Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome...anyone?!? [HELP]

Hello to all, I have a question for y'all, has anyone else been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) [b4 surgery]?

here is some background info on the disease: It's an endocrine disorder that affects about 5% of all females. It is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is the leading cause of inferitility:crying:. Some of the principal features are WEIGHT PROBLEMS, lack of regular ovulation or menstruation, and excessive amounts of masculizing (makes u look like a man) hormones. Symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly among women, and while causes are not known insulin risistance, diabetes, and OBESITY are all strongly associated with the disease.

Well my real question is has anyone been diagnosed with this problem? after losing weight did your obgyn say that the problem went away? can you or have you had children whilst having this disease? or after you have lost the weight did the doctor say that PCOS went away and now you can have kids?

I'm very curious to get some answers, because I have been diagnosed with PCOS, and the doctor told me that it may be hard for me to have kids when I actually want them:crying:. He also made it seem as if I lost the weight this problem would go away. I didn't have this issue before I put on the weight [just for informations sake].

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Hello to all, I have a question for y'all, has anyone else been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) [b4 surgery]?

here is some background info on the disease: It's an endocrine disorder that affects about 5% of all females. It is the most common hormonal disorder among women of reproductive age, and is the leading cause of inferitility:crying:. Some of the principal features are WEIGHT PROBLEMS, lack of regular ovulation or menstruation, and excessive amounts of masculizing (makes u look like a man) hormones. Symptoms and severity of the syndrome vary greatly among women, and while causes are not known insulin risistance, diabetes, and OBESITY are all strongly associated with the disease.

Well my real question is has anyone been diagnosed with this problem? after losing weight did your obgyn say that the problem went away? can you or have you had children whilst having this disease? or after you have lost the weight did the doctor say that PCOS went away and now you can have kids?

I'm very curious to get some answers, because I have been diagnosed with PCOS, and the doctor told me that it may be hard for me to have kids when I actually want them:crying:. He also made it seem as if I lost the weight this problem would go away. I didn't have this issue before I put on the weight [just for informations sake].

any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Yep, it's common. Lots of WLS folks have it and they go on to lose weight well. It might take a bit of extra effort but it's totally doable.

I have PCOS that is one of my main reasons to wanting the band. They had a hard time with me beacause they had difficulty because two docs dais edometriosis (sp?) and three now have said PCOS. Each case is different for example many women with PCOS have high testosterone with me my hormone levels are somewhat high it is my estrogen that is the highest (go figure). Some women have dark sploshes on their skin along with facial and body hair, I don't I think it has to do with the estrogen. After lose and keeping the weight off my docotor has told me that many women with PCOS are able concieve without fertility treatments.

My daughter was diagnosed with PCOS and told that conceiving would be very difficult for her.. She has weight issues and lots of body hair.. They took her off birth control and started trying to control her hormones... Had to have a little surgery, too. She was so dejected at the thought of not having children. I told her that they didn't say she couldn't, but that she would need "help" when the time was right... Well, let me say that no one was more surprised than her OB/GYN when she turned up pregnant shortly after the surgery.. She had a little more difficult pregnancy, but delivered fine and now has a wonderfully healthy, normal 23 month old little girl..... She actually did very well for a while, but recently her "female problems' have resurfaced. She does struggle to lose weight... And the doctor did say that they figure the reason that she did conceive when she did was that she had managed to lose 30 pounds and that did the trick.....(along with the obvious, of course!!!!)

I think the PCOS is different for everyone... don't count yourself out of anything... Anything is possible in this world as long as we don't quit trying... Best of luck to you in all of our ventures....

I have PCOS and had lap band surgery 6 months ago- however, my weight loss has been extremely slow on 27lbs total (this is including the 2 week pre-surgery diet & weight loss). I'm fully restricted, even went back in today to have some saline removed as I have been having trouble with all foods & beverages for the past 3 months. I immediately throw up after eating only 1/4 cup of food or liquid.

I don't know what to eat or how to eat and my hair is coming out by the hand full, I'm assuming to a lack of Protein intake.

Women with PCOS also suffer from metabolic syndrome due to the imbalance of hormones.

I'm not on b/c pills but I'm still taking Metformin for the insulin resistence.

Yes everyones hormonal make up is different so the severity of the symptoms of PCOS vary.

My endocronologist supported me having the lapband surgery - but I was not prepared for the extremely slow weight loss -only 1/2 per week.

MMDLynn, good job on losing 1/2 pound a week... Just think positive... It may be slow but it is coming off... I need to take that attitude myself when I get frustrated that things aren't going fast enough... the Hair loss is normal and is not from deficiencies, but the after effects of surgery.. It usually comes from 3-4 months after..The anesthesia is very hard on the body and this is how it reacts.. It will stop and you will not go bald... It has happened to me every time I have had a major surgery.. And I still have my hair.. I'm about done with it this time.. It has finally stopped coming out so bad when I comb my hair...

I koow how hard this PCOS is for my daughter and I know how hard it is to lose weight.. keep up the good work, all of you.. In my experience it will help you to conceive down the road a bit... Take care and keep the faith...................

I have PCOS as well. That's one of the reasons I wanted the lapband in the first place. Since the surgery, even though it hasn't been that long, I already notice that my symptoms are lessening! I think that it would definitely be possible to have children.

I have PCOS, but I am beyond child bearing. Losing the weight has helped me with my PCOS symptoms. I no longer have to take metforming for insulin resistance. I have a normal A1C score now. I haven't had my hormone levels checked yet, but the body hair has slowed. PCOS was used in helping to determine if I was eligible for surgery. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

I have P.C.O.S as well, i wasnt diagnosed with it until after being banded..

I think i did pretty well for myself... 120lbs in 2 yrs isnt too shabby i dont think....

Im taking the Metformin as well as Yasmin to control my PCOS, and excercise and weight loss helped control my pcos greatly.

im still dealing with some of the annoying symptoms but to a lighter degree of seriousness..

except for the hair loss. i still cant get that under control.. oh well beggers cant be choosers...

MITRI!!!!! YOUR ALIVE!!!!!! I WAS STARTING TO WRRY WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU ... i HAVENT HEARD FROM YOU SINCE LIKE SEPT!!

I have PCOS and tried for over a year to conceive my son. I was taking Metformin and when they boosted me up to 2000mg/day I got pregnant the next month. There is always hope, it's a matter of tweaking the therapy.

It's such an evil disorder. I HATE it! I hope my symptoms lessen after I lose weight. I spent over 3k on laser hair removal only for it to grow back! UGH.

Hang in there!

I have PCOS, and all it's symptoms (all the 'normal' symptoms, minus the High BP, and plus some other symptoms),being diagnosed in 1997. My current dr recommended me the Lap-Band as a potential solution. I have yet to get my band--on the road to it, though!--so I may be talking out of my 'bahookie' (as my kids call it), but most people I speak to who have lost a lot of weight while having PCOS (not necessarily from LB though) have said how their symptoms have lessened. Many of those are doing low-carb diets with it, and rave how their symptoms have nearly subsided. I'm a carb-o-holic, but it's my understanding when you do the LB you should be going low-carb anyhow, so I am excited about shedding some of these damned symptoms, and possibly getting pregnant soon :crying:

Living with PCOS can be very difficult for some of us. I wish you luck with your journey.

I can totally relate to this. I have had PCOS for years. Now that I am banded, I have been able to stop the metformin. I am on b/c pills for the rest of the hormone issues. I am feeling much better lately. I may consider having another child after I loose all the weight. I was able to get pregnant with Metformin and clomid. I have two healthy little girls. Which is amazing because at 18 they said I'd never have children. Thank God for modern medicine. Good luck ladies.

I was diagnosed with PCOS six years ago. I was put on Metformin 2000MG which helped control it.

Then when I was banded, I couldn't swallow the pills so I stopped taking them and decided I would talk to my doctor about an alternative at my next appointment. During this time all of my PCOS symptoms started going away and blood tests a couple months after surgery showed no sign of PCOS, this was even before I lost a good deal of weight!

My advice:

1.) If you are not doing so, see an Endocrinologist or a Reproductive Endocrinologist for treatment, they specialize in this area.

2.) Watch your processed carbs. PCOS is a form of insulin resistance. Cutting out white flour, Pasta, rice and starchy veggies (potato, corn, etc) will go a long way to help get it under control.

3.) Don't let your doctor treat it with birth control pills alone. That is like a band-aid treatment. Sure it may force your body to start having cycles but it does not treat the underlying problem-insulin resistance. Insulin Sensitizing drugs work much better (Metformin/Glucophage).

4.) Get the condition under control with weight loss and/or Medication and there is no reason why you can't conceive.

DS#1 was after I lost 50 on my own. I am preband, and after the prescribed waiting period, we plan on going for #4.... good luck!

In case you haven't visited it yet, I thought I would mention that there is also a special area of the boards for PCOS. Just scroll down from the main forum page and you should find it ! Good luck !