Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For struggling new bandsters

Thanks for reminding everyone. My hubby is in this stage right now and it's very frustrating to him. I try not to be too judgemental of what he eats because I am pretty well restricted and see portions as something that are HUGE.

.....You have all made the first step to a happier healthier life. I can not stress enough the importance of patience. The band is not a miracle or magic wand, the pounds are not going to fall off. If you have the right mindset, one day at a time, the good with the bad, you will succeed. Patience Patience Patience!!!

Thanks La madam for sending us this post. As a soon-to-be new-bandster I appreciate all the words of wisdom. I'll definately keep this in mind. I was told by my Dr. not to expect a rapid weight loss, but of course my daydreams have me slim and trim by Labor Day......silly me. So..sigh...I'll try to be patient and let the band do it's thing.

I really appreciate everyone's help. This site is fantastic. :cool:

Lou

i am definitely one of the struggling newbies. i am 3 months in and have just started losing weight. i had no restriction until about last week but it was so difficult to know that i had this really expensive surgery and still no loss. but the scale moved last month and i hope that having restriction will move me down the weightloss road.

my other issue is social drinking. in nyc, it seems that there is no other social outlet for a 20something than drinking. if i want to see a friend, it's always, 'let's meet for a drink.' then i drink 3,4,5 drinks and then have the drunk hunger then eat something stupid, like 2 slices of pizza in the cab. so basically, i need to grow up and stop acting like i'm still in college. though i'm finding that easier said than done.

You are so right!!! That is excellent advice! Thank you for taking the time to share your insight with me. I believe I read somewhere that you had your band removed. I am sorry and I hope that you are continuing on your journey to good health despite your set back! Best Wishes.

This is excellent information Michelle, is there some way we can make it a sticky? It gets kind of redundant answering the same questions over and over with each wave of new folks looking for help because they don't know yet how to look or where to find the info they need. Great Post!

As a newbie I just have to say this was a very helpful thread. Im really wanting to lose weight right now but if I don't Im not stressing about it daily. I did so many 'diets' before getting my band and I was pretty good at them too and could lose a fair amount of weight and then Id buy a bunch of new clothes and then POOF!! all my weight would come right back to me. I love how someone stated 'slow and steady wins the race'. In the past i'd always try to lose fast and furious lol because I knew it was only a matter of time unti I would give up and gain it all back. Im gonna do this slow and steady and focus on health and eating in a way I can LIVE with and not feel like im 'dieting'. Its so hard sometimes to wrap my mind around the fact that I have a band now and I need to think differently about how I lose weight. Ok enough rambling lol. Thanks for bumping this post.

Stop weighing myself every hour?? What will I do... :faint: Only joking (not really) but thank you so much for this thread. I find myself explaining this to my family since they don't understand that I have no restriction yet. The constant calls of "how much have you lost" are absolutely annoying. I think I'll print your post and hand it out at my next family function. Thanks again for your insight.

Patti

I was banded on August 1, and am just now getting hungry. My first fill is on September 21. Part of me tells myself to enjoy being able to eat right now, and the other part is scared of gaining weight back. I am able to eat small bites of most things without restriction now, and I am still eating a LOT less than I used to - taking home most of my restaurant food, and not eating between meals. But I still feel guilty, because I am no longer subsisting on three cups of Soup a day and a popsicle....

:faint: thank you so much for this thread. I find myself explaining this to my family since they don't understand that I have no restriction yet. The constant calls of "how much have you lost" are absolutely annoying. I think I'll print your post and hand it out at my next family function. Thanks again for your insight.

Patti

AMEN!!!!!!!!

la madam

thanks so much!! this is why we all come to lbt but all the other crap we newbies have had to read lately. i'm6 wks out and have had my 1st fill but i think i have very conservative drs. but i'm slowly losing and inches must be

going because this weekend i have had 2 people coment on my wl but your old post was just what i needed to read

thanks again

LaMadam,

I'm joining the chorus of applause for your terrific advice. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: Very timely and well said. A great resource for new (and not so new) bandsters). Mods - please make this thread a sticky.

My medical team (surgeon, nurse, dietician etc) all stress that the band is not a quick fix - it will take time to achieve any weight loss, and then once it begins, the WHOLE POINT is for it to be slow, gradual, so that it has the best possible chance of being a PERMANENT loss.

The first 6 to 8 weeks post band are all about HEALING - I find it surprising and almost a little disturbing at how many bandsters haven't had this stressed to them. Any surgery puts enormous stress on our bodies, which takes time to recover from. The stresses are increased in LapBand surgery due to the restricted texture of the liquid / mushy post-operative diet.

We are told that our ONLY goal during his time is to make sure we get enough volume and variety of liquids / mushies into ourselves so that we have enough calories and nutrients to ensure that we have the best possible post-operative healing and wellbeing. :hungry: liquid or soluble multivitramins are encouraged during this time. Probiotics (drinking yoghurt / yoghurt / honey) are also great for general wellbeing also. Even if we put on weight during this time, we are told it's not really a big deal, as the band will take care of it once the restriction kicks in down the track.

I rather like your advice that we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves - life with the band is a long term committment - and ANYONE ought to be applauded for making such a huge committment to improving their health, regardless of their rate of progress. I just hope that I can remember all these wise words in a few weeks when I am post-op and struggling! :help: I'll be back to this thread for a boost of inspiration and for a feel-good kick!:)

Let's lighten up and enjoy the ride!!:heh: :biggrin1: :heh: :biggrin1: :heh: :biggrin1: