Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

when can we return to exercise

I was just wondering if anyone knows how long we have to wait after surgery to be able to return to the gym to exercise? I was banded 8 days ago and everything is going great and I don't return to my Dr. till next week. I figured I would ask him then but it seems like such a long wait and besides walking I was wondering what else I might be able to do?any suggestions or ideas?

I was just wondering the same thing! As you can tell- I had my surgery 22 days ago and am itching to go to the gym. I feel pain in my port incision sometimes still. And am a little scared to exercise but I know I need to start a routine!

When did you all start exercising after your surgery??

I was banded on the 26th of March. I started with walking around my house for about 10 mins. The next week I did 15 or 20 outside when able. I just started back my arm exercise with my 5lbs weights, but I do this while sitting yet so I dont strain my belly too much. I still have port tenderness and my next visit to my Dr. I will ask when I can really get moving. It will varry with each Dr. and patient Im sure. Good luck Everyone!

I was told to walk and avoid abdominal or weight work for thirty days. I have been walking for 30-60 minutes since my 2nd post op day without problems. I have a treadmill where I do a 30 min mile if it's rainy. I just got the P90 aerobic and circuit training DVDs. I was able to get thru the 30 min basic level work out. It doesn't stress the mid-section and the most weight I use is 8 lbs and for some routines I drop back to 5 lbs. It took me about an hour to recover, but it is just enough for a beginner. You only do 8-15 reps of about 18 exercises. Everyone is different, doing this moderate exercise on alternate days is my immediate goal. I have lost 13 pounds since April 8th. I am very happy with my progress. I have head hunger and trying different ingredients in the shakes has kept it controllable. Looking forward to the mushy food stage but also cautious about slowing down my rate of weight loss. WHAT WAS SOME OF YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH RATE OF WEIGHT LOSS WHEN YOU MOVED FROM SHAKES TO MUSHY FOOD?

I lost about 15 lbs the first two weeks on liquids, then my last 2 lbs came after my first week on smooshy food. OMG! that first bite of smooshed scrambled egg was heaven LOL And cottage cheese sure was a treat too. I was told that anything I can smash with a fork is ok for smooshy food. So I have been enjoying my veggies again. It sticks with you so much better than the liquids but still tough. Im anxious for the next step of Reg food again, 4/23. Kinda miss chewing but Ice can trick your brain in that department but not good on the teeth. LOL

Banded on a Thursday; in the gym the following Monday. Unlimited elliptical and treadmill work allowed by doc. Light weights allowed (25 lbs or less). 2 week wait period for ab work. 4 weeks allowed some higher weights. 6 weeks post-op push a bulldozer for all my doc cared.