Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally found out what kind of band I have- do you have this one?

I got the report from medical records today and I have a 10 CM band (the length of the band) that holds 0-4cc and I do not have the AP Standard #10 (which holds 10 cc) that I was told I have by my doctor's nurse. This is one of many reasons I changed doctors the other day and now will be going to someone more experienced and who hopefully knows what kind of band he puts in his patients.

BTW, this band is not used much anymore I am told, and there was an expiration date of June 30, 2009 listed with all the band info. I was banded 8/22/08. I am going to find out what that means, too.

Does anyone else have this band? If so, what has been your experience? Thanks.

the 4cc band is the older style. I know nothing about it. I have the 10cc Lap Band name brand 10cc band. I don't think the band actually "expires" but the 4cc band is definitely older technology. I know some people who have the 14cc band, too.

I did some additional research on these two types of bands and the one I have is a smooth continuous tube whereas the AP Standard 10 cc is scalloped (like the letter mmmm) creating little chambers that I understand minimize the contact of the band on the stomach and might reduce chances of erosion.

Yes the 4cc band is the old style; still in use widely by surgeons in Mexico but not so much here in the USA!

I got the report from medical records today and I have a 10 CM band (the length of the band) that holds 0-4cc and I do not have the AP Standard #10 (which holds 10 cc) that I was told I have by my doctor's nurse. This is one of many reasons I changed doctors the other day and now will be going to someone more experienced and who hopefully knows what kind of band he puts in his patients.

BTW, this band is not used much anymore I am told, and there was an expiration date of June 30, 2009 listed with all the band info. I was banded 8/22/08. I am going to find out what that means, too.

Does anyone else have this band? If so, what has been your experience? Thanks.

Hi Cleo's Mom, I believe I have this band because the wallet card they gave me says that my band holds 4cc's. When you find out more information on this band, will you please post it? I do not know when I will be going back to my surgeon so I won't be asking her any questions until then. My experience with the band for the past 7 months has been good.

I found this web site mostly to compare lap band to realize band...but it does have a little info about the 4cc band

http://www.wlshelp.com/lap-band-vs-realize-band.html

Thanks, restless, I made a copy of that information. Plus, and here is the funny thing, on that medical records report it listed as manufacturer: General Store. What did he do, pick it up at Wal Mart on his way to surgery? I called Allergan and gave them the serial number and it indeed was one of theirs, but general store? Who knows? Maybe it was an old one and he wanted to use it up before starting to use the newer ones. I may never know.

Cleo's Mom...

I'm so glad you found a Dr that knows what he's going on. I hope they can give you the support you need.

Update on the 4cc band: I just did some research and found out that this band should be filled in small increments usually less than 0.5cc and as little as 0.2cc can make a difference in effect. The average volume to achieve the sweet spot is 2.3cc. My (former) doctor put in 2cc with the first fill and 1cc with the second fill (total 3cc) and then blamed me when I had all those problems of reflux, heartburn and pain. Could he possibly have convinced himself that I had the 10 cc band? All the more reason to leave him for a doctor who knows what he is doing.

I have the 10 cm 4 cc band which was in use more commonly when I had mine over three years ago.

Its quite quick and easy to get to good restriction with this band as it does not take much - I think my first fill was 1 cc, then I had 2 at .5 cc and since then I've only had .2 and .1 cc fills, and I have 2.8cc in mine now.

I actually need just a touch more, as I'm able to eat what is to me alarming amounts, lol, like entire sandwiches at times.

My band has been absolutely and utterly trouble free, no reflux, no excessive pbing, no swinging from overfilled to underfilled, just steady and reliable. I must say though, I attend Prof. O'Brien's clinic so I'm quite confident in the skill and knowledge of all the surgeons there.

Those fills are inconceivable to me - simply ENORMOUS, and most definitely not proper practice. Something really ought be done before this guy causes somone some real damage - your experience has been bad enough!

Jachut - I got that information from CORE - Center for Obesity Research & Education in Australia. When I found out the information about my band it had an expiration date of June 30, 2009. My (former) doctor took over a practice of a retiring bariatric surgeon and it is my belief that the practice came with bands on hand and he wanted to use them up before they expired (expiration date, I think, meaning the guaranteed sterility date) - otherwise it doesn't make sense using a band that is not used much anymore having been replaced by the AP Standard bands - which have a different interior tubing.

I would love to have the experience with my band that you have had with yours and hope to achieve that with my new doctor. My appt. with him is on May 4th for an upper GI to see if the problems have resolved. Thanks for your input.

I was told by a Dr at a support group that I attended( not my Dr) that the size of the band depends on the size of your insides. so this Dr decides which size to use when you are on the operating table. My Dr (the best in NYC) rarely uses the 4cc band but has said that if the 10cc band is too big for someone, he will use the 4cc band. They are constructed the same way, being that both are Allergen. It is the Realize band that has a different construction around it. My Dr and others have wrote articles about the Realize Bnad being more likely to cause problems. My Dr never uses them. He showed me both bands and explained it to me in my pre-banded days. I have learned so much!!

Barb - the 4cc band has a smooth inside tube whereas the 10cc VG band has individual chambers - something like scalloped - that hold the Fluid. There are those who say that design is better because less of the inner tubing touches the stomach reducing the chances of erosion. I don't know. My new doctor only uses the Realize band and his hospital has been named #1 two years in a row for bariatric surgery in my state - based in part by the very low complication rate. I don't anticipate having to have my band changed, but it would have been nice for my former doctor to give me the correct information about what band I have.