Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 15 Minute Lunch Breaks - I can't do it!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Guest BikiniBeachy

I just got a new job and because I work 7.5 hours shifts so legally I don't get a long break. Regardless of the legality, I get 15 minutes, period.

This is 5 minutes to go to the restroom and get to my food...We also do not have a microwave so I've been bringing hard boiled eggs, yogurt and turkey and cheese.

I get stuck EVERYTIME. Trying to get a full meal in 10 minutes is impossible and I am getting very stressed out. I get stuck every single time. I chew as fast as I can but it's a race against the clock. I am supposed to be eating every 4-5 hours and I went 6.5 hours yesterday without a break and hadn't ate for an hour before work so that was nearly 8 hours since I ate Breakfast...

I know they don't know about our bands and I don't think I shoudl get 'special' treatment, but what do you workers do??? This is really throwing me! I was then so revenous when I got off work, I ate something and got stuck.

I am going to have the same problem, in fact not knowing about your post I had a similar question, but I have not had the band yet.

What do you do? If you are at a desk can you keep Snacks there?

If you had this job before the band would you still have had the surgery? I noticed you have lost 50lbs! Congrats!!!

I drink a shake. I can go up to 6 hours without food anyway. Eat before your shift, have a shake during, a meal later.

I would make 2 Protein shakes, put them in coffee mugs with lids, and keep them in an ice chest with the frozen blocks of ice that are in plastic. I would sip on that between my breaks if I could. If you work retail I am sure they let you drink, don't they?

Tell us how the work situation is and maybe we could come up with more ideas.

Are you retail at a counter?

Are you at a desk?

Do you have pockets in your clothes that you could keep nuts or something in? You could eat a hand full five minutes before your break so that your stoma gets use to the idea of food going down and it may help you from getting stuck.

Well good luck. Let us know how this works out.

I had a job with the 7.5 hour day and I was allowed to combine my two breaks to have one 1/2 hour break. Maybe if you explained this to them, they might agree.

what about a Protein shake at lunch time?
I drink a shake. I can go up to 6 hours without food anyway. Eat before your shift, have a shake during, a meal later.
I would make 2 Protein shakes

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. I have gotten in the habit of keeping two Slim-Fasts in the fridge in case work is especially hectic and I can't find time to eat (I work 4 12-hr night shifts / week)

Legally, you are entitled to two breaks. You may have to eat several small meals, instead of one large one. Egg at one break. Veggie at the next break. and some nuts or fruit at the regular 15 minute lunch hour. You may want to contact your local workforce office. they will be up on the disabilities act, and if your band and eating requirements qualify.

I always take Slimfast low carb and a cheese stick with me where-ever I go, just in case. That way if time doesn't permit real food I get some nutrition to hold me over. Otherwise I am going to get so hungry I will either binge or eat too fast and have issues.

Good luck, there are lots of good suggestions on this thread.

Mimi

I just got a new job and because I work 7.5 hours shifts so legally I don't get a long break. Regardless of the legality, I get 15 minutes, period.

This is 5 minutes to go to the restroom and get to my food...We also do not have a microwave so I've been bringing hard boiled eggs, yogurt and turkey and cheese.

Not sure what the labor laws are in your state, but that sounds pretty bad to me. Here in Maine, if you work 5 hrs you are required to take a 30 min break. I'd look into it if I were you. Your state department of labor should have that info availiable online. Good luck.

Edited by TSB
typo

Guest BikiniBeachy

Yes it is illegal, but I need to keep this job and do what the management tells me, as stupid as that sounds.

On my busy days I keep a baggie of almonds in my pocket. They're easy to eat, can eat them pretty quickly, and it doesn't take too many of them to keep you satisfied for quite a while. I had a handful for Breakfast and it didn't dawn on me until 2pm today that I'd had nothing to eat for 6 hrs.

I'm in the same boat as you, we get two 10 minute breaks and one 20 minute lunch by contract. I normally have a single serve cottage cheese at first break (11gr protein), then at lunch I have a pure Protein Bar (20gr protein) and afternoon break I might have a couple of turkey slices or a string cheese, if I'm even hungry at afternoon break, because those pure Protein Bars are very filling. I don't eat on the floor, because everything is contaminated and dirty and usually so are my hands.

I agree with all the suggestions. Eat before you go, if you can. Keep RTD Protein Shakes in the fridge if they have one, if not use an insulated lunch bag and ice packs. I myself don't do Protein shakes, I want to chew my calories, not drink them. You don't think you deserve special treatment, but you do. You have a medical condition that has to be accomadated, and losing your job over this is discrimination. Check your state to see what the rules are, and annonymously tip off the labor board, if you can't bring yourself to talk to your supervisor.