Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know I sound like an incredible baby, but I'm very scared of the first fill I have coming up next week. I have an awful needle phobia and hear it is a really large needle. Does it hurt???

i too am very afraid of needles. i had 3 kids without an epidural cuz i was so afraid of needles. i had mt 1st fill this past friday and it wasnt too bad. the needle was bigger than i expected but im thinking a small one wouldnt go through the port properly. now im not gonna lie and say it was painless. but it wasnt that bad and was not sore for a long time afterwards either. and i keep reminding myself that a needle poke every few weeks is a pretty small price to pay for how great my jeans look today!! good luck!

No, not at all! Most will offer you a numbing shot before and it's really your choice. My dodctor's Physician's Assistant does the fills most times and I guess it's experience but wow, is she good! [Anitra, I'm talking about you!] I haven't felt the needle yet. The only thing you may feel is most will withdraw all the Fluid in your band and then put it all back along with whatever amount has been decided upon. I can't say that I've felt anything with the withdrawing but there's a quick, weird feel when she puts the fluid back in...I guess pressure is the best word, but it certainly isn't much. My first fill was too much. I couldn't even swallow my own spit. So she put the needle back in and withdrew 1cc. THAT I felt...not the needle, but withdrawing that bit of fluid felt like a rock in my chest was dissolving and it was a fantastic feeling of relief. I am asked to lie back on the table and put my arms under my head. You can't see the needle (and since you have a "thing" about needles, make sure not to look for it, LOL) and the whole thing only takes a minute. Good luck. Let us know how it went.

First of all, don't look at the needle. Look up at the ceiling. Now, I have had two fills which required 3 sticks and I felt no pain at all. The first fill the only thing that hurt was pulling the bandaid off because she had to take a little out. It didn't hurt. It did leave me with a small amount of bruising, but no pain.

Thank you for the quick responses. I've just been dreading this because of my heightened needle phobia but I'm sure I can get through this - and I obviously need one as I have lost only 3 pounds since my band on 3/5/09. I'm going to keep a positive attitude and get it over with!!

Cut it out, you guys are scareing me, i hate needles also and my 1st fill is on the 13 th. :thumbup:

Mine doesn't numb the area and I still didn't feel any pain.

dont worry, it really wasnt that bad. it only took a few seconds. it was over before i knew it. and trust me im every bit as afraid of needles as you are. it will be over before you know it

I have had a fill with and without the lidacaine. Not really a big deal either way. A proper fill is totally worth the small amount of discomfort that you feel during the fill. It just feels wierd, it doesn't really hurt.

My dr. didn't not numb the area either....and yes I too was very scared but it was nothing. Felt a tiny prick and that was it.

I hate it when the dr says is all you will feel is a pinch, then it usually hurts like hall. If it was them i'm sure they would deaden it a little.:thumbup:

hi x i don't like needles but i have had a few fills and foundthat only one of them was anything like what u could call slightly painfull ! And i'm not talking "toe curling pain" just "ooh that hurts a bit " All i can tell u is don't look at the needle as it DOES look quite long and scary but it has to be long to get through our fat layer to the port site that's sewn to the muscle x hope this is some help to u xclaire