Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideal calorie count to lose the most weight?

Hello-

I just started my mushie food stage yesterday. I know should be concentrating on "healing" and not weight loss, but I just can't help it!:thumbup:

Can you tell me at what calorie range you lost the most weight? I know this can vary from person to person and also on how active you are - I'm just trying to get an average.

I thought I would start tracking my calories to see if I can get that scale moving!!

Thanks,

Malissa

Hello-

I just started my mushie food stage yesterday. I know should be concentrating on "healing" and not weight loss, but I just can't help it!:thumbup:

Can you tell me at what calorie range you lost the most weight? I know this can vary from person to person and also on how active you are - I'm just trying to get an average.

I thought I would start tracking my calories to see if I can get that scale moving!!

Thanks,

Malissa

I kept it at 600 calories daily and 1-2 hours of hard cardio daily. It did the trick.

I kept it at 600 calories daily and 1-2 hours of hard cardio daily. It did the trick.

Whaa? :thumbup::eek: I am 15 days post surgery and am eating 900-1000 cal per day. For how long were you eating 600 cals per day?

Whaa? :thumbup::eek: I am 15 days post surgery and am eating 900-1000 cal per day. For how long were you eating 600 cals per day?

10 months to a normal BMI, I forget exactly how long until I got from a 24.9BMI to a 20BMI. A few months.

After I got to a normal BMI I kept it up for the most part but would give myself days where I increased calories.

Now I am sleeved (revision at goal) and today I have to eat 4 meals a day to maintain. I like to eat so it's not a problem. ;o)

My doc was not supportive of 600 calories a day, he wanted 800. *I* wanted the fat chapter closed quickly.

Wow - 600 is really low. However, looking at your stats....it seemed to work!! Congrats.

Thank you.

Since 2 weeks post op I haven't gone but once under 1000. I try to stay 1200-1500 per day. I eat just about anything I want, just 1/3 of my preband amount. I don't miss anything. My weight loss isn't amazingly fast, but I am happy with it and I am still losing, although slowly now. I know that I need to add exercise to speed things up, but I am not doing it yet. (surgery and car wreck slowed the exercising down):thumbup:

i think it really depends on you. there would be no way that i could do 600 calories and make it through a workout...i've tried...i get headaches, i feel like i'm going to pass out and i get very shakey...it's not pretty. i personally stay at around 1100...it seems to be enough calories to get me through my workouts but enough to help me lose.

I take in roughly 700-1000 cals daily. I rarely have Protein shakes but when I do my intake is on the lower end of that spectrum.

My biggest crutch has been pre-workout granola bars. Im starting to feel like they aren't cutting it in the energy+nutrition areas. I'm thinking about going back to morning shakes.< /p>

im only 9days post-op, but im trying to stay kind of high, because im nursing my son, and i dont want to put my supply at risk. i cant eat a whole lot, obviously, and i dont want to, but when i can im going to aim for 1200-1500 or so. right now im taking fenugreek to help keep my supply up (when i remember anyway, lol)

Wow! I'm looking at that totals and I'm way up from that (but with little restriction) in my calorie totals, but still losing (34 pounds in 12 weeks). I'm happy with my loss and I still get to eat!

I suggest going to Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and they have a way to put in your weight and activity level. Once you do that, it will calculate your maintenance calorie level, weight loss calorie level, and extreme weight loss.

I also suggest that you check with your program nutritionist for what he/she suggests and follow those guidelines. Post-op diet for me was a list of foods I could eat and how much of each.

Good Luck!!

Remember you need good nutrition. I find it hard to believe you can consume the right enough of Vitamins minerals and Proteins on 600 calories a day even with suppliments. Your body does not burn efficiently on that few calories. You go into starvation mode. If you don't get enough Protein your body will attack your muscle, which is dangerous. Your heart is a muscle. You really have to take in to consideration your own body's metabolism and how much you exercise. In the beginning, before I started at the gym I ate about 1000 calories a day. Since I now go to the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours I eat 1200 - 1300 and still lose about 2 lbs a week. Remember protein first.

Good luck.

Remember you need good nutrition. I find it hard to believe you can consume the right enough of Vitamins minerals and Proteins on 600 calories a day even with suppliments. Your body does not burn efficiently on that few calories. You go into starvation mode. If you don't get enough Protein your body will attack your muscle, which is dangerous. Your heart is a muscle. You really have to take in to consideration your own body's metabolism and how much you exercise. In the beginning, before I started at the gym I ate about 1000 calories a day. Since I now go to the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours I eat 1200 - 1300 and still lose about 2 lbs a week. Remember Protein first.

Good luck.

600 calories a day isn't for everyone but it can be done safely. I did it.

I always got at least 60gms of protein in daily which is what my doc suggested, I had plenty of energy, plenty of muscle, no problems.

Starvation mode... there isn't any solid science between that concept.

Thanks for all your responses. I just joined FitDay so I can track every calorie.

Just curious - do any of you track carbs and try to stay under 20?

I do not track my carbs. I do make sure I eat at LEAST 60 grams of Protein per day. Other than that, I don't restrict myself. My thinking is that I did this so it wouldn't feel like a diet, and it doesn't. I am almost never hungry and have lost 78 lbs. As I said in my previous post I eat 1200-1500 per day. I do know that you will probably lose your weight faster if you eat fewer carbs, I am just not willing to feel like I am on Atkins again.:)

Thanks for all your responses. I just joined FitDay so I can track every calorie.

Just curious - do any of you track carbs and try to stay under 20?

In the beginning I tracked carbs and did keep them under 20. Probably half way to goal I just kept WHITE carbs at 20 and unlimited veggie carbs. I still do that for the most part.

I counted Protein, calories and carbs, nothing else.