Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bunny Bandsters - April '09, MASTER THREAD #1

Well I told my dad today. He is worried for me, but overall handled it well. Thank you all for your thoughts and concerns! At dinner I just held my little one and fed him his bottle. Everyone kept mentioning I should eat. I just brushed it off and said I would. They all went down to watch basketball and I ate my soup! My mom knew about it so she helped me be sly.

Congrats Hopeful41411. That has happened to me a few times at work. People asking when/what you are eating only for me to panic, run to my office and sneak a drink and then of course, they forget all about it. :thumbup:

Congrats hopeful! Very happy for you that you told them.

Just letting everyone know that I'm doing much better on this liquid phase. Headaches and crankiness are gone. For those who haven't started yet, it really and truly does get easier after the first few days (though I am still getting very hungry at times).

Never thought I'd say this but I'm really looking forward to the official weigh-in this Thursday (I weigh myself constantly but am using Thursday morning's weight as the official weight).

I start the full-liquid pre-op diet tomorrow as well.

Tonight I'm finishing off the last drop of Peanut Butter with a crunchy BIG Fuji apple.

Then - a final glass of wine - white merlot.

I shopped today -

my purchases include -

1. Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery: Over 140 Delicious Low-Fat High-Protein recipes to Enjoy in the Weeks, Months and Years After Surgery

2. Protein powders in chocolate and vanilla, frozen berries - for smoothie concoctions

3. Nutri-Ox Starter Kit for Color-Treated hair from Sally Beauty- to help reduce Hair loss

4. A Gratefull Dead CD - to keep me smiling

hi all

thx for the invite....i have not gotten a date yet but i should be getting a call any day now....hopefully:laugh:

Hey every one!! I made it back from my 3 day trip and it was AWESOME!! I did make good food choices, and ate my Proteins first. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow, so I was to scared to mess up!! Do you know how embarrasing it would be to be on an 900 calorie diet and gain wt.!!! That would just be the most awful thing that could thing that could happen!! So anyway, I will know tomorrow how much wt. I've lost and I can (maybe post a loss!), haven't done that yet.

Does anyone out there tell me what is alcohol sugar and should we be having it in our foods. I am finding low sugar or sugar free food that have sugar alcohol in them and often they are more than the sugar grams. I am so confused, HELP !!! Talk to ya later !

Congrats Doodlebug! for staying on track and good luck with the doctor tomorrow!!

I, personally, have never heard of sugar alcohol...but that doesn't say much...Sorry I couldn't help

I have a question...I was told by some of the ladies from the support group that a good way to make sure you stay on track is:

1. Of course eat on a smaller plate

and this one makes perfect since...

2. Eat with a baby set...

I have been looking on line to see if I can find some cute ones....in a travel case so that I can take with me. I would prefer them to be metal....and of course I am just finding ones that are cute plastic character labled sets. I want the metal ones so not to stand out too badly...and I think it's a great idea...smaller bites...and chew chew chew....Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for a Baby's feeding set in metal with a travel case?...lol...asking a little much I know. And for those that have used this method..how's it working?

Edited by sylver28

I have been looking on line to see if I can find some cute ones....in a travel case so that I can take with me. I would prefer them to be metal....and of course I am just finding ones that are cute plastic character labled sets. I want the metal ones so not to stand out too badly...and I think it's a great idea...smaller bites...and chew chew chew....Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for a Baby's feeding set in metal with a travel case?...lol...asking a little much I know. And for those that have used this method..how's it working?

I have my mom's baby set-silver. My son has a set of our flatware someone gave him in a baby set (but it's packed away so I can't borrow it). If you want to spend a little more I would check some of the major flatware stainless/silver companies. Here's a link to the Oneida set he received (I don't have an idea for a travel case...hard eyeglasses case?). Click HERE

Does anyone out there tell me what is alcohol sugar and should we be having it in our foods. I am finding low sugar or sugar free food that have sugar alcohol in them and often they are more than the sugar grams. I am so confused, HELP !!! Talk to ya later !

Good luck DB with the doc appt. More than you probably want to know but I do count these, and I'm no expert.

Sugar alcohols are not sugars or alcohols but are carbohydrates called polyols. They don't impact blood sugar significantly "in most people", so most diebetics can tolerate these. As far as how they should be counted...When products started arriving with these in them low carb dieters were told by many diet plans that they could deduct these off the carb total (when Atkins started making their own products they changed from not allowing these to allowing them). The urban ledgend when I was on Atkins (several successful times) was that these just passed through your body. Not true, they are metabolized just like other carbs, well not exactly as once absorbed they are converted to energy by processes that require little or no insulin. Some of the sugar alcohol is not absorbed into the blood but passes through the small intestine and are fermented by bacteria in the large intestine (so they are metabolized). Overconsumption may produce abdominal gas and a laxative effect. Just because they don't effect blood sugar doesn't mean they shouldn't count like other carbs that have little effect on blood sugar like green vegetables. There's been a lot of controversy lately on whether or not these should be counted as carbs or not, but most agree they should have a limited use and are mainly a benefit for diabetics needing to control blood sugars. The commonly used sugar alcohols include sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol, maltitol, maltitol Syrup, lactitol, erythritol, isomalt and hydrogenated starch hydrolysates. Their calorie content ranges from zero to three calories per gram compared to four calories per gram for sucrose or other sugars (most have a little over half the calories per gram as sugar). Most sugar alcohols are less sweet than sucrose; maltitol and xylitol are about as sweet as sucrose.

So the pros are they contain less calories than sugar, but beware that these are not 'free' foods and they usually contain a lot of carbs. There is a big misconception that these carbs shouldn't count. They are not the same as zero calorie sugar substitues like saccharine.

Thanks sooo much for your advice, B_G!! I couldn't find a Protein Drink with the amount of Protein I need with low sugar so I did buy the Atkins products as well as the Atkins Protein Bars, that mainly what I lived on my trip!! So I get up this morning and guess what!! I had BAD BAD diarrhea (sorry for not being tactful, just don't know any other way to put it)!!! So now I understand why! I've been looking at lots of sugar-free foods and all of them have more al-sugars than other sugar! Thank you so much, again! You are so special for all you do on this forum!!

Edited by doodlebug11

LOL, yeah me too (laxative). I still adore some of the SF chocolates with Sugar Alcohols...they're still lower in calories than real chocolate even when counting all the carbs, but if I eat more than one or two in a day...:)...instant colon cleanse.

Hello All!!! Been reading this for awhile and am excited to join the Bunnies... Please add me to the 8th of April for surgery date. Anyone getting banded in Denver?

Another updated list. Anyone missing or any wrong dates?

Wed April 1 = mulderfamily4, Sissyh1006, hhjazzyoo1, lls, kaner, knewme, nataliedg8, Mommad, FDBAGPIPER, spirnat31

Thu April 2 = smilan, lingling, healthyme2, kerrischafer1, Poodia

Fri April 3 = super_chilli, tish76, vegas girl, watermelon_1, cajunmomma, TxMomof4

Sat April 4 = doodlebug11, GoddessNar

Mon April 6 = swishbc, StephOnee, shakia90, Mona40, Crimson Tide, scottyjay

Tue April 7 = hopeful41411, mobetter, Trulyleaves, daner1110, kmg365, lindasqd51, marlina, Healthydiva50, CelticAngel, tcbgirl, susanthomas-pate, opalfire9

Wed April 8 = ldeere2005, tstanart, Singer B, BTHIN09

Thu April 9 = txsandy, NYlady, murphy5, gamassagegirl, hopeful60, nurseinem, JWL08, cowboyswife

Fri April 10 = pdburch, JayTee562, jerseygirl518, sdeale0928

Sun April 12 = HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!

Mon April 13 = lachdanon, Elayne, babydoll1

Tue April 14 = Suzdavis, victoria_057

Wed April 15 = hannahj914, sylver28, MrsMitch, jukebox81782, mec267's wife, (sissy's office mate - are you on here yet??)

Thu April 16 = Jenfs5, scoobydoo, rannah12, vayiayia, Allformyson, Abbie-pie, BeefromCalie, contemplating

Fri April 17 = lapbandgirl2009, lulululu, MissChristina, terelbel, Carrie_W

Mon April 20 = sandi1011, Auddie

Tue April 21 = ThinWithin, bellatrickz

Wed April 22 = early, KikstersRT, Babygirl_68, April09Bandster, birdbrainzz, mec267, Lisacacb5

Thu April 23 = PharmaGirl

Fri April 24 = loulou09, hrtgoeson, KMCD, jodimyers, Luckynjun, SHUSHioux

Mon April 27 = boomski, shellynnrn, Shrinkerbell, smiletracy

Tue April 28 = rcher, MSan914, chiffani

Wed April 29 = travelgrl

April hopefuls = Kellster, Band_Groupie, WannaBe1/2TheWoman, valjay, daqui26, mandilou, BethT1027, Swisskaese

I want to thank all of the Bunny Bandsters. I truly appreciate all of your posts.

I spent the day reading threads.

I went to my only seminar last June. It was somewhat informative, but I didn't like the clinic setting. In September I called Kansas University Hospital and found a surgeon. My appt. was in October, my pre-op is Thursday. There has been nothing in the middle. Boy do I have a list of questions. I'm anxiously looking forward to what will happen in the next 11 days.