Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone junking out to keep the secret?

Haha, that's true. Half of the time they're so tanked themselves they dont remember any of it. But for me, I guess old habits die hard. It's a hard transition for my friends to see me, the biggest party animal of all of them, to ease back. But as of late, people started noticing my weight loss and I told them it's because I quit drinking so much beer and junk, and now they're all supportive. I was just trying to put on a face like I'm the same ol' guy, but I realized "that guy" is how I became the person I am today (or was pre-band).

I was just trying to put on a face like I'm the same ol' guy, but I realized "that guy" is how I became the person I am today (or was pre-band).

Exactly! You're a new-and-improved guy! :crying:

yea, i'm a little nervous that i feel little to no restriction have of the time. i don't eat HUGE quantities, but the quality of food i've been exposed to is lacking. i know i need to be better, but it's just so hard because i work with people that literally force things down my face.

Let me give an example... one of the girls were with orders a sampler platter at the bar. Too much for her. She gets drunk and expects others to help her finish it. Well, everyone helps but me. I don't want to... but she will scream obnoxiously saying "eat it". And I shrug is off laughing thinking its all a joke, but she keeps insisting, "eat it" and people are like, "just eat it so she'll shut up". Next thing I know I'm eating nachos and I'm not even hungry. Blah. I'm so weak!

Try not to beat yourself up about this episode--trust me, I've been banded for 8 months and the head hunger is still difficult at times to get around. Please be careful...you don't want to stretch out your new pouch. Also, you don't have any restriction yet and probably won't until your second or third fill--once you get restriction, it will be a whole new world. You physically won't be able to eat the same foods anymore or you WILL PB. Good Luck! And book your first fill so you can be on the road to restriction!

Hey Mr. Rice Guy! You know what works for me when my coworkers ask me to eat cake or a bagel or something junk food or whatever? I just say "Nahhh I'm fat enough already." That usually shuts them up.

Sure, I use self-deprecation as a tool to get people to back off, but seriously, do I really need a double-bacon-cheeseburger with fries and a side of ranch and a chocolate shake? NO. I'm fat enough already. And to me, it's not like they don't know or can't see that I'm overweight, it's plainly obvious. So I don't even listen to their "Oh noooo you're thick, or big-boned..." or whatever. They don't even have to know about the band, and they don't have to agree with your lifestyle, but I think everyone can agree that losing weight is a good thing.

Stay strong and fight the power! You can do it!

I agree... saying you're on a diet is a good way to get out of stuff like that. Plus, you can always offer to be the DD--a great way to justify not drinking & make your friends happy :tt2: If you really don't see them letting up or minding their own business, you can always say you have a stomach ache or just order club sodas w/ a twist of lime and tell them you're into gin and tonics now, ha ha = p I understand how you feel about your privacy...I haven't told anyone except family about my band--not because I'm ashamed, but because I'm a private person and don't feel comfortable letting everyone know the ins and outs of my private life. Hope you're doing better now that you've had your band for a bit!

I understand what you mean.

I chose not to tell my coworkers. Not sure why - just kind of a private person and wanted to do this without everyone looking on waiting for results. When I get some significant results I will share with a couple of people but until then I have my fam and the couple of friends I chose to tell to support me.

I do understand what you mean by feeling the need to eat. I find that when I eat the most its with my coworkers. I have a girl at work that luckily I've recently started splitting meals with - but honestly I can't really eat a whole half a meal. But since my coworkers KNOW that I used to could easily eat the whole meal plus dessert - if after only having a half plate of food I don't even eat all that I know they'll notice. They still comment - "you hardly ate anything". My friends/coworkers would never pressure me to eat but they have noticed the change in my eating habits.

You can always tell them that you ate a heavy/ late breakfast/lunch etc. Or that you're stomach doesn't feel very well, or that you really don't have an appetite, or that you really aren't lking the food for some reason. This sometimes helps in explaining away your lack of hunger.

Another thing is a half truth - let them know that you've been going to the doctor and the doc has been telling you to lay off. That's what I used to explain why I was no longer drinking soda and am laying off the juice.

Good luck - but HEY don't let some whiney brat of a girl make you eat her food!

Edited by PrincesaJenE

well I understand the feeling guilty part...until my second fill it was horrible, I'd almost started giving up on the band because I was hungry all the time. And honestly I think it's hard to give advice to a girl. It's more socially acceptable for a girl to eat like a bird but you always hear things like "the manly {grotesquely fatty food item here}" My brother has always had a problem with his weight and he was in sports in high school but he was the big guy...and so they'd have him chug drinks, eat a bunch, that's how he fit in I guess...But I agree with a lot of people here, either let them know what's up or tell them to just shut up, though it sounds like you were on a business trip, with co-workers so not exactly the same as "Friends". Anyway I know this was posted 3 or 4 months back but..