Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded 11/18 (YAY!!!)

Guest weezie724

Guest weezie724

Hi everyone, my name is Louise (my friends call me weezie) and I am being banded 11/18 by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico. I am 5' 5 1/2" (have to add that 1/2") and weight 240 putting my BMI right at 40. My mom is coming with me and my husband is staying home to care for our 3 sons. I am excited but mostly anxious and starting to get a little scared. I am a recovery room nurse so in my head I know I will be just fine, but I keep seeing myself saying good-bye to my husband and kids at the airport and I start to cry. I can't think past the surgery to losing weight right now but I know after the surgery I will be so excited. Is anyone else going to be in Monterrey at the same time? It'd be nice to know someone. Thanks everyone for listening, say a prayer for me!

Louise

You will love him. I think everybody does. I've been there twice; once for surgery and one for a fill.

Questions? Ask away!

Sue

Hi Weezie!

You are going to love the band. At least I do so far.

I do have a question, and this is for anyone who wants to answer. Why do some people go to Mexico for this surgery? I have seen other's on here say they are have been or are going there, and I was curious. Thanks.

And good luck!

Hi Weezie

I wanted to say good luck on your surgery and safe trip and that its good to know that I will Not be the only one geting banded on Nov.18. So hopfully everything go along fine for the both of us on this date, and we will meet back on the board soon after.

Good Luck Angelina:)

Guest weezie724

I am going to Mexico for two reasons. The first is that my insurance will not pay for the surgery and I was looking at about $16000 to have it done here in Omaha, versus $10000 in Mexico. The second reason is that the most experienced LapBand surgeon here has only done 50 bands but Dr. Rumbaut has done over 2000 and is one of the best in the world. It was still a difficult decision because I will be so far away from my husband and kids, but I know it will be worth it.

Angelina, I will think of you on the 18th and I will include you in my pre-operative prayer! Where are you being banded? Best of luck.

Louise

IAMOMX6--Can't speak for others, but here's why I went to Mexico:

1) Dr. Rumbaut had (at that time) placed about thirty to fifty times as many bands as the most experienced surgeons in Los Angeles-Orange Counties.

2) Dr. Rumbaut was the proctor (teacher) for many US surgeons, who were still new at the band.

3) Dr. Rumbaut was part of the pre-FDA trials. He--and others--did the work to prove to the FDA that the band was worthwhile. It occurred to me that Inamed wasn't going to put a multi-million dollar enterprise in the hands of anyone but the best surgeons they could find.

4) Dr. Rumbaut's price was (at that time) about one-third the price of the local doctors.

5) Dr. Rumbaut uses fairly large, well-staffed hospital. The rooms are private and each has its own bathroom. Each nurse on the surgical wing had four or five patients. (Where my mom had just been, in California, it was 15, and other nurses have reported having as many as 30!) Nurses are the front-line in keeping little problems from becoming big problems. When they are overworked, more patients die. (There was a recently published article on that, as if we couldn't figure it out ourselves.)

Those are most of the reasons I went to Mexico.

Sue

I went to Mexico because my insurance only covered the RNY. I looked briefly for docs here that would do it, but was having problems getting any names to come up.

I am in San Diego, and Tijuana is only a jump away. Dr. Lopez was recommended to me, I called, they set up the appointment, and wham bam I was banded!

I paid $10,000.

HI weezie

I am having my surgery done by Dr. Ferzli at Victory memorial in Brookyn, NY

Again Good Luck and I will have mind that day to. Thank You Angelina

HI weezie

I am having my surgery done by Dr. Ferzli at Victory memorial in Brookyn, NY

Again Good Luck and Thank You Angelina

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about Mexico.

It's very interesting that we are supposed to have the best health care in the world, but people still have to go to another country to get what they need.

Good luck to all of you who are getting ready for your surgery!