Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

travelling for the first time since being banded

Hi all,

I was banded January 20, and in St. Louis for the women's final four (any banders out here with good suggestions for places to eat that have mostly good choices/size portions?). I was good to go while delayed in the airport and flying, and yesterday in the arena (I'd brought Protein drink, Atkins Protein Bar and a Crystal Lite packet), but after all day standing in lines, I went to try to find a store to buy large women's jeans, and lo and behold saw a Red Lobster (ugh, temptation!). I did get an appetiser (grilled scallops) and a lobster tail only and felt ok, but this morning, the tempting waffle house called my name and now I feel over full and decided I'd come here to tell all and get back on track.

I figure that I'm walking a lot more than at home, and hopefully won't gain too much, but do have supplies here in the hotel that I'd already shopped for, so didn't need to go out (got deli turkey, cottage cheese, shredded cheese and crackers, things I could bag up and take into the arena for tonight). I'm off to walk to the arena shortly, and have my baby bowls of turkey and cheese with a baggie of crackers with me (I did call ahead to get permisison for special food).

Anyone have other good travel tips to help stave off the temptation and magetized draw into the hold favorite restaurants? Thanks, Nancy

I will be going on a cruise this summer. HA, talk about temptation. I am not sure how well I will do with all of that food. But I have learned to remember protien first when I am out and about.

Normal vacations I have planned ahead. I have packed appropriate Snacks. If I have a frig in the room I will take or buy when I get there yogurt, cheese sticks, cottage cheese etc... so that I know that I will have a protien healthy snack.< /p>

At restaurants plan to eat off the childrens menus, buy an appetizer. or split a meal with a friend.

And don't think for a minute that you will be walking more and that will help balance out your bad food choices. You will gain weight for sure or at the very least stay the same.

Good Luck, Have fun!!!

Hi....Just try to plan ahead, but be SUPER careful. Last time I was on a trip and decided to eat, not thinking I was overeating, for some reason I got super sick and ended up feeling lousy for 4 hours on a plane ride home. Be careful, don't be adventurous with food while you're far away from home, it could really put a damper on your travel plans.

Thanks so much, I definitely took turkey slices and cheese and crackers to the arena tonight. I started with a Protein drink, and was so hungry in the 2nd game that I ate my packed food - so I am feeling pretty good, but man, walking around the arena where they sell roasted nuts (done right there, and make it smell so good), kettle corn, pop corn just keeping my mind off the smells took concentration!

I plan to get in the hotel pool tomorrow, and know I'm walking much more (about 2000 more steps than my average at home according to the pedometer that I just set - I was curious what I'd do while here).