Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is God real?

Religions are the problem in the world.

This is actually a good point. One's belief in a god is a personal choice and, in America anyway (where I am), that's a protected right. Nothing wrong with it at all.

The problem is in giving power to mediators and allowing the mediators to speak FOR a god, who, of course, can make their god then agree with and support whatever the mediator wants. And then giving political clout to that mediator. Who then, of course, use it to crap on everyone they don't favor.

It always seemed somewhat odd to me that if such a supernatural being existed, it would need fallible humans to speak for it.

That's 4 nos. How can you be so sure?

FTR, atheists, generally speaking, aren't "sure". We simply go on the available evidence.

After thousands of years and thousands of gods, there's never been a single shred of honest evidence for the existence of any of them.

Now, granted - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But it certainly isn't evidence of existence, either.

That said, while I am an atheist, I am entirely open to real evidence of the existence of a god. Show me something actually useful and I'm all ears.

This is actually a good point. One's belief in a god is a personal choice and, in America anyway (where I am), that's a protected right. Nothing wrong with it at all.

The problem is in giving power to mediators and allowing the mediators to speak FOR a god, who, of course, can make their god then agree with and support whatever the mediator wants. And then giving political clout to that mediator. Who then, of course, use it to crap on everyone they don't favor.

It always seemed somewhat odd to me that if such a supernatural being existed, it would need fallible humans to speak for it.

You are correct. God doesn't need anyone to speak for him. Not priests, popes, ministers, nuns, angels, noone. He gave mankind his words in His Holy scriptures, which we call the bible. He speaks directly to mankind through this book. It is easy to understand and read. The problem seems to be that people don't want to take the time to read it for themselves, and instead choose to trust others to bring them the news that's in it. (They even believe the made up stuff that others choose to add to it to benefit their own agendas)

You are correct. God doesn't need anyone to speak for him. Not priests, popes, ministers, nuns, angels, noone. He gave mankind his words in His Holy scriptures, which we call the bible. He speaks directly to mankind through this book. It is easy to understand and read. The problem seems to be that people don't want to take the time to read it for themselves, and instead choose to trust others to bring them the news that's in it. (They even believe the made up stuff that others choose to add to it to benefit their own agendas)

I really don’t see the difference between the made up stuff that is “added” and the made up stuff that is already in there.

FTR, atheists, generally speaking, aren't "sure". We simply go on the available evidence.

After thousands of years and thousands of gods, there's never been a single shred of honest evidence for the existence of any of them.

Now, granted - absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But it certainly isn't evidence of existence, either.

That said, while I am an atheist, I am entirely open to real evidence of the existence of a god. Show me something actually useful and I'm all ears.

You sound more like an agnostic than an atheist. Agnostics say,"I don't know."

All that many Christians have to give is their own testimony. As a christian, I know what I was before I decided to believe in Jesus and trust him for my salvation, and I know what I am now that I have turned from that way of life. I am a different person. I guess what it takes is an act of faith. Once you decide to make God real in your life, He then becomes real in your life. I can't explain it very well, but I'll try. Every person is born physically. At some point in their life, they ponder life. Is there a creator? Is there an after life? Why am I here? They then make a choice. To believe that there is a God or to reject it. Those who choose to believe pray to this God that created them and either confess to him that they believe in Him or simply by the fact that they are talking to him, God sees that they believe. They are then born again. This time spiritually. There is a change that comes upon the believer. His eyes are opened and he now understands spiritual things. God comes to dwell in his physical body, which God calls his temple. The believer then begins to hunger and thirst after righteousness and desires to learn all that he can about this God who created them. They have a connection with all others who believe in God as well, for now they get it. That's why some christians call other christians their brothers or sisters in Christ. Now they see, they understand that there is more to this life. That is why christians are called born againers. There really is 2 births for every person, but until you accept Jesus as your Savior, you will never experience the 2nd spiritual birth. Hope that helps.

Edited by pattygreen

You can't see the wind, yet the effects of it proves it's existence. What proof does anyone have that God does not exist?

Patty Green, God bless you for your willingness to share your knowledge with others. Today was the first time I read your posts because I'm not here very often. I don't believe anyone who has not had the experience of being born again in Christ can understand the change in out hearts that takes place. It's hopeless to try to explain if their hearts are hardened for Jesus. We are so lucky to have recieved the gift of Grace and faith. I think we should pray for everyone that hasn't recieved what we have been so blessed with.

Patty Green, God bless you for your willingness to share your knowledge with others. Today was the first time I read your posts because I'm not here very often. I don't believe anyone who has not had the experience of being born again in Christ can understand the change in out hearts that takes place. It's hopeless to try to explain if their hearts are hardened for Jesus. We are so lucky to have recieved the gift of Grace and faith. I think we should pray for everyone that hasn't recieved what we have been so blessed with.

Thankyou. It is nice to hear from someone who believes as I do. I think that if others knew that there was a spiritual life that they could experience instead of just their physical life, they may desire to seek after it. I always pray every day for all of the people I have gotten to know on LBT as well as those who read the forums and don't ever post. Some here don't like me very much, and I believe it is because I speak truthfully from Gods word, and because sometimes I'm not very subtle. (Did I spell that right?)They tell me they don't believe anything I say. I still care for them though. I appreciate your words of encouragment. Thanks. And you're right. We are blessed.

Edited by pattygreen

i believe that the concept of religion was fabricated to make people morally just.... though there is no way that there is a god... but religion is good because it creates morals... and even though i don't believe i will make my kids go to church so that they will have good morals

i believe that the concept of religion was fabricated to make people morally just.... though there is no way that there is a god... but religion is good because it creates morals... and even though i don't believe i will make my kids go to church so that they will have good morals

If there is no author to the guidebook that gives us the moral code of standard, then who decides what is right and wrong? God laid down the original laws for all mankind to abide by and man has passed these standards down through the generations. If God had not said "thou shalt not steal" who would determine that it isn't okay? good morals are a good thing for your children, but it's also good to know who set the good morals standard. (God himself)

religion does not create morals. Morality far pre-dates religion. In many ways it is the source of immorality (i.e. murdering dr.s in church, for example).

Teaching your children contradictory, arbitrary absurdity in order to make them moral seems like the backwards way of doing it.

Morality comes from empathy with other humans - something religion teaches directly against.

I can only speak for me, but volunteering, donating, striving to be a better person only started for me after leaving religion and abandoning belief in a god. Up until then it was a "hey, I'm saved. I'll be forgiven" sort of thing.