Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am currently researching the lapband and realize band. I have seriously been considering this for about a year. One of my concerns is Soda. I am a huge soda drinker. I am trying to start now by quiting soda. I know I can do it, but I know it will be hard for me. I need some tips from those who have had the same problem to over come.

kris82, sadly I haven't overcome my soda pop addiction.

My primary care doctor has said that the band is for reduction in food- period. And by this patients lose weight.

However, that said, it's also a great time for a patient to overcome bad habits, poor choices, change a lifestyle.

But there are a few of us that have more obstacles than others and comparatively let's say 2 patients all else being equal they overcome 7 key points/functions during their weightloss. But what if one of the patients had 4 more that the other patient doesn't have.......

that's me. My doc said after all I've been thru and soda pop (and one other thing) is my only downfall- I should be happy.

But I'm still working on it!

The members on here have been wonderful with tips and tricks to cut out the soda- just hasn't worked for me.

Hi Kris - I'm with you. Before I had my band on 9/30/08 I was probably just a big a soda drinker as anyone on here. I started my morning with one at 5am and drank it all through the day up until I crawled into bed at night. Now I hardly drink it at all and don't really miss it. I miss the fizzy bite in my mouth but not really the taste. There are so many other things to drink, ie: crystal light, tea, Water, etc. I admit I ocassionally have a soda, but now it's mainly when I'm out or I'll take a sip of my DH's drink. Don't let your soda addiction keep you from making a good decision for your life. You can overcome it!!

I could start this comment like someone at an AA meeting .... "Hi, my name is Cathy and I'm a Diet Coke addict." I drank at least 6 a day. When I committed to this, I went home and I looked at my "stash"....nearly a case. And I said "that's it". When it was gone, I didn't buy any more. I was told that regular consumption of carbonated drinks (includes beer, too), I would stretch my pouch out and that could potentially require a second surgery to reposition the band. I DON'T want that so I stopped. Funny thing was, I was busy with the pre-op diet and trying to be good and I didn't miss it. The day before surgery I opened a Diet Coke at work, took two swallows and found that it didn't taste nearly as good as it used to. You CAN do it.

Coke Zero was my addiction... and I also miss the fizz part, but I gave up soda for lent this year just to see how it would go. I cheated and had one a week ago, and it tasted terrible! I poured it out and had tea instead. I never thought I'd be THAT person, that "doesn't like the taste of sodas" but hmm... I guess that's what's happening here.

I thought that the soda part would be the hardest, but if your a self-pay the thought of paying for another surgery will help you kick the habit. I admit i have like 3 sodas since I was banded in December but I try to let them go flat and I've had a few sips here and there. Beer was a pretty big thing to but I've had exactly two beers. I don't think the occassional carbonated beverage would do significant damage but try and stay away from them.

If your unable to make the commitment to stop cold turkey, then drink less per day, make yourself a timeline, and by the end of say 2 weeks, or 1 month be OFF sodas completly, find something else to drink instead, and NOT a carbonated beverage. If you can do this before you get banded it will be easier.

I was a soda drinker, but the thought of being healthy and thinner made me think twice about continuing to drink sodas after my band.

I'll be honest for the first 9 months I didn't touch a drop, then we went to Cancun on vacation and I drank a few sips here and there, and I really didn't care for the taste anymore. I drink ice tea or crystal light, or good ol H2O with lemon.

Soda is just empty calories that my body doesn't need.

Good luck on your journey.

If your unable to make the commitment to stop cold turkey, then drink less per day, make yourself a timeline, and by the end of say 2 weeks, or 1 month be OFF sodas completly, find something else to drink instead, and NOT a carbonated beverage. If you can do this before you get banded it will be easier.

I was a soda drinker, but the thought of being healthy and thinner made me think twice about continuing to drink sodas after my band.

I'll be honest for the first 9 months I didn't touch a drop, then we went to Cancun on vacation and I drank a few sips here and there, and I really didn't care for the taste anymore. I drink ice tea or crystal light, or good ol H2O with lemon.

Soda is just empty calories that my body doesn't need.

Good luck on your journey.

When I met with the dietician and she told me that I would have to give up soda, I was horrified. I almost changed my mind about the band. I love soda - and my addiction is to Diet Mt. Dew. I started my day with it, and usually drank anywhere from 24 to 60 ounces a day. I always had one with me, no matter where I was.

But, my desire to be healthy and thin again has won! I haven't even got my surgery date yet, (Should still be in April) but I did just what she said - I started cutting down a little bit at a time and tomorrow it will be a week since I've had any. I've thought about it a few times, but it really hasn't appealed to me. This is how I know I can make any other changes necessary to be healthy.

You can do it too...start by cutting down and you might be surprised. Good Luck!!

Hi Kris! I too thought about the band for a year and I too was afraid of what I would have to give up. I too loved soda and drank Diet Dr. Pepper like crazy. However, I can now proudly say that I have gone over a year without a single drop of soda. I gave it up three weeks before my surgery date which was April 16, 2008. It was hard the first few days, but I survived. Honestly, I don't miss them at all. Every now and then I'll think how good it would be to have a Dr. Pepper, but then I get over it right away. Honestly, the most annoying thing is when you go somewhere that only serves carbonated beverages.

I'm here to say it can be done. It's not easy at first, but it does get easier as time goes on. My health and happiness were worth more than a soda. Getting the band was the best thing I have ever done. I only wish I had done it sooner! Good luck!

A while ago we went to a no-soda household. My DH already gave it up because it gave him stomach issues. I would still drink it all the time then around when I got pregnant I gave it up for crystal light. So stopped buying it for the house, but if we went out to a restaurant I'd have it there. Now I'm going to give it up completely.

I can honestly tell you that once you are used to drinking more Water, soda is not hydrating at all. I'm incredibly thirsty after drinking soda..it's so dehydrating.

Anyway, this worked for me....for every can or glass of soda you drink drink the eqivalent of Water aiming to replace some of the soda drinkage with water until you are drinking mostly water. I guess if you are the type to go cold turkey then that might work too but beware of headaches. GL

I was also addicted to sunkist diet orange soda:tongue_smilie:. I had my last one the night before surgery and really don't miss it. I also suffered from headaches daily and found once I gave up the soda the headaches were gone!!! I enjoy Water and ice tea now.

I too 'had' a soda addiction. Diet PEPSI is my drink of choice. I was such an addict, that if I traveled anywhere, especially the south, I made sure to have my own DP, since coke was more availalbe.

But last week, when I committed to this change, I realized that if I am going to do this, I'm gonna do it ALL THE WAY. Once the band is on, burping/hiccuping can actually 'possibly' move your band. And once your stomach is reduced, the amount of space is too limited for the 'fizz' to die down. Today is day 6 and I'm doing fine. Now day 1-3, those were a bit hard. I had such a 'ritual'. But now I bust open a bottle Water and add my crstal light. You can do it. Especially if I can.

GOOD LUCK!!!