Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really only for "health reasons?"

For me, it was all about vanity. I was simply tired of being fat. I didn't have any major health issues, but after years of yo-yoing I needed some form of WLS to help take off the weight.

I'm young and haven't developed any of the typical health problems that go along with being fat. Yet. I know I'll have much better quality of life fixing my weight issues now then waiting until those things come along.

And I miss roller coasters, hate mens' wearhouse suits, and would like to use less air when I scuba dive!

I was thin once.... About 20+ years ago. so I know what it feels like. I wanted that back. My health was deteriorating, my husband was losing interest, I felt like crap all the time, and I wanted to be normal. Did I want to be hot? Who wouldn't, but at almost age 50 I knew that wasn't likely. Although my husband says I am. Bless him. I just wanted to buy regular ladies clothes. I HATE what they have to offer in PLUS size...... Plus = matronly. Nothing fun. I was sick of it.

I am all about vanity, never about health. I have been blessed with a very healthy body, but I know it can only take so much abuse. I see how my Mom's health is and I would like to avoid those problems.

My career is a big factor, I am in the Military. It sucks to feel like I am not worthy to have my job of 19 years because I am so fat. Also, there are sooo many young fit people around me all the time, it amplifies to me that I am not one of them. Then there's the whole fitness testing and job requirement issues that I have to survive and I am tired of barely making it.

Being uncomfortable in bed and getting sore feet from standing or walking is a factor too.

I was 26 when I decided to have the surgery. I did it because my mom called me very early every morning just to make sure I hadn't stopped breathing in my sleep. I didn't and still don't suffer from any co-morbidities, but come on, I probably would never have lived to see 40 years old. Reality was terrifying.

I wanted to prevent future health problems, for sure. My weight was just starting to make me feel unhealthy but I had no real issues. It was probably 80% a cosmetic issue for me.

I was sick to death of looking chubby, matronly and being categorized as another 40 + middle aged mother. I wanted to be HOT. And at almost 41 I am. I am fitter than most women half my age, I have muscles, I am toned, I can wear great clothes, and dont have to hide behind long hair. And I still have plenty of years to enjoy it. Most people guess I'm about 32. Which is amazing to me since I felt about 60.

I did it for both reasons. I had sleep apena, arthritis in my knees, high blood pressure. But I was also tired of getting the looks from people, the heart breaks, and yes the clothing.

Now the problem is that I don't know how to handle the positive attention (from guys). Do we have a thread about? If not we need one haha.

If i'm being honest I would say it was 60/40 for me.....

60% vanity and wanting to look good, 40% health issues, I'm 32y/o and most days feel 62...I have arthritis in my hips, bad knees, ankles, fractures in both feet (no trama, Dr still shakes his head at that one), back pain, and high blood pressure.

My husband is always telling me how hot I am be it at 265lbs or the current 235....sometimes I get ready to go out and thinkg damn I look good...then I catch a sidewas glance in the mirror or see a picture afterwords, take about busting my bubble!!!

I want to be able to agree with my hubby when he says I'm hot, and not see a pic later that says we were both lying!!!

Given that the criteria for most insurance to cover the procedure is 100 pounds overweight, LB will benefit health if you don't cheat the band. I did't have major health problems: blood pressure slightly elevate, cholesterol was excellent, heart perfect, no diabetees. But the facts are simply that a person can't carry that much extra and not eventually have health problems. What really got me to do it was seeing some other parents playing with their kids in a way I just could'nt. Playing tag or football. I was just too out of condition to run. I don't know if that is health or not. And yes, I'm hoping that I will be more attractive to my wife. I don't know if

100% vanity. was sick to death of looking like i did. never being able to buy or fit into the clothes i wanted to buy/wear. improving health is the nice side effect for me. i was pretty healthy (besides being fat) before and led an active lifestyle. it has been all about how i look.