Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you miss most from pre band days?

Hey guys, OH NO, I do not regret getting it....I just long to have a drink with my meals. I never liked pop all that much so giving that one type of drink up doesn't bother me. I will take your advice vinesqueen and drink sooner. I do need to make a schedule of time to eat and time to drink. I just don't have it down yet. Just finishing up my week of mushies and getting ready to move to regular foods....

Okay, this is not really something I "miss" per se, but this is a rough adjustment for me.....eating is kind of a pain in the @ss these days. I was thinking today about how easy it used to be. Hungry...eat whatever...don't worry about chewing well. Problem was....not hungry...eat whatever too.

I really have to *think* about what I eat and HOW I eat. But this is a GOOD thing. My surgeon calls the band "surgical behavior modification" and boy he's right. Since I'm only two months out I know I'll fall into an easier routine with things but for now it's still a major adjustment...esp since I got my first fill.

Here's my #1 bandster lesson....if you think you've chewed enough....chew more. And then chew some more. And even if you took a small bite...don't swallow the whole mouthful first....swallow in stages (and if your esophagus sings at you, stop swallowing and keep chewing).

This slowing down my eating is an amazing process and I can finally see JUST how fast I was wolfing down food.

So what do I miss? Not much. Everything is a matter of perspective and adjustment.

Not a damn thing!

Well . . . . maybe yeast rolls swimming in real butter . . . naw. . . not even that!

I miss the money in my wallet now that I can shop till I drop and everything fits...why is it when your broke you can find every cute outfit in the world?

I don't miss a thing! I too was never a big soda pop drinker. I can hardly wait to see just how much weight I can lose with the band. I feel a new sense of freedom. freedom from my old self and my old ways. I find that not eating has left me more time to do the things i need to and the loss of weight gives me the energy to do them.

I do have cravings...big ones.... I do give into them. I eat a few chips and salsa. I eat a couple of bites of ice cream. I eat for my physical health now not my mental health. I used to feed my feelings, now I feed my hunger. Why do I give into a few bites of my favorites? I still have a fear of them overpowering me. I am scared of over eating. I am scared of losing control. I am scared of being a lap band failure. If i control when i give into my cravings i feel that i can also control how much i give in. i have eaten one chip dipped in guacamole and I have also eaten like 7 or 8. I feel that i ate more the longer that i tried to put the craving out my mind. i almost felt obsessed. I realized that one or two bites is so much better for me than the larger portions.

I'm still thinking about this - have lost about 12lb on my own now, but I'm struggling. I just want to go back to old comfortable habits.

I "think" I would miss drinking with meals terribly. Not in the normal course of events but when eating out, having a glass of wine with dinner. I'm also ready to change my habits forever but I think I'd miss the safety net of just really being able to let my hair down once in a blue moon.

So - can you honestly not tell anyone you've got a band and fake eating normally at social events? Dont people try to get you to eat more? Dont they notice?

So - can you honestly not tell anyone you've got a band and fake eating normally at social events? Dont people try to get you to eat more? Dont they notice?

Yes. Only four very close people to me know I have the band. You know what you do? You tell people "I'm lo carbing" and pretty much they will be supportive. Everyone thinks the 300 lb girl should lose weight so I seem to get much support just by saying that. People will leave you alone if they think you are dieting....everyone can get behind that. And one person has said "wow, you sure don't eat very much" and I say "oh, all this Protein makes me feel SO full!"

You have to be confident about yourself and the band. If you feel okay with it then people will leave you alone.

Only been banded for, let's see....8 days now!!! What do I miss? NOTHING....I am loving my band, love the band lifestyle and love the SV's and NSV's!!!

I love my band, I love weighing 48 less pounds than I did April 1st, I love having self control........but boy do I miss chinese food !!!! I can't even touch the stuff without pbing .

i dont miss anything but my gallbladder (haha sorry.. have to laugh dying here)

serious note.. i dont miss a thing because anything i *do* want, I have it. The reason I choose the band is because you just have to make modifications not take things out of your life. I drink 30 mins before dinner.. and i drink 30 mins after. if I feel i *must* drink during a meal, I take a couple drinks of Water.

Do I tell people? Of course i'm 100% truthful about my band and open with it to everyone. I would never want to give someone the impression I'm doing this myself, especially if my story could help just 1 other person. Sure ive lost friends over it.. social life kinda went to crap for the time being but i also managed to meet some awesome people like BeautifulTina and her crazy significant other.

at this point honestly i cant complain. i think of the 60 lbs i lost somewhere along the way and think to myself.. ya i really dont miss that.

Self-loathing?

Just kidding! I guess if I had to chose something it would be sandwiches from Subway and Blimpie!!! Not a big deal but I really did love my sandwiches.