Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diffence between "stuck" & "full..Need Help!

Hey guys I am hoping some of you might be able to offer some advice.

I was banded about 5 months ago and have had 3 fills so far. I now have 5 cc's in an 11 cc band. After the 2nd and third fills I definitely felt restriction but to me restriction means that after a few bites of food I feel very stuck and uncomfortable but in no way do I feel full. Once whatever I have eaten passes I am ready to eat again.

I know there is the issue of mental hunger but I also know that 2 or 3 small bites of a chicken breast as a meal are just not enough for me and it is frustrating. It often takes me more than an hour to eat just a small portion of food.

The weight is definitely coming off much slower than I imagined and have only lost about 15 pounds since the 2nd and 3rd fill (I lost an additional 15 pounds during the liquid phase post surgery). So ultimately I lost 15 in the month after surgery and have lost another 15 combined in the past 4 months.

So I just keep asking myself is this it? Is this what the result of the surgery was supposed to be? Eating a little bit, feeling stuck, waiting 15 minutes to eat more?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Gary - I understand your frustration and feel the same way. I have been following the link where people are tracking everything they eat and am surprised that a lot of them do just have a few bites of this and that for each meal. I often have that overfull pain feeling and I don't know whether I am stuck or overfull - this is when I don't PB. I have been taking pepcid ac and it has helped a bit with inflammation.What I am wondering, though, is this: Are we so used to eating a larger amount that we (in our head) think we shouldn't be satisfied and thus our frustration and head hunger? My fill doc said it has never really been documented how little we need to eat to survive and maybe all our preconceived ideas are really skewed from advertising, habits, portions in restaurants, etc. I do know this though - eating should not cause us discomfort so 1. maybe we are too tight? 2. maybe we really don't need all the food that we think we should be able to (or are longing for) 3. remember that you could have first bite syndrome and take a first bite, chew really really well, wait a few min and see if better. Anyway, please forgive this long post but I sure hope someone is gonna help.

This is really really common. But what I've found amongst people I actually know in real life is that this phenomenon, know as first bite syndrome, seems to pass so that it becomes not as bothersome. I suffered from, it and it had passed by a year out, my DH has suffered it and it has passed for him now at almost a year out. I've talked about it with people on line and with bandster meetups locally.

What you have to do is be excruciatingly careful with your first few bites, take a teeeny tiny one, chew well, swallow, wait a few minutes and so on. Your stomach seems to eventually wake up to the fact that food is coming and start to function. A hot drink before you eat helps a LOT.

Nonetheless this is a pain in the behind and really gives you problems when you want to eat out and/or are eating under a time limit. But it does appear to pass for most people. I never get this anymore.

And remember too that every fill level is transient early on, if you are filled a bit too tight, as you lose weight, you loosen up and you'll suddenly realise you're eating more, eating isnt uncomfortable etc. So if this is contributing, it will probably resolve over a smaller time period.

Edited by Jachut

Wow! This is so me! I am here right now. I keep eating and feel full and somewhat painful. I have NEVER vomited! I just wish my brain would say stop! but so far I am still fighting that battle. Good luck.

I have this problem as well. I started to think of my first couple of bites "primer bites" Just getting my stomach ready.:thumbdown:

I now consciously take a bite of the most solid thing on my plate and chew the hell out of it. Then I wait 3-5 minutes before I start to eat agian. I find that it stops eating from being painful.

It really is just the rules: chew really well and eat slow. I just can't stop eating like a fat person. Like it is my last meal and i haven't eaten in a month.

Try to really think about that first few bites and rest in between.

I am coming up on 2 month anniversary. 2nd fill today 5.5 cc in 10cc band. Starting BMI was 38.5 Weight loss so far = 33.8 lbs.

For me, the pain of eating is what keeps me under control, not the feeling that I am full. I get to the point of pushing away the food because I just cant take the pain. To me it feels like knives stabbing me in the throat.

Someone else said that we have to get used to not eating like a fat person. I think that is the key. I used to swallow five slices of pizza in about 10 minutes, now I could not possibly eat one. But I feel like I want more food, I just cannot do it with the stabbing pains.

Hey, whatever works, but I feel like a dog wearing a bark collar. That is what is keeping me from eating.

This is my biggest problem also. I get something stuck and I can't eat anymore although I'm not feeling full at all. I have learned that I have to really pay attention to my bites - especially when I'm really hungry - and chew, chew, chew!

I am so glad to hear that others are like this. I know that if I eat I will hurt but yet the bottom part of my stomach still feels hungry. I did not know if this is what they call head hunger or what, however I am glad that others feel the same way.

I completely understand this question and although a little over a year out, still struggle with it. As previously said, it is all about the rules-tiny bites and chewing like mad. That, and the head vs body hunger are huge factors. Eating out socially is very difficult, but having a supportive spouse helps. One thing I will add is this new found "listening" to my body - something I never did before. I could eat and eat and eat - I could keep up with men larger than me- until I was sick to my stomach and in pain! I did not listen to my body then, but I have to now, or suffer embarrassing and painful consequences. I still PB at least once a week, but the number of times has been greatly reduced and boy, pain is a great teacher!

That said, I am a slow loser, but still thrilled with the band and think it is the greatest thing I ever did!

It's nice to see there are other out there that are going through what I go through. If I can only take a few bites at meal time - then I need a snack in a couple of hours. If I can eat a decent size meal, it will last me longer. When I say decent size - I'm talking 1 cup - maybe 1 1/2 - not 3 bites. My weight loss has also been very slow.

This is exactly what I need to hear about. I have the same problem. I can take two bites and get "stuck" yet know I have not eaten enough. I hope to hear what every one else has to say about this. I know about eating slow, but wish I was not able to eat quite so much. I was filled yesterday and now have 6 in a 10cc band. I fill it a little more but not to good hopefully it will kick in soon.

I have the same problem too. I thought I had food stuck before until tonight when it really happened. I had a fill 3 weeks ago, and since then I have pretty much been able to eat the same as before the band. I was pretty discouraged. All of a sudden, I get something that I normally eat stuck. I have been very sick tonight, I'm still not sure if it has passed. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson.

I normally eat and then feel that "almost painful" feeling and then stop, even though I'm actually still hungry. In fact, I have heard my stomach growling right after eating.

I think I have finally reached the point to where I am not going to eat more just because I don't feel full. I honestly thought the band would make me feel not hungry, but in all actuality it just keeps me from overeating while I am still actually hungry.

Does anyone know what you should do if you feel something is stuck and it won't pass?

I also was under the impression that I would be full and not want to eat any more. But, thats not the way it is. I LITERALLY CANT eat alot at one time anymore. Otherwise, I will throw up. I'm still hungry. Anyone would be after eating a half cup of food. But, Im gratefull this is working like that though. I've lost about 70 lbs so far since I started the whole process last June. I recently stopped PB'ing because its not good to do and I am trying to eat better. I wish I had known all this prior, but I still would have had it done anyway. I look and feel great. But that stuck feeling is only releived by bringing up the food again, because it wont go down and Water wont help.

I have the same problem too. I thought I had food stuck before until tonight when it really happened. I had a fill 3 weeks ago, and since then I have pretty much been able to eat the same as before the band. I was pretty discouraged. All of a sudden, I get something that I normally eat stuck. I have been very sick tonight, I'm still not sure if it has passed. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson.

I normally eat and then feel that "almost painful" feeling and then stop, even though I'm actually still hungry. In fact, I have heard my stomach growling right after eating.

I think I have finally reached the point to where I am not going to eat more just because I don't feel full. I honestly thought the band would make me feel not hungry, but in all actuality it just keeps me from overeating while I am still actually hungry.

Does anyone know what you should do if you feel something is stuck and it won't pass?