Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else start eating mushy food earlier than the 3rd week?

I am into my 2nd week of having the lap band...I have lost 16 lbs already & am so excited. I have a question....did anyone else out there eat any of the "mushy" stage early? I had a couple of small bites of refried Beans last night & feel great & noticed I felt a lot better as I think I needed the Iron in the beans. I mean eating just chicken broth & cream Soups really leaves me with no energy to exercise. I know alot of this depends on the person, but would feel better knowing that there may be others like myself...thank you so much for your POSITIVE feedback.

If you only want "positive"..ie permission to cheat, then that's not me. Check w/your surgeon on Monday; the point of restricting food is to allow your band to heal in place. Peristalsis causes the stomach to move so eating ANYTHING too soon can cause movement and jostle your band loose. And no, you won't feel it move, but it does. If not a problem now, you can cause improper placement and set yourself up for a slip or erosion later.

Does that mean no one "cheats" and gets away with it? No. Is it smart or good to do? No. Can it hurt YOU even if someone else got away with it? Yes.

Please understand we're all hungry and weak and so on; docs know this! But there's a reason you're on liquids. If you are in true agony call your surgeon on monday and see if you can advance.

on the 5th day i thined out some refried Beans with a low soduem mexican Soup broth and have been pretty creative in my meals,i hope i dont cause someone elese to make a mistake and eat to soon but i ate small amount and like you felt great,i used my habenerro hot sauce in my broth allowed soup from the third day and nothing hot or spicy has bothered me ,i;m glad you asked that question i had my band on the 6th and was worried i was overdoing it i went to work on the 3rd day also and on the on the 5th started walkin 1 mile every am not real fast but steady pace i feel great and when i do eat i feel satisfied with a very small amount of food compared to what i would eat before ,so far so good.

Please check with your docs! We're all different..but I asked if I could have some thinned refried Beans (I live in S. Texas; they are a staple of life down here! LOL) and was told NO WAY! Just because it doesn't hurt you right now doesn't mean it isn't hurting you for down the road.

It may be ok, it may not be. Ask your surgeon and be safe, that's all I'm saying!

yea after reading the thing you wrote about it moving around i think i;ll chill a little and stay more Soups you had some good points,,i love texas man !i wish i was down there in fredricksburg right now sippin' on a lone star and hearin' some gary p,but its nice in oregon,good luck!

Definitely check with your doctor or his office. Everyone's different. My dietician gave me post-op rules that had me 1wk on liquid diet; 2nd & 3rd wks mushy; wks 4+ regular food (high in Protein, low in carbs). Good luck with your journey :tt1:

Thanks to everyone that replied, My 1st follow up appointment is on 4/22/09 I will ask my doctor about the mushy food stage. This has been a very emotional journey for me and I have seen positive results since the day of my sugery 17lbs already lost and cheating is not an option for me a little hunger pains is all but worth a life time of health and happiness.:tt1:

Better do what your doctor tells you to do. Not worth the risk. I'm sure those refried Beans did taste wonderful (I remember my first taste of them), but you don't want to mess anything up. You will soon be able to have soft foods and then onto solids. You might not be as strong or energetic as you want to be right now, but that will come too. Just focus on healing and doing what you are supposed to be doing. Good luck to you!! Becky

All docs have slightly different to very different post-op eating plans. Mine advances you to mushy foods on Day 10 post-op. I had no problems and nobody else I've talked to at the doctor's office has mentioned any issues with that. BUT your doctor may have a reason for a longer period on full liquids. On day 10, I went to KFC and got a small serving of mashed potatoes (obviously, no gravy) and let me just tell you, those were the best darned instant potatoes I ever ate, LOL. If you are doing full liquids now, add purees of various things to some of your liquid meals.

HI EVERYONE!

I was banded 4/14/2009, so im a newbie bandster. My doc told me to blenderize my Soups. OMG that is like eating my 11month olds baby food. It was so disgusting I poured it out in the sink. I'm starting to feel like all this was a mistake. I need some encouragment. I'm hungy. My daughter and husband are eating McDonalds and i'm sitting here with my mouth watering! :tt1:

Please check with your docs! We're all different..but I asked if I could have some thinned refried Beans (I live in S. Texas; they are a staple of life down here! LOL) and was told NO WAY! Just because it doesn't hurt you right now doesn't mean it isn't hurting you for down the road.

It may be ok, it may not be. Ask your surgeon and be safe, that's all I'm saying!

Ok, strange but that was on one of my list of things to eat for week 2!!! insurance sent me to one nutritionist and the docs sent me to another - and both lists are different from each other. A bit irritating to me, but I agree - go with what your doctor says.

HI EVERYONE!

I was banded 4/14/2009, so im a newbie bandster. My doc told me to blenderize my Soups. OMG that is like eating my 11month olds baby food. It was so disgusting I poured it out in the sink. I'm starting to feel like all this was a mistake. I need some encouragment. I'm hungy. My daughter and husband are eating McDonalds and i'm sitting here with my mouth watering! :tt1:

Why don't you try eating soups that don't need to be put through a blender? Like creamed soups or Tomato Soup? It gets a lot easier the more you stick with it. If it bothers you that your family is eating foods that you cannot, then go to another room when they are eating. You need to keep yourself focused on the goal of healing well. Drink some bullion or blended potatoe Soup. Just take it one day at a time and follow the drs. orders. You'll be moving on to mushy food soon enough.

I promise you that it gets better.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to add fuel to the fire. I once found my husband eating in the basement because he didn't want to eat in front of me.

I think you should express to them that it's very difficult for you to be around foods that you find tempting at this point in your post-op phase.