Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from Austin, TX!!!

Hello everyone!!

I'm Chrystal- from Austin, in the Lone Star state! :thumbup:

I attended the seminar last week by Dr. Fass. I was super impressed, but I wished they had someone who went through the surgery to come and speak with us about their own experience. But I'm sure I will find alot more in here, and look forward to make new friends, and support system in all of you.

And vice versa too! :blushing:

I am only 27 and am morbidly overweight at 345 lbs. I've gone through so much of yo-yo dieting. I was always overweight- (since elem school) and I'm really tired of hiding behind all this weight and not living life like I should be! I'm tired of being unhealthy, having people judge me too quickly because of me being fat! I deserve better. My body & heart :blushing: deserves much better than this.

Few friends of mine has been banded- they are happier, & most importantly, much healthier now. I am seriously considering the "go ahead" decision of getting one. My insurance covers I think, 80% of this surgery. I think it's worth every penny. Healthiness is my #1 goal out of this. I am skeptical about surgeries, but I think this is much better than gastric bypass. It's much less invasive. And it's reversible.

I hope to learn much more as I go with the evaluations, testings, and researching before I make the final appt for the surgery date.

Thanks for reading! :thumbup:

Hi Chrystal, Welcome to LBT, you'll get plenty of what was missing at your surgeon's seminar here - lots of practical advice, people speaking from their own experience and encouraging each other. I couldn't have made the progress I did without the help of the people here. The best of luck to you - you can do it!

-Bandpal

Hi newbie from Austin! I am from Austin too and I have just started the process with Dr. Fass. I chose Dr. Fass because of his reputation. I have also seen his work on our unit (I am a nurse). I am getting my psych consult next Tuesday and hopefully will have my nutrition consult sometime soon. I am hoping to be banded in April or May. I found this site to be really helpful so far.

I am excited but a little more scared as I get closer to it. I know some folks have issues with losing weight in the beginning and I'm really worried about that. I know Dr. Fass is conservative and I like that, I just hope I can make it work.

Good luck to you. I will post again when I get a surgery date...:scared2:

Hello everyone!!

I'm Chrystal- from Austin, in the Lone Star state! :scared2:

I attended the seminar last week by Dr. Fass. I was super impressed, but I wished they had someone who went through the surgery to come and speak with us about their own experience. But I'm sure I will find alot more in here, and look forward to make new friends, and support system in all of you.

And vice versa too! :D

I am only 27 and am morbidly overweight at 345 lbs. I've gone through so much of yo-yo dieting. I was always overweight- (since elem school) and I'm really tired of hiding behind all this weight and not living life like I should be! I'm tired of being unhealthy, having people judge me too quickly because of me being fat! I deserve better. My body & heart :heart: deserves much better than this.

Few friends of mine has been banded- they are happier, & most importantly, much healthier now. I am seriously considering the "go ahead" decision of getting one. My insurance covers I think, 80% of this surgery. I think it's worth every penny. Healthiness is my #1 goal out of this. I am skeptical about surgeries, but I think this is much better than gastric bypass. It's much less invasive. And it's reversible.

I hope to learn much more as I go with the evaluations, testings, and researching before I make the final appt for the surgery date.

Thanks for reading! :crying:

Hello my name is Veronica, I just completed 7 months on True Results my Surgery date is March 24,2009 I am excited.

If you need to talk write me a line, I am from Manor, Tx

thanks everyone for the nice warm welcome! :)

I look forward to learn alot here, and get support from everyone! It's good feeling to know I'm not alone here on this...

cheers!

Hi newbie from Austin! I am from Austin too and I have just started the process with Dr. Fass. I chose Dr. Fass because of his reputation. I have also seen his work on our unit (I am a nurse). I am getting my psych consult next Tuesday and hopefully will have my nutrition consult sometime soon. I am hoping to be banded in April or May. I found this site to be really helpful so far.

I am excited but a little more scared as I get closer to it. I know some folks have issues with losing weight in the beginning and I'm really worried about that. I know Dr. Fass is conservative and I like that, I just hope I can make it work.

Good luck to you. I will post again when I get a surgery date...:)

Hi, nice to meet you! I'm glad I get to meet you so I could get reinforcements from you on Dr. Fass- I'm sure he's a great doctor but it's better to hear from an actual patient of his. u know? :)

how long did it take for them to call you after the seminar? I'm just wondering.. and how long ago did you attend the seminar?

Thanks!

Chrystal

I can't remember how long it took. But I didn't attend a seminar, I did the online seminar instead. I just couldn't face getting up there with a lot of folks. I'm so embarrassed about my weight. Plus, being a nurse, I didn't want to go over information that I already knew. I think they told me it took about 1 to 2 weeks to get the call for the appointment especially due to them being a little short staffed right now. It was okay with me as I knew I would have to be self pay and I couldn't do the surgery right away (I'm hoping for April, but it may have to be May). I think they research your insurance for you and they didn't realize I was self-pay. Have you heard from them yet? Thanks for connecting with me! I hope we can keep up with each other through out the process...:)

Hi! I'm Bren from San Antonio! We're neighbors! I just had the band placed on March 9. The first week is bad, but I am almost over the hump and can see light at the end of the tunnel. I understand it gets better after the first week. I found that keeping a journal about the whole experience has helped me a lot! Journaling has allowed me to get all my emotions out without taking them out on everyone else! Good luck!

Hi Bren!

What a great idea! I might even start doing it now. We are already talking about when it happens and anticipating the changes. It will be good to get it down on paper and see the progress. Thanks for the suggestion! We might be down in your neck of the woods this week. Going to the zoo!!! I like your ticker! I created one, but I have no idea how to import it into responses yet. Thanks for posting!

There is an html code on the ticker page. Copy and paste it into your signature!

The zoo, that sounds like fun. Have a good time. Journaling has been a lifesaver for me. I wish I had started before the process, but I started late night after surgery. It really has helped.

I can't remember how long it took. But I didn't attend a seminar, I did the online seminar instead. I just couldn't face getting up there with a lot of folks. I'm so embarrassed about my weight. Plus, being a nurse, I didn't want to go over information that I already knew. I think they told me it took about 1 to 2 weeks to get the call for the appointment especially due to them being a little short staffed right now. It was okay with me as I knew I would have to be self pay and I couldn't do the surgery right away (I'm hoping for April, but it may have to be May). I think they research your insurance for you and they didn't realize I was self-pay. Have you heard from them yet? Thanks for connecting with me! I hope we can keep up with each other through out the process...:)

I got the call today, and I have my first appt with Dr. Fass on April 9th. :blink: My insurance will pay 80% of it and I have to take 3 mos of classes to pre-qualify for the surgery as their policy. Grrr. But I hope it will benefit me anyway. :ohmy:

Curious- Did you have to do that or not, since u are self-pay?

Hi! I'm Bren from San Antonio! We're neighbors! I just had the band placed on March 9. The first week is bad, but I am almost over the hump and can see light at the end of the tunnel. I understand it gets better after the first week. I found that keeping a journal about the whole experience has helped me a lot! Journaling has allowed me to get all my emotions out without taking them out on everyone else! Good luck!

Good idea to do a journal with this experience. I would do a blog about it. I'm a blogger not a writer, ha :) Thanks for the idea!

Congrats on your new band. Hope u doing good! what was your most difficult obstacle on this surgery? the liquid diet scares me cuz I dont know what I would do when I'm hungry! ha

I got the call today, and I have my first appt with Dr. Fass on April 9th. :blink: My insurance will pay 80% of it and I have to take 3 mos of classes to pre-qualify for the surgery as their policy. Grrr. But I hope it will benefit me anyway. :ohmy:

Curious- Did you have to do that or not, since u are self-pay?

Man! How great it would be to get 80% covered!!! Congrats on getting your date! I don't have to take the classes.

I am meeting with the nutritionist though. I finally got through to him. He had been out of town last week, but I kept calling and finally, the last time I called, I asked if I could make an appointment with another nutritionist outside their practice so I could just get it done. This must have done something because they had him on the phone in minutes...So, I see him this Friday morning! That is that last thing I need to do. I've had the blood work, the EKG and had a psych consult. I didn't have to meet with the exercise person because Dr. Fass felt that since I had completed three triathlons, I should be okay in that area.

At this point, I am looking seriously at the gastric sleeve operation. He won't do that surgery and I think I will have a hard time finding anyone who will do it on me because I am not morbidly obese. I think I'm just getting really scared about having something foreign in my body and about having PB's and sliming -- I can't stand throwing up! Keep me posted!!!:)

The clear liquids was the hardest! You can get through it, just drink more! Just remember why you are doing it!

True! I'll have to remember that for motivation! :cursing: