Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled for April 20th and scared!

I'm not so much scared about the surgery but scared about making it through those two weeks of liquid post-op after my two weeks of liquids pre-op and then getting on with the rest of my life...it's frightening...exciting but frightening none the less.

I feel like I'm waiting on the line for a roller coaster.

Welcome Kara

I don't blame you for being scared. I was, too. I am 15 days post op and am doing great. I know how daunting it is to think that you aren't going to eat any food for awhile. It's amazing that we can muster up the will power to do that. I wondered, if we have enough will power to do that, why do we need surgery to lose weight? I actually asked that question at a pre-op seminar and the Dr said "I couldn't have PAID you to come here and ask that - that is the BEST question anyone has EVER asked" and the answer is.....(drumroll) ..... we have the will power - we've lost weight on restricted diets before - we can do this - BUT - we cannot sustain that kind of will power for a lifetime. that is what the band will help you do.

TIPS FOR MAKING IT THROUGH: Protein drinks will save your life. Some of the better ones are: Atkins, EAS Advantage, Muscle Milk. Drink one of those and you are not hungry for awhile. Truly not hungry. It's amazing. And SO healthy. My nails are growing, my hair is thicker. It's just great.

They are about 1.75 each (4 pack for $6.50) better prices at costco, watch for sales etc). sugar free Jell-O is fun to eat but it won't do anything to help you if you are hungry. sugar free popsicles - same thing.

I admit, I haven't had dinner with my family in a month (my requirements were 14 days pre op and 14 days post op). That was hard. We didn't go out during that time if it involved a meal as so much of our social lives are wrapped around food. but, that's ok. it isn't for very long.

If you are in the right mindset, and if you've come this far, you must be, you can go a bit farther and do this. Feel free to email me anytime. And good luck!!

Hey Kara

You will be surprised at how "okay" it is. I too had the same fears, I am 2 weeks post op and I have been absolutely fine. I have eaten with friends and been to parties and out to dinner. On those occassions I had pureed versions of what they were having (at the party) or mexican refried Beans and sour cream (at lunch) or out to dinner (mashed pumpkin and gravy) nothing exciting but it was not the end of the world. I haven't been hungry at all - except one day. Keep your fluids up and try to keep your Protein up, and just eat whatever will go down. My doctor and nutritionist both said to me - this is not a time to lose weight - this is a time to heal and to let your body adjust to what has happened to it!!!

Mainly though - you will get through it! I promise. Keep telling yourself ONE DAY AT A TIME and "This too shall pass!"

We're all here to support you if you need advice or want to vent!! xx

Start looking up Soup recipes and get stuff to make homemade Soups. They are delicious. So far I had Tomato gorgonzola soup, spinach bleu cheese soup, potato cheese soup, carrot ginger soup ect. They were all so good. Another thing is that you really do fill up fast. Like after about 3/4 or a cup I'm stuffed.

It's suprising how easy it gets (so far). I've been cooking for another person and would usually pick as I cook and even though it's crossed my mind I easily let it go. I'm still failry recent but haven't relly been that hungry to eat anything. I thought after surgery and the next morning waiting till my swallow test not eating would be difficult I ended up leaveing the hospital before I even got a tray. Today is the first day I would say I was hungry think I'll go have a popcicle.

Thanks guys, I'm wondering how are you all doing on exercise. Truth be told I am going from an extremely sedentary life, to trying to work out at least a little. Do you find THAT to be hard? I'm finding myself still tired most of the time, although I am starting to think that more of that is mental. Do you guys find your energy improving?

Thanks guys' date=' I'm wondering how are you all doing on exercise. Truth be told I am going from an extremely sedentary life, to trying to work out at least a little. Do you find THAT to be hard? I'm finding myself still tired most of the time, although I am starting to think that more of that is mental. Do you guys find your energy improving?[/quote']

I wouldn't say that my energy has improved at all but more that I have the motivation, drive and desire to be successful this time. I want the band to work. I need the band to work and my doctor said that the band works better if you exercise. So, for what it's worth, I'm working out. Right now I am only walking. But I'm 8 days post-surgery and I haven't been cleared for anything else yet. It's amazing what one mile extra a day does. I feel better about myself already. And when you feel better about yourself, that's all that really matters, right?

Best of Luck with your surgery....you'll be fine.

:sneaky: