Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think i feel my port...YUK!!

i had an itch and all of a sudden i felt something under my skin...i am assuming it is my port...it is right above my largest scar... anybody have any feedback

I can feel mine too, if I hold my arms above my head you can see an outline of mine. I am only 5 weeks out and it is already visable. I was hoping for a low profile port, but guess I got a regular one. ~Mandy

Mine is about an inch below my biggest scar (port incision) and I can feel it when I press. It's round, smooth, and hard. I used to press on it alot, feeling kind of grossed out in an interested way. Now it's just there, no biggie. You'll get used to it. Just let it remind you of your wonderful band!!!

Yep can feel mine too! Mine actually moved! It was just below my largest scar...and I went for a follow up the other day and said to the doctor, whats this?? I was feeling a lump about two inches HIGHER than my port scar....So I showed her she said thats your port! I said NOOOO Its down below the scar...she explained that as you loose fat your muscles move and tone up and get tighter... She said its a good thing that it moves, it means my muscles are getting toner...which is what we want to happen. The port was sewn to the muscle wall...PHEW Thought that it broke free and was roaming around in there aimlessly! ehehehehe

i felt something under my skin...i am assuming it is my port...it is right above my largest scar...

Yep most likely your port..and it is possible the more weight you lose the more you wil lfeel it..Not a bad thing though :)

My port has been driving me nuts and I was a bit worried about it today. I am 16 months post op and have had mild irritations before. When I went for my first fill a year ago the doc found it was a bit tilted, after a car accident in december the doc said it was a bit more tilted but would be hard to prove it was because of the accident. I believe my port sits up on its side, so when I lay on my stomach it has a sharper than normal edge pressing against the skin. Today it just seemed a little bruised in that area and tender whenever I use my stomach muscles for anything (bending over, getting out of a chair, etc). Of course my mind instantly freaks to the what if's and erosion but I really think the port site is just annoyed from my feeble attempts at laying on my tummy. It always gets uncomfortable after I've been laying there for 5 minutes and I have to flip over. I had a long tough work day and I've been really sad and shocked about that hurricane. I'm probably just being hypersensitive about my port irritation. My port site has sucked in over time but has really stayed right below the stitch mark otherwise. When I was a new bandster I was always worried about my port site and signs of infection or otherwise. I am not normally a worrier but about that time several others on this forum who had used the same surgeon were having port problems and infections. Teresa

When my husband first wanted me to feel his port I was totally and completely grossed out. I mean the gore was rising sort of freaked out.

I actually find rubbing my port no so muc soothing as reasuring. Yup, it's there, yup, I really have a chance.

It worries me a bit, as it seems to be the rule here left side under the ribs. I carry my daughter on my left hip, you know how it's totally natural to do it on oneside and completely unco to do it on the other? I'll put my back out carrying her on my right hip!

I know it'll be tender for a while after surgery but I can image a toddler gripping on with her legs will irritate it a bit too.

It worries me a bit, as it seems to be the rule here left side under the ribs. I carry my daughter on my left hip, you know how it's totally natural to do it on oneside and completely unco to do it on the other? I'll put my back out carrying her on my right hip!

I know it'll be tender for a while after surgery but I can image a toddler gripping on with her legs will irritate it a bit too.

My son is 2 1/2 and it can be done. You really have to watch for those little knees and heels! Especially while diaper changing. His head is to my left, feet to my right when changing him and still, he lifts those chubby little legs up and gets me right in the port! Actually, carrying him isn't bad, but maybe I'm not remembering well...I think I held him a bit lower there for a while. And yep, port is on the left, he's on my left and I'd drop him if I tried the right side. If you can get a hold of your daughter's left foot and tuck it up, that helps. Know what I mean? Anyhow, it can be done. No worries, just be careful!

thanks for all the replies... i didnt sleep good last night because i was worried something was wrong.. I also remember when i went for my last fill that it was lower so i was scared that something happened to make me feel it now but i guess losing 42 pounds would be the reason i now feel it LOL.. I guess it is a good thing it just freaks me out a little..thanks again to everyone;-)

Anyone else heard of this? Thanks Jacilyn

Yes, lots of people have it in the center. Not sure about whether it's the old or new way, but it works.

I was a little worried about where it would end up, found out it will probably be on the left and decided I wasn't going to mess with my doc's routine by putting a wrench in his plans and asking for it elsewhere. I just let him do it. I like it where it is just fine.

Don't worry. Your doc doesn't want to do something out of the ordinary with you. I'm sure there are disadvantages to any location though. I'm happy with my "I'll take it how it comes" decision.