Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Health Care for State Employees

I would like to communicate with people are GA state employees and are using United Health Care Insurance. Since this is new for us, I feel that we could offer support to each other and stay on top of what the requirements are, etc. Hope to hear from you!

Gypsy

Edited by gypsy7

I have completed my 6 months supervised diet(started prior to State Health approving WLS) and am in month 2 of the 6 months of counseling. Hoping for surgery in July. I have several friends who are also starting this procedure. I would like to use a doctor in Albany. The hospital is in the processing of becoming a Center of Excellence and being approved for State Health.

I know you must be so excited! I would like to know about the weight loss program you used, how much did you lose, did you exercise, etc. I am wondering how strict they are. I didn't start the process until March so it will Sept or Oct before I can qualify for the surgery. Thanks so much for your post. I have had my initial psychological testing and passed. I just don't want any surprises or disappointments at the last minute. I will be using surgeons in Atlanta. Keep me informed!

I am a retiree and have united health ins. They did not pay for my lap-band surgery. Do they now?? Our insurance is not the best in the world. Had my surgery june 2008. I am haveing problems. Stop loseing need help

SHBP (United Health Care & Cigna) with HRA or HDHP both are paying for weight loss surgery effective 1/1/09. You must do several things prior to being approved. 6 Month physcian supervised diet. 6 month Counseling(Or support group in some cases). Must use an State Health approved Center of Excellence. Several people have been approved for surgery and have upcoming dates. Most of these are on ObesityHelp.com. You can read alot under State Forums - Georgia. Also there is alot of information under the revision board. I was all set to do the lapband, but after reading alot of post have just about changed my mind to RNY. What type of problems are you having? Did you just stop loosing weight? Good luck

Linda, I am curious as to what made you change your mind to the gastric bypass vs the lapband? I am torn also. I went to obesity.com and could not locate the information you referred to. Do you have a lot to lose?

I just read and studied the forum boards at both places and decided for me the bypass may work better. There are people who the band works wonderful for and some that it doesn't. I have a friend that it is great for and one that it is not too good. I know there are people with the bypass that have problems also. I just think it might be a better fit for me. I have a doctors appointment Monday in Atlanta to see Dr. Macik and I'm going to probably go with whatever he suggest. I would really like to do the sleeve but our insurance does not cover this. I need to loose between 90 - 100 pounds.

The website is www.obesityhelp.com/

It has alot of information that is very helpful in all types of weight loss surgery. Good luck. Have you started the process with SHBP yet? Have you been to a doctor?

Linda,

No i have not chosen a doctor yet, but I am considering Dr. Champion. I went for first month for the weight loss and gained a pound! Have not started exercsing yet either, and am quite disgusted with myself about that. I might check out the doctor that you mentioned, but I don't think you are going through Atlanta are you? I just don't want any surprises at the last minute. The thing that concerns me the most about the gastric is the rapid weight loss and sagging skin. I don't think our insurance pays for plastic surgery. Please keep me informed on how you are doing and when you have your surgery!! Thanks for responding. I want to get rid of 90 to 100 lbs. also.

I went to the appointment with Dr. Macik and then found out that Dr. Scott and Floyd Medical Center have been approved. My parents live in Rome and that would be so much easier for me. So I went to his seminar and really was impressed with him and his team. I have a consultation appointment and dietician appointment the middle of June. I will see what type surgery his suggests would be best for me. Dr. Macik advised to do the gastric bypass because of my diabetes and sleep apnea.

How is it going for you? Have you decided on a doctor or hospital?

Linda

Thanks for keeping me updated. I am still investigating my options concerning hospitals and surgeons. I am still under doctors care for weight loss and therapy sessions. I have heard that Northside Hospital is the best in Atlanta. I should be making a committment by july or August. What town is your surgeon and hospital located in? Debbie

Is United Healthcare really making you start the 6 months support group after you've already completed 6 months weight management? That's absolute crap!

I have Cigna. I went with Cigna instead because I have had problems with UHC denying claims wrongly.

Cigna started the requirement of 6 months support in March. I think perhaps prompted by my bitching because I couldn't access their ridiculous online program readily or even find where it was on the website as it wasn't even titled what the requirements listed out.

They also added a requirement that a case manager is assigned to you when you call to inform them you are looking at bariatric surgery (I thought I had one because I had called so much...)

Well, when my case manager told me about the 6 months I about fell out but the case manager than said immediately - no, no, no you don't have to do that. They started requiring it in March so if you started your 6 months weight management before March, they do not make you do that requirement nor do they require the online program.

I just today got all the materials into Dr. Macik's office.

This may not be the case with UHC but I imagine it is. I would suggest that you call your doctor's office and talk to them about it. I got the impression from Tiffany at Dr. Macik's office that UHC was the same way.

Good luck.

And, if UHC added yours on in March they can't legally bind you such a ridiculous requirement. That's making you wait an extra 6 months. It actually is intended I imagine to be done during your 6 months of physician-supervised weight management not to make you wait for the whole term of your year-long insurance -- because, I have always thought that bariatric surgery might not even be offered next year so I would do everything in your power to get it done before the end of the year.

Edited by LarkNoelle

Hi, I started my pre-reqs in Feb and hope to have my surgery in July or August. I have completed 3 out of 6 counsel sessions, I have my sleep study scheduled for this monday night. All is going as planned so far. Please let's keep in touch

Well, I just noticed that not only are you using Dr. Duncan--but you have SHBP as well! We have even more in common!! I was told by Pam at Duncan's office that I must contact UHC and be assigned to a bariatric nurse/case manager. Well, I did that immediately. The lady I spoke w/ promised me I would hear back from a nurse/case manager promptly. She asked what would be the best time for a nurse to call me--I gave her that information. Wouldn't you know it--the nurse calls me on Friday at the exact time I said I would NOT be available. Since then, I've called and called & get nothing but her voice mail--I've not received another call from her yet. I'm just slightly aggravated at that--but I'm trying to not let it get me down! Aleasha