Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting the process

I live in Tucson and need to loose 122 pounds. Like most I have gained and lost and gained and lost all my adult life. I am having more medical issues and just recently my knees started to really bother me. I am going to the seminar here in 2 weeks. I have verified my insurance does cover it. I know that this is a long process and a lifestyle change. I am up to the challange and just wish I knew the reasons why I can't flip the switch in my head and not have to resort to surgery. It frightens me.

Well, here is to the start of something just for me, my health, and my new life to come.

philtrannie

I think you will do wonderful with the LapBand! I was just banded on March 16th and have already dropped 17 lbs. I got below 300 lbs and I haven't been under 300 in 5 yrs!! The LapBand is a fabulous tool! I wish you the best of luck in your journey to a new healthier you!!! I'm in Tucson as well! Just moved here 7 months ago. God Bless!

I'm also starting the process in Tucson. I had my first appt with the surgeon on Thursday. He gave me the name of the psychologist, so I have that appt scheduled for Monday. Like you, I have serious knee issues that weight loss should help significantly. I'm going to pay the psychologist out of pocket just to get it done sooner and bya psych that knows how to fill out the paperwork for bariatric procedures. I have my fingers crossed that I can push this whole thing through quickly. If insurance denies it, I will self pay.

Good luck to you! Which doctor are you seeing? I was referred to Schwartz since he plays well with my insurance company.

Hi.....I understand where you are coming from...Some times you need to refect on your life and try to see how you can help yourself and make it better for the future. This was my reason and my reflection that i know the Lap Band will be able to help me with....There is no doubt this is a lifestyle change and I am willing to accept that already.

I work for one of the hospitals in town and it was suggested to me to go to Dr. Schwartz, although I understand Dr. Monash is also an excellent surgeon. Most of this is how it is documented for the insurance company. I know it takes a while and I am hoping that by this time next year I've been through it and working on my new lifestyle.

Well since we are starting this together, maybe we can stay in touch through the process for support.

I'm just ready to do something to lose the pounds. I'm just frustrated. Hopefully I can find the fast track through the process.

I am frustrated as well. I don't, though, necessarily want to fast track this. I have doubts and so many questions that need to be answered first. Fear is a big huge factor for me. Dumb huh.

Barbara

I WOULD TRY TO SEE DR MONASH !! I HAVE DEALT WITH BOTH OF THEM AND HE HAS WAY BETTER BEDSIDE MANNER AND DOES EVERYTHING HIMSELF LIKE CALLING YOU RIGHT BACK WHEN YOU HAVE QUESTIONS AND HE DOES HIS OWN FILLS. i JUST LOVE HIM!!

I am frustrated as well. I don't, though, necessarily want to fast track this. I have doubts and so many questions that need to be answered first. Fear is a big huge factor for me. Dumb huh.

Barbara

No Barbara, that's not dumb at all. It's actually smart! I think I researched this so much before I started that I really feel like I know most of what will happen. My knee is so bad that I can't do the things I enjoy the most. I've dealt with it for a year, and that's long enough. This is my last resort before knee replacement.

If you see Dr. Schwartz, be prepared. He's a man of few words. I think he saw me for a total of 2 minutes. He pretty much told me that my BMI isn't high enough, so it won't be an easy approval. I took my insurance paperwork and 5 years of medical records to that visit. He gave me a piece of paper that showed me the remaining steps so that he could submit the insurance paperwork. The first step was to see the psychologist - Terri Farmer in Oro Valley. I've always wondered where Dove Mountain is, now I know :huh2:

She was super. She explained that Dr. Schwartz doesn't have much to say until he knows that it's either approved for insurance, or that the client will/can self pay. She said that at that point, he is very thorough. She explained much of the procedure to me and discussed what life would be like post band. I was aware of most of it based on what I've read on this site.

My biggest fear is dehydration. As you know, it's so easy to dehydrate in the desert. I'm used to drinking a liter of Water at a time after exercise. I won't be able to do that. Now I'll have to learn to spread it out before I need the liter.

What are your fears?

I am a redhead and redheads tend to be bleeders. I also have a very high gag reflex which means if I don't handle the texture of the smell of the food/medication going down I tend to have more vomiting. I know I can handle the liquid diet, it is the puree I'm concerned about. I am also concerned about port infection.

I work for TMC and although I know HIPPA is followed to the letter at the hospital, tongues still wag and curiosity still gets the best of people.

I still also keep thinking there has to be something other than surgery. I do understand that this is a lifestyle change and I don't know if more counseling would help me get to that point or what. I sometimes feel I am such a big looser/failure at this that is also holding me back.

I go to the seminar on 04/01/2009 and will hopefully get more answers then.

Ahh.. so it's your medical background that is worrying you the most. I guess for me, ignorance is bliss.

The privacy thing would really bother me though. I'm trying to keep this a secret from everyone except friends that live in other states. In the past, my husband's ex-wife's sister was "reviewing" my medical records. If word of my plans get out this time, I intend to have her job.

I've given up on the other options short of surgery. I hate to admit failure at diets, but it's time for me to lose my ability to make bad decisions. Have you tried any counseling? You may be depressed and overeating as a result.

I hope you can find a way to deal with your worries. I'll be happy to listen!

You will find your way. Don't get discourged even though it's easy to do. And don't think you are a loser. Surgery is just an extra tool you give yourself.