is too much exercise or none at all....lol

Hey nothing wrong with getting obsessed with the exercise. Now while I don't do nearly as much as you do I say maybe take a day or two off a week. Or if you don't want to take a day off maybe only walk 2-3 miles instead of 4 miles a day. you will still have all the benefits of exercising. Have you discussed any of this with your doctor? If so what have they said to you?

my surgeon knows how much i exercise...he says as long as i feel good and i'm healthy...y would he tell me not too...he said to me at my first follow-up appt...walk...walk...walk and i listened...listened...listened....lol

I don't think that there's such a thing as to much exercise as long as you're not injuring yourself. Keep it up, you look great and your an inspiration to the rest of us :rolleyes:

Do what feels right to you. Just don't overexert yourself. Fitness is important. Look at the people on the biggest loser that's all they do all day is workout. Maybe one day you will be a certified fitness instructor.

You've traded one obsession for another, but at least this one is healthy. And I don't think I'd worry overmuch about it unless it reaches a point where you are stressed out if you can't meet that 'scheduled' amount every day. Then it's an unhealthy obsession...when it takes control of your life.

I think they are jealous! And I am too!!! I have heard of 'addiction transfer', basically you changed from one addiction to another. And since it's a healthy addition it's OK, if it's affecting other areas of life then it's a problem that needs a little tweeking. Like if you are denying time with family and friends, or it's affecting work, etc, etc. Otherwise good for you! I hope that I, too, can have that addiction!!!! :rolleyes:

GIRL!!!!!!!!! you worry to much about what others think of you... you have to let it go. think about what you accomplished and how far you gotten. no one helped you you did this all on your own. its better that you excerise instead of sitting at home eating your life away and watching people get thin on tv. people that dont excerise sometimes dont understand the benefits of it. i had to get a port revision because i was excerising and my ab muscles popped out the stitches for my port. i remember asking the doctor so i wouldnt have to have surgery if i didnt excerise? and am i doing to much. and he said no way. your doing great and to much excerise is never to much. they had a dietian there that i spoke with since my journey began and he said i look way better then the ones that lost 100lbs and look sick because they didnt excerise.

so my advice to you is stop stressing about the negative feedback and start looking to your goals your almost there and you would be surprised how much better you look then the ones that are knocking you.

REMEMBER POSTIVE PEOPLE MAKE POSTIVE OUTCOMES!!!!!

Like others have said, even if it is addiction transfer it is a healthy addiction, unless it takes over your life to the exclusion of everything else.

Before surgery I worked out at Curves, and then would stop for a pizza on the way home. I live alone so I would consume the entire pizza for dinner. As I got closer to surgery I decided I had to bump up my exercise and started walking. I found a park near home with a 2 mile nature trail. I don't so much power walk as walk for distance. I carry peanuts to feed the squirrels (passive weight lifting) and how often I stop depends on how many of them show up for treats. The ducks like peanuts too.

Anyway, I try to go around twice as a minimum (approx 4 miles). I noticed my slacks getting looser even before surgery. In the winter it is dark before I leave work, so I go to Curves about 3 x a week and hit the park on weekends. Now that I have daylight I go to the park almost daily, 2x around weekdays, and on weekends, depending on how I feel and how much time I have I may go 3 or 4x around. When it rains during the week I go to Curves. Perhaps not quite as much as you do, but I only take about 1 or 2 days off a week, if that.

My surgeon said exercise is very important for having success with the band. You don't have to kill yourself at the gym, but you do have to make a committment. I can't say enough about plain old walking. I have gone from women's 22 to misses 10 in slacks. I was doing laundry over the weekend and had a WOW moment taking stuff out of the dryer. I held up a pair of size 10 pants and said to myself, "Wow, my ass really fits in that!" It was a warm fuzzy for sure!

Edited by PATCHELTON

i LOVE all ur guys feedback...my legs r gearing up to take our jog/walk...its almost quiting time @ work!!!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as exercising to much. The practice where I had my surgery done also has a full equipped gym and personal trainers for us patients who have undergone lap-band or gastric bypass. I exercise everyday and was wondering the same thing. Both the doctor and personal trainers have assured me that cardio workouts can be done EVERY day without causing any harm to your progress or body. However, that you should only lift every other day, giving your muscles time to recover and heal, since you tear them down to build them up. The only exception would be if you lifted with legs one day and arms the next, would you be able to lift everyday. And since I read your workouts consist of cardio you are fine! Everyone keeps asking me how have been able to lose at a steady pace, my answer EXERCISE!!!!!!

Think of it this way...

Your hobbies before might have included watching TV, going to the movies, eating out at restraints, etc. In other words all sedentary activities - as a matter of fact they should be called INACTIVITIES.

Now your hobbies include jogging, walking, bike riding and other fun things to do... and they are actually ACTIVITIES.

Don't let them get you down girl...

-BSG

The only I can say about the excersising is just becareful. I am no therapist but the same thing happened to my cousin. She lost about 55 lbs from just excersise and diet. I was very proud of her cause she really worked hard. She replaced her addiction to food to addiction with excersise. Now she has become serevery depressed and is having body issues. She still thinks she is fat and is having problems with not eating anything with fat. She has started going to see a theropist. She is starting to get it under control. All I say is just becareful. When she was starting her journey I am sure she didn't think she was excersising to much either. I am not saying don't excersise cause that is what got us fat in the first place.... but just do it in moderation. You look great by the way and I can't wait to be banded..... Keep up the good work....

Its actually not THAT much exercise, it just sounds a lot for totally sedentary non exercisers.

If you're constantly tired, start to get sick, dont sleep well and get depressed, then perhaps you have to start thinking that your body needs a bit more rest.

But what you are doing is fairly low intensity cardio, even though to an unfit person it would not appear so. Its gentle on the body, fairly low impact, unlikely to result in injury and unlikely to seriously exhaust you. Covering 6 to 8 miles per day on foot is entirely reasonable and probably what most of us ultimately need to do to reach and maintain a normal weight, as opposed to a just a better weight than what we started at.

Our bodies are designed to move and very well equipped to cope with this amount of exercise.

When you ramp it up and do the really hard stuff like full on weight lifting and interval training cardio, then you have to have days off to recover, you will wear yourself down to nothing doing that daily. But a day off might mean walk 6 miles at a nice pace, not lie on the couch with a bag of chips.

Its only addiction if its affecting your life - if its causing you stress, putting other people out, if you're doing dangerous things like going out alone at midnight to run. Its not addiction transfer at all, I dont think, unless you are seriously weird about having to miss a day - I mean, I dont like to miss a day if I can help it but that's because consistency is the key to good results, not because it makes me panic. If I'm busy, I'm busy, end of story. And I have to do stuff like get dinner for my kids so if I've run out of time, I've run out of time. Being committed and dedicated to your routine in a healthy way is not addiction, its what it takes to maintain a fit healthy body. Being easily distracted to miss sessions becuase of a busy life is much more problematic and a much less healthy attitude.