Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We've had them for Aug, Sept and Oct

Now it's time for the people that are being banded in NOVEMBER to stand up and give their shout out!!! This thread is just for you!!! YIPEEE.........IT"S OUR TURN!!!!

I will be banded on November 25th! I can't believe that I can actually say that. Time is going by and I'm sure it will be here before I even know it!

:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

My surgery is scheduled November 5th (that's 11 days, 1 hour, and 3 minutes...I'm not excited at all!)

Height 5'4 1/2

Weight 245

Dr. Thomas Chua - Aurora Bariatric - Milwaukee, WI

Quick synopsis of my journey so far:

September 3 - attended information session

September 17 - nutrition and psych evals - passed with flying colors - was told by the nutritionist I eat really well - just too much - told by the psychologist that I'm one of the most informed and knowledgable patients she has yet to meet...perhaps that is because I have been eating, drinking, and sleeping Lap-Band and I've rec'd a ton of information from all of you knowledgable people!

October 3 - surgical consult with Dr. Chua - he thinks I'm good to go and I got to hold a Lap-Band in my hand...I said, "hello little friend"

October 4 - insurance submitted - approved per the doctors office but they had to check benefits - called me back and said I could have the RNY but the band was not covered - two minutes later appeal with Inamed signed...

October 5 - spoke to benefit manager at insurance company and she checked into it further - it is covered! Surgery scheduled for November 5th

October 20 - pre-op tests - I LOVE THE TASTE OF BARIUM! NOT! Blood went well - all five tubes (good veins) EKG and XRAY not a problem - radiologist said I didn't look big enough for surgery (I was also laying on my stomach...silly man)

October 28 - History & Physical - go over preop tests

November 5 - I'M REBORN!

Jennye,

I'm curious why you had to drink the barium. My doctor did not request this and I'm wondering if this is something that SHOULD be done??? My pre-ops were almost too easy (not complaining) but again, every doctor is different.

Lulu,

You summed it up...every doctor is different. I was thinking that it was because in the past (years ago) I had reflux problems, then again I met a gal from Green Bay who is getting surgery the day before me and she had the same pre-ops...

In my opinion, the barium swallow allows them to make certain the esophageal and stomach anatomy is correct and confirms that they will not have a problem placing the band...as well as checking for reflux and such...again...just my opinion. Perhaps one of the RN's (Sandy, Jessie A, Jaenene) could answer it better.

I would ask your doctor why they didn't perform the BS...did you have an upper gi scope instead?

No, I didn't have any of those tests. I don't have a problem with reflux, so maybe that's the key!

I was also supposed to have an EKG yesterday when I had the chest X-ray and blood work, but when I told them I had the Persantine stress test they crossed the EKG off. I hesitate to say it, but it was almost too easy. ?????

I think the US doctors are more likely to require one. I just don't know if I want to credit them for being so cautious or blame them for spending our money to cover their butts. :cool: I've dealt with three very experienced band doctors outside the US and none of them require pre-op GI tests. My surgeon had placed over 1400 bands when he did mine, and we got along just fine without that testing.

Sue

Originally posted by GeezerSue

I just don't know if I want to credit them for being so cautious or blame them for spending our money to cover their butts.

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is to that one either but I can tell you that whatever tests they decide to give me I will more than welcome. I would rather have them go overboard with the testing then to have them doing the surgery and come across an "UH OH!!!!!" That's just my opinion (which would probably be different if I were a SELF PAY :cool: )

My surgery is scheduled for Nov 8th with Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey. I leave tomorrow!!!! I am so excited and nervous all at once...

~Lea

253/...../153 goal

My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 17th, and I couldn't be more excited! Like Jennye said about herself, I have been eating, drinking, and sleeping lap band for the last several months, and I feel like I am well-educated about what I'm getting myself into. Not that I don't expect there to be some surprises along the way, but for the most part, I feel well-prepared.

I'm going in on Nov. 10th for all of my pre-op bloodwork and that kind of thing. I'm also having my consult with the surgeon. (It's a long story, but after I got all of my pre-op stuff done - like the psych eval, etc. - I ended up switching surgeons.)

I also belong to several women/mothers' groups at my church, so I've got about a billion and one people praying for me and for my surgeon. That certainly doesn't hurt!