Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 3/23 and not feeling so good

My surgery was this past Monday and it seems like the past few days I've felt pretty good all day long but in the evening I start to not feel so well. Did anyone else experience this? Also, could I be drinking too much in one sitting? I have been drinking an 8 oz glass of skim milk with Protein Powder and can almost finish it. I was wondering if that might be too much.

It took me a couple of weeks to get my energy back after surgery. It has been my experience that after surgery you always THINK you feel ok then the slightest bit of over doing it just exhausts you. Are you getting enough Protein in?

I agree with Glorybee, it takes time to heal and feel better. It was about 2 weeks for me before I felt "almost" back to normal and 1 month before I was back to normal. I did over do it a couple of times and was very tired, very quickly in doing normal things. Give yourself time to heal - you will be happy you did in the end! Congratulations and good luck on your journey!!

If you are feeling a little nauseous then you might be drinking too much. The materials I was given said I would not be able to drink 8 oz at a time. Maybe try drinking 4 oz instead and wait a while to drink the rest...I think it is just a sip and wait, sip and wait kind of thing until we are further out....

Good Luck.:thumbup:

HI! I am new to this site and I too was banded on 3/23. 72 hours after surgery i stopped taking the pain meds and saw my doctor for my 1st post op visit. he gave me the ok to move on to stage 2 of eating. yay! I am feeling pretty good. I have been walking around the neighborhood (about 1 - 1.5 miles) every other day since day 3 and i notice that wipes me out. Last night we went to a local retail store and while walking around i was hit with a case of "tired" and was ready for bed. My doctor told me NO Protein Shakes, he does not want me to get used to drinking my Protein, he says we need to EAT it. If you are still not feeling well, i would suggest giving your doctor a call. He or She will now best. I have a Channel on You Tube: BandedWendy Feel free to check it out. I also look forward to sharing our "same day surgery" connection as we move forward through this new journey. all the best to you! Onward!

I had surgery on the 27th and don't feel well at all. One moment I seem to be okay the next I'm sweating and chills at the same time. I know in the long run it will be fine but it is not so easy today. Walks with Hope

Hi Kathy,

I had surgery the same day as you. I also feel fine during the day, and around 6-7pm I start to feel pretty bad!

I had to call my doc. a few days ago to get nausea meds because I kept dry heaving. Seems we're clear now (knock on wood), and today is the first day I have not taken pain or nausea medicine.

I took a walk last night around the block (about 1/2 a mile) and I felt horrible after. I definitely pushed too far there.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it's just a wait and see kind of thing. I do not go back to work until Thursday (easy desk job) but I am also a photographer and have a horse show to photograph on Sunday and I'm pretty worried about it! I know I can sit for a few hours of it but I'll be there about 9 hours total. I'm sure I'll be wiped the next day. I plan on resting a LOT from now until then.

Today is better than yesterday. Yesterday was better than the day before. Good luck and feel better!

Thank you all for the encouragement. I was beginning to think what the heck have I done to myself! I'm getting about 50 grams of Protein a day and my doc recommends 60-80 so maybe I need to kick it up. I am just so tired of those darn liquid shakes. I get nauseous just thinking about having another. Oh well, I guess I'm whining now!

I am just so tired of those darn liquid shakes. I get nauseous just thinking about having another.

Oh I feel you now... I'm so tired of them too. I actually put some beef/veggie Soup in the blender yesterday and it made all of the difference. I felt about 200% better. I'm so sick of sweet stuff right now. Can't wait until I can have something different! Hang in!

kathy V have you dressed up your Protein Drinks to make them a bit tastier? I know they are all sweet options but you can add stuff like sugar free instant pudding mixes to play with the flavor and different crystal light powders as well.

I was banded on the 24th and have a big selection in my phase 1 (days 2-14) that I can have but I am keeping it simple for this week, here is what I have been having.

B- 2 oz cream of wheat, with a touch of brown sugar

S-protein drink with vanilla Protein powder, banana pudding powder, blended with ice

L- 2 oz unsweetened applesauce

S- another Protein Drink, this one with protein powder(vanilla) and the orange crystal light

D- 2 oz cream of chicken Soup

I can have refried Beans, cottage cheese and a softly scrambled egg, but I am going to wait until I am a week in to introduce those.

Good luck and feel free to write anytime.

HI all!

I too was banded on 3/23! I have not experienced what you have Kathy, but one evening I did start feeling a little nauseaus and figured I was probably drinking my Water too fast. Since then I've been ok, but soooo tired of these thin liquids. Today is the last day tomorrow I can have the full liquids (creamed Soups and Cream of Wheat Cereal, etc.) I never thought I'd be excited about Cream of Wheat Cereal, but I can't wait! LOL I especially just want to be able to CHEW something. You know? I haven't needed any pain meds yet today so I'm glad of that. I hope to go back to work tomorrow at least for part of the day (I'm the director of a library, so I can do that and it's not a job where I'm on my feet a lot).

I have a question though. Have any of you weighed yourself yet? What have you lost? I have lost nothing yet. I'm very discouraged because I am following everything to the letter. But I know I still have gas build up and am retaining water because he took my off of my one water pill so I wouldn't get dehydrated, but I still think I should have lost. I'm only eating about 200 calories! Geez! But I'm trying to be patient and know I shouldn't have even gotten on the scale (I haven't today yet and decided I won't until my post op apt. on Tuesday) Anyone else have this happen? Now I'M whining!

I've lost a total of 17 pounds since I started the preop diet 10 days before my surgery. Only 4 pounds have been lost since my surgery. With my Protein Shakes I'm averaging about 400-500 calories a day.

I had a revision of my band on the 25th. I feel ikky, not too much pain but extremely uncomfy. I guess this was more involved than the first band but I am dying to feel better and get over this bump. It took me nearly 5 weeks the 1st time to feel normal, all our bodies are different and cope different, don't push yourself though. I did and ended up paying dearly and recovery and exercise took longer to start!!!

good luck your on your bike and ready to take of the training wheels

xoxoxox