Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded this morning - in hospital now!

Hey guys well with much trepidation i checked in at 7am this morning and i have got a band now. So exhausted have slept all day.

I hope that you get some good rest!!! When you are up to it please share your experience in regards to the trepidation and how you overcame it and didn't run out the door. I am picturing myself entering the hospital and dashing back out the door out of fear.

YAY! Congratulations! What an exciting day for you. My big day is on Monday, it'll be fun to keep up with eachother since we're only a few days apart.

Hope you get lots of rest and can give us your surgery story soon!

WOW lingling! I am so impressed that you are on your computer!!! Can't wait to hear about it and glad that everything went well! Congrats!

I wish you a speedy recovery! Keep us posted on your progress!! :wink:

Hey Guys

Am home and in bed now. Yay it's good to be home. Although the hospital I stayed in was so tiny and cute - it had about five beds and the OR was tiny too. Really nice nurses more like a hotel hospital.

I turned up at 7am for an 8am surgery, they took me through and told me to get changed into my very sexy gown, hat and booties! I then went and laid down on the bed in the recovery/pre-op room and they put these funny leg warmer things on me that inflated and deflated all the time (had to wear these for 24hrs) to stop blood clots. They covered me in this big plastic blanket which had a hole to pump in hot air, apparently higher body temps mean better recovery. Then the anesthetist came in - he was SO Lovely. I burst into tears and said "please don't let me die!" and he rubbed my arm and said I'd be fine and talked to me for about 10-15 mins and put my IV lure in my wrist (I love exciting stuff like that!) and then gave me SO MUCH PREMED sedation I was off my face - AWESOME. Everyone was having a laugh. They wheeled me through and then I had to shuffle onto the OR table and I remember saying "wow, thats a small table" - like you'd think they'd make it nice and wide but it wasn't. Anyway, the Anesthetist was going to put something in my IV lure and all I said was "Dont let me die" next thing I know I am in recovery and hearing beeps etc and then someone was testing the defibrilator and I freaked out and thought it was for me and I said "dont let me die, is that for me?" and they laughed and said no, and I was like "IM ALIVE!!!" I was so excited.

Then they put me in my room and I slept for ages like three hours - tried to stay awake every time I woke up but couldnt - would snooze back to sleep - finally woke up about 4pm and logged on via my phone to tell you guys I was alive! Then back to sleep, and some visitors came intermittently from 5-8pm which was nice but hard to be bothered talking. The gas pains from the gas they pump you up withSUCK like you wouldn't believe. feels like someone has a belt around me under my boobs and is making it really tight. But I put a heat(wheat) pad on it which helps, but the pain refers up to shoulders as well, so just have to alternate or get three heat packs (Which I have got today!) to soothe the pain and walk around lots - which I didnt feel like doing as I was so sleepy. I took a sleeping pill at 10pm and was out to the count. They said I could sleep on my side - which was good - but it did put different pressure on the gas in my tummy so I got pains in different areas on my chest and shoulders. The nurse kept getting sick of me asking if it was okay that this bit hurt or that bit hurt etc. she said "you've just had an operation!" haha.

So I am at home in bed today - they have given me some hard core pain killers, normal pain killers and some antiinflamatories. I don't think I need them too much though - its just nicer to have them.

Am a little scared about what this journey (esp the next few weeks/month) holds for me. I am very scared of hurting the band - I cannot feel it speciifically and I cannot feel any restriction - but I am only on fluids so I guess I wouldn't. He said this morning that he put a little bit of Fluid in it, and apparently I have a Johnson and Johnson band - which must be the Realize band - I don't really mind though.

How is everyone else going - either in recovery or with pre-op jitters? x

Congrats! Sounds like you got through well, have lots of cool stories adn memories. (except the sucky gas pains)

I'm sure you will do wonderful. Keep to your suggested foods and timetables. Call your doc and nurses if adn when you got questions. Visit here often cause we have "been there and are doin that" :smile2:

Welcome to the Loser's Bench!!!

Glad you are doing ok with it all. I have slept off and on today but haven't taken my pain meds since this morning. I haven't felt hungry but have had one s/f Jello and 2 cups of Soup strained for the broth only.

Johnson and Johnson does make the realize band and I got that too but without fill. My dr. told my office mate he would give us a bit of fill but he didn't. I think because the rep from the realize company was there and he probably suggested not doing it. Oh well. He will put in 2cc the first fill within the month sometime.

Look forward to hearing your progress.

yay congrats ling ling...i got banded yesterday so i'm feeling the same as you!! The gas in my chest hurts some but I'm not passing any gas lol.

I had those funny leg things too...but they felt kinda good lol like a massage.

Yay we can help eachother through the different stages of recovery :smile2:

oh...i sleep kinda sitting up with pillows behind me...it helps with the pain.

YAY! Lingling! You DID it! Sounds like you are doing well and came through with flying colors! I knew you would! Sorry to hear about the gas pains, but I think they are pretty typical. Please keep letting us know how you are. I loved reading about your hospital experience and knowing what it was like for you. Thanks and get some rest, you deserve it.

Sissy, also happy to hear from you. I am really impressed that you aren't using much pain med and that you are not really hungry. What does it feel like when you drink something?? Does it hurt or just feel "different"? Does it feel different when the Jello goes down compared to the liquid? Just curious. Take it easy and keep in touch.

So i was banded yesterday April 1st...My hospital experience i must say was amazing, the nurses were just wonderful! I came from the hospital last night, and I was in pain, and didnt really sleep. I wasnt comfortable in any position. So i ended up sleeping on the recliner lol...i was takin the pain meds every 4hrs, and that would allow me to sleep for about 3hrs, but then i was up and had to take another dose to sleep more. Day 2, i was in pain all day, i tried walking around and even went outside and walked but the gas pain is still there. SO, basically ive been layin around all day with some walking, now I feel a lil nauseous...i called the doc, and he just called me something in, and i hope it works! I just want this recovery process to be over lol...Im being impatient!

YAY! Congratulations! What an exciting day for you. My big day is on Monday, it'll be fun to keep up with eachother since we're only a few days apart.

Hope you get lots of rest and can give us your surgery story soon!

Hi Christine,

My surgery date is the day after yours, hope all goes well for you. Let me know how you make out.

Raenee