Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you go home after surgery?

After your surgery, when did you go home? That day? The next? I am getting mixed messages from various sources.

I stayed one night. Everyone has different stays depending on insurance requirements or doctor/hospital/center requirements. My insurance and doctor required that I stay one night.

Hi, yes, you will get mixed messages from various sources. Everyone's doctor is different. For those of us without any complications, there are those people that leave a few hours after surgery, those that stay overnight and then everyone else falls somewhere in between. I was an overnighter and glad that I did stay overnight.

your getting mixed messages from everywhere because the hospital stay depends on your sugeon and your health status. Banders who are older or have things like diabetes or high blood pressure usually stay longer..my surgeon required everybody to stay over night...really it depends on the patient....everybody is unique..

I went home the next evening and i'm glad that I stayed overnight because I felt really drained and ended up having a problem with my blood sugar that evening....Nothing to horribly bad, but it was just good that I was there....

Surgery at 9:30 am and on my way home at 5 pm. Surgeon said I was doing better than his 8 am patient even with additional surgery time for having to repair a hiatal hernia on me. Felt good enough after I got home to send emails to family and friends that I was home and doing OK. My surgeon only keeps someone over night if there are complications. I guess it also depends on what time of day your surgery is scheduled. He does 2-3 in the morning only spaced about 1 1/2 hours apart so last patient in recovery around noon.

Hi I had surgery one week ago, at 9 am. I stayed overnight. The following day I had the barium swallow to check the band and was discharged at 1 pm. Mary

i had surgery at 730 am had the barium study by 11 and was home by 12. i was much more comfortable in my own bed...not to mention i was self pay so it kept the cost way down. the only other surgery i had was an orthapedic surgery...and this was nothing compared to that.

just make sure you get the pain meds and take them every 4 hours the first two days whether you are in pain or not. it is easier to keep the pain from coming on than getting it to go away once you are in pain. i also had some morphine in the recovery room and that lasted most of the 1st day.

It is up to your surgeon. Period. He can let you go early, he (or she) can keep you longer if you need it. He must "discharge" you. I went home the same day, most of my doc's patients stay overnight. Ask your surgeon; that way you will know your game plan.

Banders who are older or have things like diabetes or high blood pressure usually stay longer...

LOL I was 53 and had 2 surgeries in August and went home the same day! So no, older doesn't mean you'll stay. :thumbup:

But you are 100000% riught we are all different and the surgeon will make the call! :w00t:

I had to stay overnight for the insurance to pay, but my Dr. didn't require me to. He actually said that I was the first Blue Cross patient that he has done surgery on that was require to stay.

I had to stay overnight for the insurance to pay, but my Dr. didn't require me to. He actually said that I was the first Blue Cross patient that he has done surgery on that was require to stay.

Hi Jen, glad to see another Jen who knows how to spell it...LOL I hate it when people spell my name with 2 N's :thumbup:

Well I found out just this week that my doc requires everyone to stay the night too. And I was planning for an outpatient procedure. Oh well, I will be fine either way as long as I get my band ( which will be April 16th :thumbup:) It is really weird when you work at the hospital and then you are the one in the bed. I had that happen to me once before when I was in for a DVT in my arm. I actually got up and went down to the lab to see all of my coworkers because I was so bored...LOL. I just felt like I should have been working and now laying in a bed.

Jen

My insurance required I stay one night.

I went into surgery around 9:30 and was on my way home by 12:40. I'm young, came out of the anesthetic no problem, was able to drink water... They sent me on my way. I did crash as soon as I got home, but I was happy to be in my own bed.