Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you wear on surgery day?

I'm in the planning stages...I've been approved and got my release from my regular doc, now I'm just waiting for surgery on 4/24....I was thinking of buying a nice summery kind of dress so nothing rubs against the incisions but I'm concerned about the over the head motion...and since my dad is the one taking care of me after I REALLY don't want him helping me undress lol.

I heard button-down shirts but I don't have any...and what kind of pants? I guess everything will be loose after the liquid diet but I doubt you can wear a belt...

OMG i just don't KNOW!!!! lol HELP!!!

I wore a long cotton summer dress to and from the hospital but when I got home it was annoying me because the weight of the dress annoyed my incisions. I changed as soon as I got home into a pair of yoga pants (they come right to or below my belly button and my incisions are all above it) and a very light weight soft cotton tshirt, the over the head motion is totally fine, just go slowly. I've been wearing the same kind of thing since then.

Good luck to you!

You should be able to put your arms above your head. I had no problem putting on a tee-shirt.

As for pants, I wore comfy sweatpants. Your incisions will be high enough that you don't have to worry about the waistband touching any scars or hurting. I'd also suggest sweatpants as they are "baggy" which is "comfortable" and comfort is what you are going for in the beginning.

This might be TMI, but what I had trouble with was putting on panties. In the beginning I needed my mom to help me with that. Its hard to bend in the beginning and can cause discomfort or pain.

I'm 4 weeks out so if you want to ask more questions, feel free.

ok, good, ty! gonna have to surf old navy to see what i can find!

congratz on your surgery yesterday - how's it going so far??

Rebecca that is TOOOOO funny....But for my own TMI, I think I'd rather go commando than have my father help me with panties!!!!

Actually I wore pull on pants and a tee-type top and got it put on over my head just fine; they can "saline lock" your IV and it's no big deal. I also put on my panties (no commando here)

You have pain meds on board and it isn't that hard to reach bend etc....

(You'd have to shoot me to make me wear a dress and then I'd still come back to life and switch to pants, but that's just me LOL)

Wear what YOU are comfy in. It will be fine.

Well i stole my boyfriends sweat pants i mean ..i brought them so really they are mind...:smile: HE IS A BIG BOY ABOUT 6 FOOT 3 200 LBS SO HE IS ON THE TALL END AND I AM 5 FOOT 4 AND A BIG BOOTY LOL..IM GONNA WEAR MY COLLEGE HOODIE AND A BIG WHITE SHIRT BUT HIS SWEATPANTS ARE THEY WAY TO GO ...I JUST HOPE I DONT GET CAUGHT :thumbup:OH YEAH THE PANTIES THING I THINK I MIGHT HAVE SOME PROBELMS WITH THAT ILL JUST WAKE UP EARLY FOR "PUTING ON PANTY TIME"

Edited by hannahj914

I wore very loose sweatpants, a white cotton undershirt and a sweater...and slip on shoes! I balanced myself and was able to get my underwear back on no problem.

You shouldn't really have to worry about your incisions because you'll probably come out of surgery wearing a stretchy binder on your tummy that goes right over top of them.

Leave a pillow in the car that you can put over your tummy so the seatbelt won't bother you on the way home!

Good luck!

i wore a t-shirt dress and some sandals. wear something loose and comfy, ideally something that's easy-on easy-off. you'll probably end up wearing it home from the hospital too.

I actually wore jeans to and from the hospital without a problem, and as for pulling things over my head, well I could get dressed just fine by myself. It honestly wasnt a big or painful surgery to me.

Dress simple and comfortable. I wore a loose sundress with slip on shoes. Soft bra, soft panties.

I wore a loose fitting cotton dress with my crocks and undies. In the hospital I was in a gown and my undies (no bra) with no problem. At home I was comfortable in my jammies. Everyone is right the incisions are high enough that the band from pants/panties shouldnt hurt or rub. I did have 1 incision under my left boob but wearing my bra after a few days didnt bother it.

Good Luck!

I also wore sleep pants and a loose fitting tee shirt. What I definitely recommend is that you have a pillow with you when you leave the hospital. I would hold on to it as I got in and out of the car. It helps keep your muscles in place. I also used it when sitting on my couch and then getting up. Good luck!