Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gross, but I have to warn you...

I was banded a week ago today, and I had the most horrible experience today. I have to tell folks, even though it is gross, because when the doctor told me, I couldn't have imagined exactly what he was talking about until it happened. Excuse the description, but I just don't want this to happen to ANYONE unnecessarily.

At mid-day today, I found myself stuck in a public bathroom, late returning from my lunch break with Constipation so bad I thought I might have to go to ER. I am not joking. I am not being dramatic. It was so bad I chewed a laxative pill in desperation. I had a conversation with God because I wasn't sure I was going to make it. As sweat rolled down my face from the pain, I wondered how I was going to explain this to the school secretary.:)

Now, my good doctor had warned me about this, but I thought it'd be similar to what I'd experienced with other minor surgical interventions. My Friends, it was not. Clearly, in an attempt to remain professional, Doc couldn't grab me by the shirt collar and slap me around a couple of times in order to impress upon me how bad the problem might become, but it would have helped if he had. I would much rather have been slapped than to experience what I did today. So here it is--I am sending you a virtual slap to get your attention. :ohmy:Take the laxatives!

Eventually, with a number of OTC remedies, I was OK. I did return to work in time to teach my last class, and after warning my freshman that I was in no mood, they were very kind to me as we finished out the day.:blink:

OK, I'll be done now, but if you find yourself in this situation, don't say I didn't try to warn ya.

good to know. Thanks for the tip

Omgosh Mae,

I had a similar experience, but I was never told about the possibility. I couldn't go, had pain and cramps and sweat ROLLING down my body. I was in so much pain! Of course this was on a Friday when my doctor wasn't available and I didn't know what to do. I called a walk-in clinic to see if the doctor there could remove my impacted "steel" ball. I almost went to the emergency room, but didn't want to pay my co-pay. So, I kept at it and FINALLY was able to pass it. Luckily I didn't pass-out from the experience. So, I now take a daily stool softener product.

Man i havnt experince anything like that since surgery,but i have went only twice since surgey on 2/25/09, so i know it will come

Bless your heart! What a miserable experience. Thank you for sharing! I will be SURE and take the proper measures to avoid any similar predicaments... :)

Slap received...OOOOW! Thanks for the warning!

Owwww- yea- it took 5 days after I had my Daughter- I was holding the sides of the toilet and asking myself if this was the end. So, for sure I am going to have a handy stash of thee laxs and prunes at my disposal. Thanks for the reminder!

OK, let me be clear. Apple juice is not going to cut it. I have been at the AJ and benefiber consistently. I had also been drinking a mild senna tea every couple of days. If I'd known, I'd have taken the stimulant laxatives each day to avoid this. I, too, thought it might be like when I had my children. No, man. This is a whole new level. God I am glad to have this forum because I feel like I needed to post to warn folks, but I also kind of feel like I needed some debriefing after such a traumatic experience! I am laughing now, but only because it is over. Ooooh, Lordy.

My doc suggested to take milk of magnesia 30ml (2 Tbsp) daily after surgery until you start passing gas and have a bowel movement. It worked and I had no problems. My surgery was last thursday and I have had 2 bowel movements. I am also a nurse and think this is the best med to take.

Oh my goodness...That's crazy!

I was totally the opposite! I had runny stools until I was able to start the Protein shakes!

Now it's mostly normal thank goodness. Best of luck to you, I hope it never happens again!

~A

I had always heard being on a liquid diet you would have runny problems not the other, thanks for the warning!

girl you are hallarious! and i luv the little dancing figure what a cutie - you should go into the chat room sometime you would be fun to chat with :) good luck to you on your journey :blink:

OK, let me be clear. Apple juice is not going to cut it. I have been at the AJ and benefiber consistently. I had also been drinking a mild senna tea every couple of days. If I'd known, I'd have taken the stimulant laxatives each day to avoid this. I, too, thought it might be like when I had my children. No, man. This is a whole new level. God I am glad to have this forum because I feel like I needed to post to warn folks, but I also kind of feel like I needed some debriefing after such a traumatic experience! I am laughing now, but only because it is over. Ooooh, Lordy.

Thanks for the briefing- will take to heart- or well...ya heart!

I'm still in the process of putting my application together so any tidbit of what to expect is what I need to know, no matter how "gross". Thanks for the "heads-up" on the laxatives. I'll be posting when I'm approved & scheduled.