Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on 3/23 and I am really struggling to get in my Protein. I literally gag on every Protein Drink I try. I did okay on the preop diet with the protein, but now I cannot get it down!! I have tried vanilla and chocolate and even bought powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored and tried mixing it with juice and still cannot get it down. It literally makes me gag. I have also tried Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream, Odwalla Protein drinks and Slim Fast low carb. I tried doctoring them up with Frozen fruit and such but still no luck!

Any suggestions from others that have a hard time with the protein supplements? I can eat soft foods now so I try not to eat anything now that doesn't have protein but I'm still not getting enough protein.

not sure what you've tried but check these out: Atkins and EAS Advantage. try putting it in a blender with a bit of milk. it makes it thick and a bit richer and might change the texture enough if that is why you are gagging. if you don't have a blender, may i suggest the MAGIC BULLET?? it's fantastic!! good luck

I cannot have artificial sweetners, so my Dr. ok'd me having this, but i buy, carnation Breakfast essentials (no sugar added. it HAS sugar, but no EXTRA sugar to make it sweeter). it's in the blue box. made with F/F milk it is 13 grams of Protein, but i add 2 servings of liquid egg whites (found in the cold section next to egg beaters. each serving is 5 grams of Protein and you DO NO TASTE IT!)

with the egg added to it, i end up with 23 grams per drink! it REALLY taste like chocolate milk. no yucky protein drink taste!

hope this helps!

I was told not to worry too much about getting all the Protein in until I was on solid foods - and then it does become much easier. I too like the Atkins Advantage shakes (chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry) and have one every morning. It works out well because my band is really tight in the morning and I need to drink my Breakfast anyway. I eat refried Beans, cheese, cottage cheese, tuna, ground turkey, ground beef. I keep track of my calories, protein, etc, on dailyplate.com and I usually am right at, or over, the 60 grams that my doctor wants me to get in each day. When I first started, I thought I would never be able to get in 60 a day, but it isn't as bad as it sounds. Good luck to you!! Becky

Have you tried Isopure 0 carb? It's more like drinking kool aid than a shake, (I find the grape's the best) It's got 40 grams of Protein per bottle, I usually cut it into 2 servings to avoid dumping.

Personally, I like the nectar brand chocolate truffle. It is sweet but has no sugar and in 8 ounces, you get 23 gms Protein, Also just okay is the dutch chocolate by Isopure. You get 50 gms protein in 12 ounces. I agree it is a challenge to find a good protein drink, but once you find one you like, life sure is easier!

Going by my LEAN body mass, not my total body mass, I need about 60 grams a day. Most people overcalculate becuase they count their fat mass in as well. I can do 60 on real food so I dont supplement Protein at all. I hate Protein Shakes too, they all make me want to hurl.

I dont count protein really at all, other than roughly occasionally just for interest sake. I must be getting enough, I'm lean but with muscles, I'm healthy, hair, nails and skin are fine, and I have plenty of energy. I dont think supplementing is really necessary unless you're too tight to get in enough solid food.< /p>

I cannot have artificial sweetners, so my Dr. ok'd me having this, but i buy, carnation breakfast essentials (no sugar added. it HAS sugar, but no EXTRA sugar to make it sweeter). it's in the blue box. made with F/F milk it is 13 grams of Protein, but i add 2 servings of liquid egg whites (found in the cold section next to egg beaters. each serving is 5 grams of protein and you DO NO TASTE IT!)

with the egg added to it, i end up with 23 grams per drink! it REALLY taste like chocolate milk. no yucky protein drink taste!

hope this helps!

I also do the CIB no sugar added but I add 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk for 8 grams of protein. can't taste the dry milk.

good luck

Going by my LEAN body mass, not my total body mass, I need about 60 grams a day. Most people overcalculate becuase they count their fat mass in as well. I can do 60 on real food so I dont supplement Protein at all. I hate Protein Shakes too, they all make me want to hurl.

I dont count protein really at all, other than roughly occasionally just for interest sake. I must be getting enough, I'm lean but with muscles, I'm healthy, hair, nails and skin are fine, and I have plenty of energy. I dont think supplementing is really necessary unless you're too tight to get in enough solid food.< /p>

Thats all fine and good but the thread starter is less than a month out from surgery not 4 years. They still need to count their protein and can't eat all foods yet.

Do you post just to see your own accomplishments?