Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded on the 26th, wanna cry

So you wanna cry - I ACTUALLY did. I remember sitting on the foot of my Mother's Bed (My Mother who was very critical and a little judgemental of my decision to have the surgery) about 4 days after the surgery crying my eyes out to Mommy saying what did I do? I asked for this? LONGED for this? Paid for THIS? I was not necessarily in PAIN but I was all kinds of uncomfortable - painful discomfort! About a day later I realized that my biggest problem was the gas - I HAD never had painful gas in my life. It wasn't till I burped a big burp that gave me some relief that I though - could this be gas? How silly! Gas X took care of it. I took it easy for a good week after surgery. I'm now 6 weeks post op and I literally feel fabulous! 20 lbs down - tons of energy and just plain old excited about the possibilities. I look back on that night on the foot of my mom's bed and chuckle to myself. I hope soon you'll get to chuckle as well!

Edited by PrincesaJenE

I do remember the gas being terrible the first time around and my doctor assuring me it was due to the surgery. I do not have any gas now and I am 2 weeks post op.

I am so glad we have all these other people on here who have been through the same thing so that we know that we are not crazy. Every little thing I am feeling that is somewhat different I can do a search on here and find someone feeling the same way. It is awesome:thumbup:

I was also banded on the 26th. I spent the night and was discharged Friday. I thought this might not be as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, Sunday night things started going south for me. I can't keep anything down and have suffered from miserable nausea and gas. I have taken everything that everyone says to take with no relief. I guess it will just take time but I also sat up last night thinking what have I done-I will never be able to eat agin. Hoping things get better from this point forward.

Hi There, I was also banded on March 26th. I to have the gas from hell, but I have been assured that it will cease after a week! My doc gave me a pill for the nausea and vomiting and so far I have only taken one.

Remember it is only day 5 PO, we can do this! Stay in touch! Thetig

You aren't alone. I was banded on 13th and I have had gas and an intestinal infection which is probably worse than anyone can imagine. (I have very sensitive guts evidently from the liquid diet) Anyways I went back to the Dr. for my post op appt and told him to schedule me for removal surgery I was so miserable. He prescribed some antibiotics and I think they are starting to work. If you end up with a lot of mucus and it feels like ants walking through your stomach, you might consider finding out if you have sensitive guts too.

Miniband-

I am so sorry you are going through this:sad: Hopefully the antibiotics will work and you will be feeling better in no time.

oh you poor thing! i read your post and just wanted to hug u. everyones experience is different... and if u want to cry allow your self a good cry. it might make u feel better.i was banded on the 20th, and although i haven't had the complications u have had i have found myself very weepy. its a shock to ur system, and ur having to make soooooo many changes all at once. I know food have been my comfort over the years, so being in such a stressful place and not being able to eat it all away has been so difficult for me. i still feel sore and very weak (not to mention that i caught my kids cold). so I take it slow, and honestly I have been babying myself, and its ok. I deserve it and so do u. u do whatever it is that u need to do to get through this.

Id be happy to be a shoulder to lean on if u need it.

amy

From what I know, the gas is normal and can be painful. Walking worked for me and soon it shouldn't be a problem. I used to chew gum until I found out that chewing gum can cause the problem to get worse! I'm 3 1/2 months post op and I've lost 70 lbs. Even though I've had a few problems, I'd do it again in a heart beat. I might not have said that in the first couple of weeks! But that's the way I feel today.

Hi everyone, my first post. i was banded on the 26th, was told it was "textbook" discharged on the 27th, came home, started running temp of 101. Back to hospital overnite, had antibiotics. home today, but, still do not feel good. I have so much gas!!! i am walking around, sipping fluids slowly, but still have awful painful gas. Also, loose stools, probably from the meds. I really want to cry and cry. I am so scared I did the wrong thing!!! Did anyone else feel this way at first????

I was banded on March 27th. The morphine drip was wonderful and I felt great. Then the next morning, the morphine was taken away and I was allowed to have a liquid that has Oxycodone and Tylenol in it. When I needed it four hours later, the nurse discovered she did not have any in stock on that unit and I had to wait until the Pharmacy sent up the medications two hours later. The nurses gave me Reglan IV to counter any nausea and also an IV of some kind of antibiotic. I was told to sit in a chair and that I could go home once I urinated a total of 250 cc. I was instructed to sit in a chair which I did..........for nine hours. I was in pain and so tired of sitting.I walked around the unit five different times but it didn't give me any relief from the gas pain which was high up in the back of my shoulder and into my neck.

Finally, at 9 at night, I was discharged. I was shaking from exhaustion by that time. My first night was spend in a recliner. It was ok except for being hard to repositon myself. My surgeon requires full liquids for two days, then full liquids for the rest of the two weeks. What is surrprising me is that I am starving. I assumed that right after surgery, I would not feel hungry. Any smells of food seem greatly exaggerated and I hate seeing food commercials. I went to the dentist yesterday and again today. I feel so much better than I did yesterday. My stomach is still bloated and the gas sounds make me feel like I have aliens fighting in my stomach. I drink and then have the runs. I have no nausea.

Like you though........I have a tinge of doubt if I did the right thing. I did not expect to have to work so hard resisting food so soon after surgery. I must not have thought that part out.

I think you are tired and just having the let down after surgery.We did a brave thing for ourselves and we have to take credit for choosing to tackle our health issues. Good luck to you.

I do know that I did the right thing because I have been through this before but let me tell you I AM STARVING:eek: I remember from last time that I was very hungry until I started eating real food again and got my first fill. I dont know where I heard this but I do remember someone labeling this time before your first fill where you have no restriction as BANDSTER HELL and that is exactly what it feels like. I just keep telling myself that I can make it till my first fill without gaining and hopefully still keep loosing:thumbup:

My band was repositioned on the 25th March and this time has so not been a walk in the park but its surgery where they blow air into your cavity to make it easier to get to your stomach, they move your liver to get to it then they play silly buggers with your belly. Im in ALOT of pain with gas and soooooooooo not a lady when I release it in Australia we have degas tablets, they are the best invention eva!!!!!

By the afternoon im sore and tired and a lil cranky but in 12 months with my band i had lost 95 pounds so its more than worth the pain now!!!!

You definately will feel hungry because you have no fill and the day that sweet spot is found is amazing. It only took me 3 fills to get there. I'm not too hungry but when I do get those low growling damn I want real food pains I have a drink of Water, milk or cordial. The thing is very soon you won't feel that hunger ever again. I got to the point that I was eating for fuel not just coz of emotions, boredom or the taste (although u appreciate taste in the small portions you have)

I wish you all the best of luck and a pain free and healthy weight loss

xoxox

Hi. We are neighbors here in Massachusetts. Did you have your surgery at Tobey Hospital? I am currently going through all of the pre-op stuff there and hope to be banded in July. Sorry to hear about all of the issues that have come up for you. Hope every day gets a little better and the band is all that you hoped it would be. Keep in touch and feel better soon.

I am feeling so much better. I did not take any pain medication yet today and it is already after noon. The instructions from the hospital said to hold the diuretic I take daily. It did not say how long to hold it though. Last night I noticed that my ankles were swollen, so I took the diuretic. This morning, I see that I got rid of six pounds of Fluid from my tissues. That couldn't have been good for me. I see the surgeon on Tuesday and will double check that I should be taking the diuretic although I am positive I should have restarted it.

OKay so I was banded in Mexico March 25th 2009.

I have been doing well, for some reason I was an emotional wreckage yesterday, but today I feel great. 7 lbs down.

I think we all have to keep positive thoughts in our minds, we went through hell to get the surgery and the first few weeks are going to be hard, but for me it is hard being over weight and un-healthy...I have high blood pressure, I was taking pain killers alot just well..I dont know for what, my back would always hurt..I am sure I would have ended up with diabetes ....My mom has had 2 open heart surgeries ..she's 53..

I think what made me do it the most is this...

I want to watch my son grow up, graduate, get married and I want to be around for my grand kids...

I will take whatever pain I went through I would do it all over again for my little 4 year old Payten Lee

Stephanie***--

I never did have gas pains...didn't your doctor give you a shot for this before your surgery? My doctor did. I left the hospital 5 hours after my surgery and have not had one complication. I did the deep breathing techniques everyday for the first week and wore the support hose also. I was constantly walking from room to room, as my doctor told me to do. For the first week I did suffer with diarrhea but it went away during the second week. I do not regret for one second having the surgery. Just think ahead to this time next year how you are going to look and feel! Don't give up!!