Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lap Band does not work

I had my lap band placed in 2006. I have had several fills, and the last time I had a fill, I had to go back to the MD to have 3/4cc removed because of severe acid reflux. In Sept 2008, I had 1/4cc put back in. I had acid reflux again, and the symptoms are just now subsiding. I have not been back to my MD for a follow up as I changed jobs in Sept, and my new insurance won't kick in until April. I can't afford the $125 office visit.

I am very, very disappointed with this lap band. I have lost about 30 lbs overall, and, I am not the only one who is not doing well with this band. I have 4 friends who have the same band from the same surgeon, and we are all at a standstill.

I have to see a dentist now because of the erosion from spitting up at night and regurgitation.

One thing I have noticed about bariatric surgery...some MDs address the mental issues and some don't. My fellow bandsters and I have all resorted to eating foods that will not hurt when they pass through the band, ie, sugary foods or fatty foods. Proteins and salads cause vomiting and generally don't pass through.

We all feel we are addicts for bad foods, hence the need for bariatric surgery. I can personally say I wish I had received better counseling prior to surgery to understand my addiction to food, and think surgeons should require the 6 month counseling prior to surgery. (There is one MD in upstate South Carolina who does require this. However, he's a good distance from where I live so I wasn't able to use him, and my insurance didn't cover him.)

Are there any other people who have older lap bands that are experiencing these problems? Is anyone with a newer band doing better?

It all boils down to diet and exercise.

I wish you had received counseling prior to surgery too. I know I did and it helped me to decide which surgery is best for me.

In my opinion based on what you wrote here, it is not that the Lap Band is not working but that you are not working the band by eating properly, you are not receiving the proper care & support and possibly the band was simply not for you. I am not pointing a finger here but it is obvious that more research was needed and perhaps a better doctor should have been chosen.

Prior to surgery, I understood that the Lap Band would just be a tool to keep me from being hungry while I did what I needed to do to lose the weight. That I would need to deal with the emotional and addictive side myself, I would have to keep track of what I was eating and give up foods that I shouldn't have.

At proper restriction you should be able to tolerate meats and veggies as long as you eat properly, taking small bites, chewing well and not overeating. So you are either too tight or perhaps you are eating too much or too fast. Do you measure how much you are eating? It is not too late to set your mind to make this work. You need counseling both psych. and nutritional. You need to decide that you will start eating properly and exercising and you need support.

My surgeons office offers that counseling should I ever need it. In fact, I had to sign a promise stating that I would seek counseling if it was determined that I needed it. I also can get nutritional counseling any time I need it. Does your doctor not offer any of this?

I am so sorry to hear that you're not doing to well with your band. I've only been banded for about a month now but one thing I've learned from reading posts and what has helped me is of course trying your best to kee active and make sure you're getting your Protein in. I read about a slow loser who only lost about 35 lbs her first year and her second year she reached her goal by simply increasing her protein. I know that its really hard to keep at it when you don't see results and going back to old habits isn't good either. We did this for a reason and you must first and foremost realize that this isn't a quick fix. We didn't gain all of our weight in a day and nor will we lose it all in one day. When you're eating, are you making sure that you are chewing really well? I noticed that once I started to chew and take smaller bites, I was able to keep food down and feel more satisfied. It does take practice, especially if you're like me and was eating military style all the time-- swallowing and not chewing lol. I do hope that with your new insurance that you can get a more support. Remember the band is just a tool in our weightloss. I do hope that helps and if you ever need to talk just let me know.

I had my lap band placed in 2006. I have had several fills, and the last time I had a fill, I had to go back to the MD to have 3/4cc removed because of severe acid reflux. In Sept 2008, I had 1/4cc put back in. I had acid reflux again, and the symptoms are just now subsiding. I have not been back to my MD for a follow up as I changed jobs in Sept, and my new insurance won't kick in until April. I can't afford the $125 office visit.

I am very, very disappointed with this lap band. I have lost about 30 lbs overall, and, I am not the only one who is not doing well with this band. I have 4 friends who have the same band from the same surgeon, and we are all at a standstill.

I have to see a dentist now because of the erosion from spitting up at night and regurgitation.

One thing I have noticed about bariatric surgery...some MDs address the mental issues and some don't. My fellow bandsters and I have all resorted to eating foods that will not hurt when they pass through the band, ie, sugary foods or fatty foods. Proteins and salads cause vomiting and generally don't pass through.

We all feel we are addicts for bad foods, hence the need for bariatric surgery. I can personally say I wish I had received better counseling prior to surgery to understand my addiction to food, and think surgeons should require the 6 month counseling prior to surgery. (There is one MD in upstate South Carolina who does require this. However, he's a good distance from where I live so I wasn't able to use him, and my insurance didn't cover him.)

Are there any other people who have older lap bands that are experiencing these problems? Is anyone with a newer band doing better?

It all boils down to diet and exercise.

Yep, quite a few of us. If you check out this board you''ll find many of them posting:

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery (VSG) AKA Gastric Sleeve (NEW!) - Lap Band Surgery and Lap Band Discussion Forum

I had the same problems as you describe so I'm speaking from experience here.

A couple of points where we disagree:

I do not believe we have a food addiction, I believe we have a food obsession. While the symptoms can be similar the treatment is not.

Also, if you can get bad foods down, you can get good foods down. If you can eat ice cream you can drink a Protein shake. If you can eat chips and Cookies you can eat dried veggies such as dried zucchini, carrots, etc.

The band doesn't make our food choices, it's supposed to limit quantity. A lot of people have band intolerance but that doesn't excuse the food choices. Believe me, I know full well what you are talking about as I experienced the same. But the band does not go to the frig and pick out foods. We do.

Sharp; You got some good advice from Jodi and NC but let me add my experience. I got banded in Sept. 08. I have lost a total of 70 pounds but only 10 from the band. The rest was either on my own or all the pre-and post-surgery diets and liquids only. After my second fill of 1cc which put me at only 3cc's in a 10 cc band I started to develop pain when eating, reflux, and heartburn. My doctor tried to tell me it was from my eating wrong and to just eat Protein and throw the rest of the food away and just take my mulitvitamin. Well, first of all I didn't get the band to live off of protein alone. He ordered an endoscopy which showed my pouch was small and high and the band tight - plus a hiatal hernia. Still not satisfied, he ordered an upper GI which showed the band very tight, the pouch and esophagus swollen and motility very limited and slow. Without waiting for me to come in the next week, my doctor called me in the same day for an unfill. Once he saw the GI pictures he knew I was in trouble. Trust me when I tell you his attitude was completely different when I went in. He removed the 1cc and I feel much better. No more reflux or pain.

Now - here is the hardest part. The band has NEVER controlled my hunger - not with 2cc's and not with 3cc's. And yes, I know the difference between head hunger, hunger, satiety and thirst. So, I have resigned myself that the band will never control hunger for me and I will have to just continue to eat healthy foods in smaller amounts.

Anytime you have the symptoms you have, you are probably too tight. You are eating slider foods. When your new insurance kicks in, why don't you get a second opinion from a different doctor - one who has a lot of experience. Even if you have to travel far for this second opinion, it will be worth it. Get copies of all your test results, especially upper GI's (get the CD, not just the report) and see another doctor. If you and your friends aren't doing well it sounds like he is not addressing your issues.

My philosophy about the band is this: The band is supposed to help you get healthier and feel better not make you sick and result in reflux, heartburn, pain and other problems. When it does, you need to demand answers and solutions. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much to everyone for your very informative, and especially to NCsQueen!

When I got my band, I was only about the 5-6th patient my surgeon had done. There was no support group for lap band, only gastric bypass. I am not the only person who is having problems. I talk to others who have had the band in the time frame I have and we all feel like there was something "left out" when we had our initial consultations.

The first three patients here in my hometown had a different band and they are doing very well. Theirs is a 5cc band, where mine is 10. (More visits = more $.)

At the time I decided to have this surgery, there was hardly anything on the web about it. It's not like it is now, and this time 3 years ago, I wouldn't have gotten the response from everyone that I got today.

I had the upper GI which only showed the reflux. I did not have reflux prior to the band. Cleo's mom-I called the MD and requested the CD today! Thanks for the awesome advice.

I know I am my own worst enemy when it comes to my weight, but I paid a lot of money for something that really doesn't work like I thought it would. Cleo's mom-again-you are right on that the hunger pains don't seem to dissipate.

At one particular visit, I had just started my cycle and the MD told me that this does not cause weight gain. I went back one week later and had lost 7 lbs from the week before. That's why I think I got a bum deal.

I look at Sharon Osborne and she looks so good that I want to find out if she had a different band.

I am going to take everyone's advice to heart and when my insurance kicks in April, I will get a second opinion.

I don't want another fill because the reflux is too much, and I get it from everything I eat, including healthy food.

Thank you to everyone who wrote back.

Sharp - I was only my doctor's 23rd banding patient. While he might be a good surgeon it has become apparent to me these past 6 months that he has little experience with the problems and complications of the band. It's a one size fits all philosophy. Sounds like your doctor is similarly inexperienced. That is why I am going for a second opinion to a doctor who has done hundreds if not thousand of bandings and works out of a hospital of excellence. I want a new, experienced set of eyes to look over everything that was done and said to me to see if I'm on the right track. Then I'll decide whether I need to change doctors. Good luck.

Hi this is my first response in a long time. I had my band done in 8/08 8 months ago. I have only lost 30 but, even though I have 6 .5 in a 10 band I still eat too much. I have salad, Bagels, sushi w/rice and even Pasta I do have the restriction and can eat about half the amt I would have but not loosing much. I don't have any nausa, acid or throwing up. can you give any advice?

It sounds like you haven't reached your sweet spot yet and probably need an additional fill. Only 3cc's was too tight for me. I am at 2cc's now with the unfill. I don't hold out any hope that I will ever find my sweet spot. If you don't have any problems and are still hungry - then you probably need at least one more fill. What does your doctor say?

Hi this is my first response in a long time. I had my band done in 8/08 8 months ago. I have only lost 30 but, even though I have 6 .5 in a 10 band I still eat too much. I have salad, Bagels, sushi w/rice and even Pasta I do have the restriction and can eat about half the amt I would have but not loosing much. I don't have any nausa, acid or throwing up. can you give any advice?

My advice....

DON'T Eat...bagles, rice and Pasta

Try to find more whole UNPROCESSED food to fill yourself up on. If you want rice, eat brown rice, pasta - whole grain pasta...as for the bagels - don't eat'em period.

April Avengers has a pretty extensive thread with recipes...give it a look.

It's hard for us to turn our backs on our old eating habits, but that's what we have to do if we are going to be sucessful in the end.

I don't know if you were self pay or covered under your insurance, but wither way I have no doubt that you had to go through alot to get your band, so I guess the question to ask yourself would be.....

After everything I did to get this tool.....why aren't I using it the way it's ment to be used.

I realize I'm a new bandster and haven't walked down the same path yet....but this is the approach I am taking with myself...also planning to go back to more of a "south beach-ish" way of eating (when I can start eating that is) that's something else you may want to give some consideration to.

Good luck I hope you can get back into the groove!!

I was banded 3 years ago. I was successful the first 6 months. I lost about 60 lbs. After that, I stopped loosing but didn't gain. Now that I'm almost 3 years out I'm beginning to gain again. I've probably put on 20 lbs. in the last 6months. I'm sooooooooo sick of this.

I was banded 3 years ago. I was successful the first 6 months. I lost about 60 lbs. After that, I stopped loosing but didn't gain. Now that I'm almost 3 years out I'm beginning to gain again. I've probably put on 20 lbs. in the last 6months. I'm sooooooooo sick of this.

I'm also 3 years out. About 15 months ago I had an obstruction and had to have all of the Fluid in my band removed. Here's the kicker: when I started having Fluid slowly (and expensively) added back into my band, I have lost all sensation of restriction and satiety. Consequently, I've put on a bit more than 20lbs. Try 45lbs. Not trying to top you, just to let you know that I REALLY know what you are going through.

I met with my surgeon this morning. He said he has about 10 patients a year with the same problem. He said the only option (in my case) is to completely replace the band. I have the first generation lap band (probably the same as you) and he gave me the option of going with the 3rd generation lap band ap or the realize band. He set my surgery date for November 19th! That's in 22 days! OMFG.

You know, at the pinnacle of my new healthy improved body (when I weighed 180), I said "wow, this was so worth it! if I had to do it all over again I totally would".

Well that's bull $#it. now I actually have to do it again and i'm pissed. slowly but surely, i'm going through all this crap again. don't make my mistake again gain any more weight. get checked out soon.

On a quasi-related note, I've been doing research on the realize band vs. the new lap band and honestly, I think I'm going to stick with the lap band. There's a pros/cons list on Lapband.com - Compare LAP-BAND® and REALIZEâ„¢ Band – Get the Facts which is the pro-lap band side and a similar list at http://www.realize.com/dtcf/pages/compare-lap-band.htm which is the pro-realize side. I'm still doing my research.

Keep us posted on how it goes. You may just need a fill :-)

Edited by jamitchell23
changed my mind about something

all this sounds very familiar...

I was banded (realize band) about 2 years ago. Had lost about 15 lbs prior to surgery from the preop low carb diet. I kept losing slowly until the second fill. This one was too tight and I started vomiting. The took all the Fluid out and had to wait a few weeks to start fillign again. then started filling every few months. long story short, after that intiial weight loss I never lost weight again. they kept fillign the band until they filled it all the way and took just a little out. never felt any resctriction. for some reason, I could easily eat all i wanted with no saciety at all.

They did a revision last year, took that band out and put a new one in. No luck. two years later I gained all my weight back plus10 lbs.

I am able to follow good eating habits and diet but the idea of the band is that it is supposed to help you. mine did not help me at all. My doctor works at a big bariatric center and the nurse has told me that lots of patients are going thorugh the same thing.

I am now going to have a sleeve in 2 days. i am dreading tomorrow which is only Clear Liquids all day and it is Sunday, so I'll be home all day. It'll be hard especially while my entire family is here eating normal food. I may just have to go outside all day...

But I am hoping this surgery will help me control the amount of food I eat. I realize if i eat junk it won't help, but i should lose weigth if i eat less and not junk. right now i do not eat junk, but the band does not help me eat less... Hope the sleeve works better!