Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Still Enjoy Food Like You Used To?

I'm newly banded, almost a week ago (8/16/05), and bored to tears on the "clear liquids only" diet! Thank God I am permitted to move to "full liquids" and enjoy some Soup tomorrow. However, I've been wondering, those of you who are experienced with this now, do you find that you enjoy food the way that you used to? I find myself fantasizing about sausage pizza and donuts, and maybe its just because I haven't tasted anything delicious for over a week, but I wonder, will I ever really enjoy food again, or will I wish I could eat more? I have been thinking about the mechanisms of hunger and satiation, and have wondered what satiation really is - is it just feeling full, or does it also have to do with tasting certain foods? I am committed to doing the right thing with the lapband, but I am well aware of my own tendencies to revert back to unhealthy eating. My dream come true would be if the band helped me to really, really enjoy small portions of food and lose weight! I welcome your thoughts!

I'm sure you will still enjoy food, maybe even more. Having the band causes you to have to slow down so you don't get sick and you really have to chew your food well, which actually allows you to savor what you're eating.

I've learned to cook with different kinds of herbs in order to boost the flavor of my foods and it's really been fun and interesting.

As for the dreaming about food, that's all part of the process of adjusting to a new life style. The dream will become less and less , at least they did for me and now I actually crave foods that are good for me. Considering my old eating style, you have no idea what a huge change that is for me.

As with everything, we are all unique individuals and may respond differently to certain circumstances. But if you just hang in there, I'm sure you will do fine.

If it is bothering you thinking about food, perhaps you should think of something to replace your thoughts until they pass, go for a walk outdoors, listen to your favorite cd or watch a good dvd or read a book, you get the idea.

Coming to the lapband group was a great decision and great effort on your part. Keep up the good work. I wish you the absolute best.

Hey thinkthin! I know exactly how you feel. I was also banded on 8/16. The first two days I could careless to see, hear, or think of food. But...as I started feeling better the food started looking, smelling, and sounding good. I went back to school today (I am a teacher) and it was really hard to sit through the teacher luncheon just sipping on Water. After being home for a week recovering I have thought about changing my profession and going back to college for political science. I would then defiately go to Washington DC and lobby to ban all food ads on television. No wondering why our nation is fat, look at our resteraunt/fast food commercials. Anyway...just a thought I had. Keep your head up and enjoy your "full liquids" this week. I just had a cup of lite fat-free choc. milk and it hit the spot.

I don't know if I enjoy food the same way, or if I enjoy it in a different way.

I savor things more now. I don't bolt or wolf down food now, I dont' eat in the car anymnore. I take my time to eat, and so bad food just isn't something i want to do any more. I have a finite amount of food, and I want it to be yummy not just ... bulky.

I still enjoy food. I look forward to dinner and deciding what we're having, even when I'm not hungry lol. But I don't obsess over food like I used to. I'm satisfied with a small handful of chips, rather than the family sized bag. There are so many other things in life, I'm now realizing, than just food. The band has opened up a whole new window for me :rolleyes:

In a weird way I almost enjoy food more now. I quess I appreciate it more now that I eat way less than before. And believe it or not by chewing you food as many times as we need to chew I almost believe the food taste better

Guest j. lynn

Kind of. I still enjoy the taste of food. Just not the quantity.

I really do miss the satisfaction that the first few drinks of Pepsi would give me. 8 months free though!

jayme

I had a funny dream a couple of nights after I got my band. All it was was me looking down at a plate of these big slabs of cheesecake and me picking them up with a fork and stuffing them in my mouth. They were very yummy, but suddenly I remembered "oh no I have a band - I shouldn't be eating like this" - but then I realised that I was dreaming and I said to myself "enjoy it while you can," so I did. I laughed when I woke because I thought that was the best thing ever - I dont even have to miss out on stuffing myself with cheesecake cause I can always dream about it LOL. And the best thing is that "dream Cheesecake" has no calories!!! Yah!!!

Thank you, thank you all for the wonderful insights and encouragement! I can see that the band really does help you feel satisfied - not one of you mentioned feeling deprived of feeling full or of enjoyment!

Above all, I really appreciated what several of you have said about not being OBSESSED with food anymore - the FREEDOM from wanting, thinking, seeking, obtaining, eating food has made you FREE to appreciate food and explore so many other/new aspects of your life. I am soooo looking forward to experiencing FREEDOM, which is what this is all about for me!

LoopyLou - I also had a dream like that a couple days after surgery! Thanks again for all your replies!

Dang, I still love it!

I think about pizza, cakes, pastries, etc.

But, alas, I must live with my memories from before banding and realize that the taste of these foods lasts only a moment, while being smaller and feeling better is an all-day thing!

Oh Yes, I have had those dreams where you stuff your face and actually say to yourself in your dream how am I eating like this without getting a blockage or someting, I then realise in my dream that it is a dream and enjoy it lol.

As for the question I was thinking about this a couple of days ago, and I couldnt work out how I feel. I know alot of our social life before was us going out for dinner, all you eats etc. Now I just cant be bothered with it, it use to excite me going out and eating everything I feel like. Now I have to pick 2 or 3 of my absolute fave things and eat them before Im done. So as I sit here thinking about it now I wonder if I still enjoy food....I enjoy it sometimes...but sometimes I really hate that I cant just eat what I want how I want.

I know you are not supposed to eat crap all the time, but what is wrong with eating 3 chicken nuggets or 2 bites of cheesecake or a teesny amount of stuff like that?

He** Yes!! I enjoy it just as much if not more. I have always been a fairly healthy eater and continue that still. I am still working through which foods work better with the band but I'm expanding my list of health foods that I like. This week I found a soy canadian bacon that is awesome. I have been having it cold for lunch. This weekend I"m going to cook it crispy, top with a slice of Tomato, some kind of cheese (parmesean, gargonzola, ? ) and some herbs or maybe a pesto sauce.

A favorite fall food for me is spinach (cut up small), yellow and zucchini squash, mushrooms, garlic, leeks and whatever cooked in a little chicken broth and adding a little spiced up oil to get crispiness s topped with parmesean - sometimes adding in chicken breast.

I just ordered some frozen tortilla crusted tilapia - too lazy to make it from scratch.

hmmm, sounds like I still enjoy food to me. Celeste

For me I still enjoy food but I am more into quality then quantity. If I can only eat a small amout, I want it to be worth it. I do still try to do emotional eating, but the band always stop me but I can't eat as much as I wanted to. Then I get upset that I waisted my calories on something stupid.

It feels good not to have to constantly eat from morning till night and then feel guilty about it. Now I try to remember why I had the surgery in the first place and try to make better decisons on my food choices. I recently had 2 slices of pizza and it tripped me out and had the nerve to bite into a 3rd piece. What was I thinking!! That didn't work and I instantly felt terrible, it did not come back up but it was a lesson that I will remember. Last night I had the nerve to try to drink some Water to push someting down, that didn't work either. I found myslef wiping up the Water from around the sink. You live and you learn, I thank God for my band.