Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

JUNE 2009 Lap Band Surgery

I see so many of you losing over 60lb and I've done 45. what are your secrets? is this including pre-op diets? I know I should be happy, but when I see other losing so much more, I feel like I'm not doing something right!! Please tell me what you do. Thank you!!!

I have only lost 30 since my surgery on 6/18/09. My doctor says I am right where I should be. I just had another fill on Saturday... and I can really feel this one. He says the weight should start coming off quicker now. Although, I do not want to lose it too fast.

I see so many of you losing over 60lb and I've done 45. what are your secrets? is this including pre-op diets? I know I should be happy, but when I see other losing so much more, I feel like I'm not doing something right!! Please tell me what you do. Thank you!!!

Don't feel bad. I lost 45 lbs, then gained 10 back.Went in for first fill in 4 months yesterday. I work full-time and am a full-time student. Just finished finals. This semester was VERY hard on me. Anatomy and Physioloy II plus the lab and two other classes. I threw out my back about 3 months ago and have not been able to work out like I should. I didn't have time for ME, this board or anything beyond work and school. So no, it's not just you. I went back in and got a fill and am going on with a new attitude. Next semester I am scheduled for 3 classes instead of 4. So, I am making more time for me and my health. Don't be too hard on your self. Remember, our bodies are all different. Your body is going to lose faster than some others and slower than others. Don't gauge your success by someone else's scale. Set small milestones and gauge your success by meeting those

Good luck

Thank you everyone, I guess I was just having a bad day!! You're right 45lb is good, if I think about it I could be 90lb by my one yr anniversary!!

I'm 8 lbs from goal. I only had 60 lbs to lose. I've had two fills and probably need one more, but I've been too busy to go in and get it. However, I do feel the band when I eat too much, unless its sliders. Had a bunch of them at a party tonight, but tomorrow its back on the band-wagon. Sticking to high Protein, low carbs has been the key to weight loss for me. Getting another fill will help with maintenance so I don't gain it back. Too easy to eat too much at night. Everybody has to find their own way, pace, and style with the band. It's a tool not a cure. You can't eat the same way you did before the band and expect different results. Get those fills, they're the key to continued weight loss.

Cheri

Hello All.....I just wanted to share my lastest band story with you. On 12/8 I went to get an adjustment, my 5th, on that day came with 9.5 ccs in 14cc band. I got just ONE cc which brought me to 10.5ccs...well 3 days later I had to get an UNFILL!....It was one of the scariest times I experienced since I had my band. I could not eat, drink or swallow anything!....not even my own saliva!....I was throwing up like crazy, I ended up in the emergency room that Sunday morning and my doctor removed 2ccs bringing me down to 8.5ccs and now Im fine :thumbup:, THANK GOD!!!.....

I know we all have complained at one time or another about not having enough restriction, but you DO NOT want to be overfilled....it is no joke!...I know for sure that my sweet spot is near!....its gotta be somewhere between 9 and 10.5ccs....I will be sure to get smaller amounts in the future, maybe .25ccs at a time. There is one bright spot however.....I lost 9lbs in 5 days...but I do not recommend doing it that way at all! Overall I am very pleased with my band and have lost 77lbs so far....Just wanted to let you know....dont rush the restriction....take your time, it will come!.....Take Care

I pushed and pushed to make it to 50lbs by today, my 6 months aniversary Banded 06/15/09 293 Today: 243.

but now I am having pain at my port site. Its not that bad, it just feels almost bruised under my layer of tummy fat and my scar from the port aches a bit. Has anyone else had any issues like this? I have lost enough fat in my abdomin that I can clearly feel the port now and I wounder if that has anything to do with it.

Yes, I've had a "bruised" feeling under the skin where my port is, too. I am quite pear-shaped and have next to no fat on my upper abdomen. The port is very, very "feel-able." I've kind of worried about hurting myself and/or my port, too. What did your doctor say about it? When I asked my doctor, he said that I shouldn't worry--that it would be ok. He said that sometimes they'll do a port revision if it sticks out too much after weight-loss. Jachut has posted that her port is actually visable. My husband doesn't like to touch the port--says it reminds him too much of Alien the movie (other than that, he's very, very supportive--go figure!).

In theory the sweet spot sounds great but in reality I believe it may be elusive. I think a lot of bandsters end up too tight chasing some notional sweet spot where they can eat small amounts and not be hungry between meals. I think a lot of it is still down to good choices and a degree of self control.

I think one of the problems is the 3 meals a day and no Snacks philosophy that a lot of Dr's adhere to. I believe that this is unrealistic. Yes I can go for 4 hours without getting hungry which gets me from Breakfast to lunch but lunch to dinner is normally about 7 hours and this I can't manage without a snack.So long as it is healthy I don't see this as a major problem.

It's been a long time since I've been to this thread--guess I'm catching up on everyone's posts.

Elcee, I couldn't agree more with you--on both points! The "sweet spot" is kind of like a mirage--you think you're getting closer to it, but you never really get there. I think the sweet spot must be anywhere between "bandster hell" and too much restriction (ie. not being able to swallow one's own saliva)!

Also, having just 3 meals a day doesn't work for me--I get too hungry and then I eat too fast and don't chew enough (and get stuck!). I eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day--but not grazing--I've lost 70-some lbs so I think that this is working for me.

I too have that bruised feeling and my port is felt very easy as well. I worry about lifting heavy things thinking that I am "pop" it or something, but I just do what feels comfortable and if hurts I stop. I am pear shaped as well so since losing weight my abdomen is much smaller another 20lbs and the port may actually poke out too.B)

My port is quite feelable and I think has contributed to upper stomach bulge. So upper belly is still rounded while lower belly is tucked in but hangs like a flat tire.

6 lbs to goal. Maybe 5.

I haven't been on here in a while. My port is not only very feelable but also very noticeable. I have the upper abdomen roll also, which is very weird because I didn't have that before, while lower abdomen is getting flat. I'm sure if I got off my lazy butt and did some ab exercises it would help..lol.

I'm kind of in bandster hell. I'm finally crying uncle after 3 months and have an appointment next month to remove .5 cc from band. It's very hard to get into the surgeon and have made a couple of appointments and then canceled because of work schedule. But the throwing up is way more than I should be doing, plus I just don't feel like I'm eating very healthy because, of course, what goes down is not what I need...i.e., chocolate, ice cream, popcorn...gawd forbid I get a piece of chicken down..:;)

I am losing weight and feel like I'm where I should be allowing for the fact I do almost no exercise. I'm at 64 lbs pre and post op weight loss...and who knows where it would be if I was get on the stationary bike instead of using it for a winter coat rack..

Good luck to all

Trisha

LOL. A coatrack, huh? Well, I've lost about the same and am at about the same weight as you. And I exercise and eat mostly Protein so go figure.

Just getting over a bad cold. Stomach pouch fills with phlegm and makes me pb on dense protein but if I wait and keep spitting instead of swallowing then I can eat the protein as long as I eat very slowly.

Lost all but one lb of Christmas weight but holidays aren't over yet. Hope to reach goal in January. Five more lbs. But, clothed, I look good. Took a big leap of faith and got rid of all clothes that don't fit or look right. I have very few clothes left.

Cheri

Hi all...I have lost 27kg so far...unsure of conversion to pounds. My port sticks out a bit but not really concerned at the moment. I do have a question for all the women out there...have your monthlies changed? Mine have got super heavy and the cycle has no changed to 3 weeks instead of 4...I am excercising a lot tho...would this do it?

Probably your age not your diet or exercise. Go to gyne, could be fibroids or menopause coming.

Hey people. I've been blogging a lot again over Christmas. Has really been helping me deal with the food and attached issues.

Check it out at IF YOUR STOMACH OFFENDS YOU, TIE IT OFF

Hi. I am down 61 pounds since June 12th (actually including two week preop). This past month I did not lose an ounce but I did not gain the ten I would have historically :blink: so its a win. I am ready to get busy again being totally serious and getting this icky weight gone for good. It is wonderful to see so much success on this board and very inspiring :( I started at 247 and weighed in today (after grazing :)) at 186.5. Happy New Year everyone and keep up the good work!:)