Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No energy/stamina, Is this normal?

Hi, I was banded on the 13, and I've got no energy. Did a load of wash, and ironed 3 blouses..... I barely made it up the basement steps. I'm exhausted. I started back to work last Thursday so this week it's 5 full day.... How am I going to make it through the week?

Anyone else experiencing this exhaustion? If so, what are you doing to get your stamina back..

Michele

I was banded on the 19th and at first I had no energy. But I started walking around slowly and frequently and I began to get my energy back. I would sugguest walking around slowly every hour and your energy should come back.

Good luck!:)

Hi Michele,

I was banded on Jan 28th, and I felt the exact same way—it was the only real negative side effect I had, actually. General lethargy, and extreme exhaustion after pretty minor tasks. The first two full weeks back at work (where I have a desk job) were hell for me. I expected to be a ball of energy after the surgery, and I was so disappointed in myself for being tired all the time. It sucked, to be blunt!

BUT--it does get better! The most important thing for me was to listen to my body, cut myself some slack and be "lazy" if I needed to be (even let the housework slide), and build back up to my normal routine gradually. I think kra102's suggestion is a good one, just try to do some light moving around/walking every hour or so, nothing strenuous. If you're able to during your work day, I suggest you take small breaks, step outside for fresh air and a quick walk around the block--it helped me alot.

Also, just getting more sleep at night those first couple weeks was a huge necessity for me. It felt weird, but I'd force myself into bed pretty early (8pm some days), so I could get 9-10 hours. I know that's not practical for everyone, of course, but if you can swing it, I'd highly recommend it!

And, of course, make sure you're getting plenty of Water and Protein and taking your Vitamins.

Most important--DON'T beat yourself up! You've made a huge life change that will take some adjusting to. And everyone's body is different. Some people bounce right back, other's require more time and TLC. If you're feeling over stressed about it, call your doctor and let him/her know what's up.

Hope some of that is helpful. Congratulations on your band and good luck!

Valerie

I don't think you should worry to much.....I had surgery on Dec. 4 '08 and I still get dizzy or just to pooped to move.....Like when I don't eat enough calories :eek: That is something that I have to work on all the time...Sounds weird but you gotta eat!:mellow: once your able to eat a more "normal" diet not just soft or mushie foods you should start to feel better....until then it really is best to rest ....I wasn't able to go up stairs without falling over for at least the first two months :) I hope you have fantastic success with your band!!!

Hi,

Thanks for your advice/words of support etc. I was really starting to get concerned abut the energy level. But, you all make terrific sense.... Just listen to my body and everything will work out... after all, I've come this far.

Hugs,

Michele

I was banded on 3/19 and feel the same way, no energy. I am also having a hard time getting all my Protein. Some things I had planned, like protein chicken broth are not setting well at all. Today did a vanilla protein and did better. The walking hasn't helped me so far. Pam

You'll feel so much better when you can eat a little more. I felt exactly the same and was just plain worn out! Once I could eat more, I felt instantly better. I'm 10 days out from surgery and on day 7- I somehow could tolerate more food and when I ate more than 600 calories I felt much, much better! I was like the swelling went down in my stomach and I felt hunger for the first time and could consume a little more. Like already said, cut yourself some slack, take it easy, sleep more and once your stomach can handle it - eating a little more will bring your energy back. I think being sore from the surgery itself was also exhausting. It really does get better!!

I was banded in 10/07 but just had to get re-banded due to a slippage and I remember feeling the exact same way. I had my surgery 3/17 and I fell like crap, so tired and just dont feel like doing anything. I remember feeling this way and I also remember starting to feel better as I was able to eat more foods. I believe it is a matter of not getting enough calories and having to allow your body to recover. It does get better! Just hang in there!

I was banded on the 11th, and also have NO ENERGY. If i do the dishes, or a simple task, i also am worn out afterwards. I initially lost 17 lbs. in 2 weeks, (the week before and the week after surgery), but in this last week, i have only lost 1 lb. so i am getting discouraged. i'm barely eating at all, and i think that may be why i'm so tired, but i'm afraid if i try to eat more, i will definately not lose weight. so i'm frustrated. i'm just really tired, and i have walked on the treadmill a couple of times, but it makes my stomach so sore, i think i'm going to stop for now.

I was banded on the 11th, and also have NO ENERGY. If i do the dishes, or a simple task, i also am worn out afterwards. I initially lost 17 lbs. in 2 weeks, (the week before and the week after surgery), but in this last week, i have only lost 1 lb. so i am getting discouraged. i'm barely eating at all, and i think that may be why i'm so tired, but i'm afraid if i try to eat more, i will definately not lose weight. so i'm frustrated. i'm just really tired, and i have walked on the treadmill a couple of times, but it makes my stomach so sore, i think i'm going to stop for now.

Dont get discouraged.. You did great as far as losing weight. At first the weight loss is almost instant but it can not keep up at that pace with the band. Mostly Water weight I would think is the initial loss. i was banded on 2/23 and am only down 10 pounds - but I feel ok with it. I am getting a fill on Friday so i hope that jump starts me again. I am able to eat pretty much anything at this point and nothing bothers me - but I am not eating as much as preband.

Just give it time, don't feel disappointed. Everything takes time. This is a lifetime change, commitment. You can and will do. Cut yourself some slack.

I also foudn the treadmill to hurt my stomach, but I am able to walk outside with a lot less pain, so I recommend that to you.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Have a great day. You are doing fantastic...

la38-

Don't be discouraged. I remember from my previous banding experience I lost 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks and than only lost 5 lbs over the next 4 wks until I got my first fill. The loss in the first 2 weeks is due to the liquid diet and lack of eating, it is not typical. Just take it one day at a time, do as much as you feel like you can do and before you know it you will be back to 100%, feeling great and on the road to permanent weight loss. The Band was the best thing I ever did for myself!!! Even with the complication, I am so happy I got the band because I just dont gain weight back now:thumbsup:

Edited by jennibells

thanks for the encouragement, you guys have made me feel better. i think i'm going to try not walking on the treadmill and just walking outside for now. i am able to eat very little, maybe a 1/2 cup a few times a day but i am not consuming very much Protein either. i can't tolerate another protein drink....... so i don't know why i feel so awful, but thank goodness as of today, my left shoulder pain has STOPPED yay! it was painful, but it's suddenly gone and i am so happy. i am on my mushy food stage, just trying to figure out what to eat is becoming a pain, but atleast i'm getting to eat now......... and.....has anyone been able to eat popcorn? i know that's random, but we go to the movies A LOT and i've been avoiding going for a month because i don't think i can sit through a movie and not have popcorn! lol

I was able to eat popcorn when I was in the stage of eating normal food. I wouldn't try to eat it before you have completely healed. I love popcorn too and I was so relieved to find out that I could still eat it:smile:

I've been really discouraged too about the lack of weight loss - I finally broke a barrier of no loss for last 9 days! woo hoo! I'm down to 221 this a.m. and was 224 yesterday. I know a lot of that is Water also - reducing my sodium intake from all the Soups and such caused that.

I also bought the 42g super whey shots in orange flavor - so increased my protien which might have made a difference also. Anyway - sure is nice to finally see even a small change of a few lbs!!