Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded April 1st; Details To Be Prepared For So Far

Hi April Band buddies

I am happy to report my experience having been banded yesterday. The punchline? It isn't so bad.

I was admitted overnight in part because I also had a hernia repair done at the same time. So, remember, my experience is based on two procedures done simultaneously.

I was walking around 1 hour post op. I did more walking last night and even more today. I wasn't discharged until 4pm. Walking felt good. I haven't passed gas yet or had a BM but taking colase liquid will help to get things moving by tomorrow. Walking gave me the sensation of things moving around.

Admittedly, I've had many surgeries (mostly orthopedic which is so very different), this was my first laproscopic stomach procedure. The pain I felt yesterday and a bit more today can be best described as doing about 1 million sit ups! Of course the laproscopic sites are tender; mostly to the touch; that is to be expected. None are worse than others. Naturally, the port incision is the largest, but at this point, it doesn't feel any more tender than the others. I imagine it will take the longest to heal. When getting in and out of bed, rather than pulling up from my stomach muscles, I roll to one side and push up to stand. Once standing, the pain subsides. Once seated, the pain subsides.

My experience with gas pains is minimal, having a small amount of radiating shoulder pain when taking a deep breath.

Today's objective prior to being discharged was to drink 1 ounce of Water over a 5 minute period. A 4 ounce bowl of SF Jello should take us 20 minutes to eat. This is going to be almost entertaining. My body reminded me not to lie down for nearly 30 minutes after eating so the food has time to process prior to slipping through the band.

I am not delusional thinking I've got this all figured out, believe me. It will take us awhile to figure it all out and to find our "sweet spot" but i can tell you in less than 36 hours post op, "I Think I Get It". I can feel a bit of what people talk about with testing just how much I can swallow prior to feeling my stomach. It's an awareness that I've never had before. No choking or gagging. Of course, these are all preliminary experiences based on liquids alone.

I was able to take pills one at a time with ease. My band was not filled. My first post op appt is in 1 week.

I went into this scared out of my mind until I told 1 person, a girlfriend who's first response was "Oh Man I Am So Jealous! I'd Do It In A Second!"

Since then and especially now, there's an odd sense of relief. I am so confident I have done the right thing.

For me, there are many psychological issues connected to this process. I walked out of that hospital today with the most content inner feeling of accomplishment, excitement and a sense of control that I've never felt before. There is no way this process, this procedure, this band is going to fail. There is No Way I am Going To Fail.

Two small Oxycodone pills (without Tylenol) take the edge off the achiness and makes me sleepy. I was instructed not to lay flat last night but rather with my head elevated and with a post-op headache. I did not sleep well. Tonight I am free to lay flat and expect a restful night of sleep with an obscenely long and guilt free day of sleeping in tomorrow.

I will post as often as everyone is interested in reading. I wish all pre-op patients a smooth process on their day and forever.

knewme

Edited by knewme

It sounds like we are all having a good experience so far with our bandings. A speedy recovery to you. I am looking forward to my first shower today and regular liquids.< /p>

oh thank you so much for posting about this! I am so thankful for the bunnies who are paving the way. Each successful post makes me feel more comfortable and resolute in my decision to do this.

Yay congrats! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

I've been bad at responding to those that boldly go before us sorry to everyone for that my thought are with you even if not expressed. You mention 5 minutes for 1 oz of Water and 20 for the Jello, was this a hospital/Dr requirement or just your goal? Sounds like a hospital thing one time mine was to potty before they would remove my IV. Gald everyone is getting through this well.

Knewme,

Congrats and waht an inspirational post about the inner control you are already feeling. Keep posting your progress, as it really helps us who are still waiting. Thanks for making my day!!:scared2:

Congrats! What a great post! Thanks to you and our other banned bunnies for sharing your stories.

I am being banded tomorrow and have a hiatal hernia too. This was what I needed to hear and know what some of the feelings I may have. Thank you and keep up the good work !

Day 7 post op and doing great. shoulder pain still a pain but other than that, no complaints. incision sites tender as to be expected but healing nicely. not much stomach pain even when i try to sit up or lay down.

starting to feel true hunger now that swelling is starting to go down inside. this will be the hardest week. soft foods in 7 days. passover starts tonight. i'm not going to Sedar with my family tonight or tomorrow night. kinda lonely this year but for a good cause.

must stay focused. must remember why we sacrifice. we've had our splurge (for about 40 years) and now it is our time to turn our lives around. 50 and fabulous here i come (eventually).

walking as much as i can (weather turned cold yesterday). truly hungry but i don't care. i'm not blowing this for anything...