Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paid to Post - ALERT!!!

As many members are aware, advertising is against the rules of the forum. If a reputable person/medical group/organization, etc. wishes to pay for advertisement, they go through the proper channels. Thankfully, the great majority do just this.

Of course, people always find ways to "beat the system" and one of the latest is paying people to post. This occurs when members are giving opinions or sharing bad experiences that they had with a particular group/surgeon, etc. Obviously, this is bad for busine$$. To combat the negative posts, a few actually pay people to create an account and do battle with those who post negative experiences. Many of the paid posters are easy to "find" because they only post on threads that speak negatively about the person or group paying them.

Please do your own research and choose your surgeon carefully. The great majority are wonderful and it's sad that a few spoil it for the rest and make it necessary for a thread like this to exist. We have a GREAT forum and we intend to keep it that way. Please trust that paid posters will be dealt with.

Thank you,

As many members are aware, advertising is against the rules of the forum. If a reputable person/medical group/organization, etc. wishes to pay for advertisement, they go through the proper channels. Thankfully, the great majority do just this.

Of course, people always find ways to "beat the system" and one of the latest is paying people to post. This occurs when members are giving opinions or sharing bad experiences that they had with a particular group/surgeon, etc. Obviously, this is bad for busine$$. To combat the negative posts, a few actually pay people to create an account and do battle with those who post negative experiences. Many of the paid posters are easy to "find" because they only post on threads that speak negatively about the person or group paying them.

Please do your own research and choose your surgeon carefully. The great majority are wonderful and it's sad that a few spoil it for the rest and make it necessary for a thread like this to exist. We have a GREAT forum and we intend to keep it that way. Please trust that paid posters will be dealt with.

Thank you,

This is a great post. Can someone make it a sticky?

I've posted on here regarding my surgeon but in no way have I been compensated for such. I strictly gave kudos and listed my experience. It is the responsibility of the reader to research and accurately drawn their own educated conclusion. I have heard negatives about other band doctors in my area but I have never slammed or advertised negatively about any of them. I’ve seen plenty of posts on here for other doctors in my area that I have never heard a positive word about but it’s not for me to oppose that. If someone goes out of their way to contact me through personal message, I’ll certainly share what I’ve heard. Is this considered negative behavior? I’ve had two other friends banded here in Houston and they both used different doctors. One had a great experience; one did not and only had her band for a year and had to have it removed. It is the responsibility of the bander to follow post-op treatment, etc. to ensure the best result. There are some doctors who do their part to perfection and the patient may not and a negative experience can happen and visa versa. I do appreciate you sharing this information. There are a few of us honest people left out there and I can assure you, I’ve never been paid for posting. I do it for my own enjoyment! I must admit though…..the extra money sure would help combat that LB Loan I’ll have to pay on for the next few years! Hee Hee. Seriously, it’s sad that people have resorted to such behavior. Research people!!! Get your own info.

I've posted on here regarding my surgeon but in no way have I been compensated for such. I strictly gave kudos and listed my experience. It is the responsibility of the reader to research and accurately drawn their own educated conclusion. I have heard negatives about other band doctors in my area but I have never slammed or advertised negatively about any of them. I’ve seen plenty of posts on here for other doctors in my area that I have never heard a positive word about but it’s not for me to oppose that. If someone goes out of their way to contact me through personal message, I’ll certainly share what I’ve heard. Is this considered negative behavior? I’ve had two other friends banded here in Houston and they both used different doctors. One had a great experience; one did not and only had her band for a year and had to have it removed. It is the responsibility of the bander to follow post-op treatment, etc. to ensure the best result. There are some doctors who do their part to perfection and the patient may not and a negative experience can happen and visa versa. I do appreciate you sharing this information. There are a few of us honest people left out there and I can assure you, I’ve never been paid for posting. I do it for my own enjoyment! I must admit though…..the extra money sure would help combat that LB Loan I’ll have to pay on for the next few years! Hee Hee. Seriously, it’s sad that people have resorted to such behavior. Research people!!! Get your own info.

Thank you for posting. What you and most of the other members are doing is correct. You are relating YOUR experiences with different facets of the weight loss surgery experience. It is expected that members will have very positive things to say as well as negative comments.

I came to this site after I had my surgery. Thankfully, I had a great experience and a positive outcome. I want people to know that. However, if I had a negative experience, I would want to share that as well so others did not have go through it.

The difference between you and a paid poster is that you had surgery, are a real patient, are posting from actual experience of self or friends, and you're not getting paid. Paid posters work for one or several surgeons for the sole purpose of drumming up business. They converge a thread that mentions any negatives about "their" surgeon and crucify those who disagree with them.

Unfortunately the sad reality is this has been around a long time and some even do it to pay their bills. It's hard to take the full advice of 1 person... I never trust 1 source on the internet... I reasearch over and over before I ever make a decision on something.

Excellent advice, Brandy. What is worrisome is that some of the less reputable surgeons engage in this practice and boast low prices to get people to use them.

In this economy, people are looking for bargains and might be tempted to make their decisions based on price alone. When you toss in the paid posters who promise the moon for little money, scams can grab a lot of innocent people. That's why this thread was necessary. We want people to be informed and aware so they don't fall prey to these scammers.

Yep I agree Elisabeth. Some of the posters although they frequent forums maybe not be as internet saavy or internet worldly to know that there are people out there like that. When it comes to virtual reality we sometimes forget that it's not always reality and things have to be taken a little lighter since it's only in typing.

I hope that everyone reads this thread and is aware that this happens all over online and not just on the forums.

"beat the system" and one of the latest is paying people to post. This occurs when members are giving opinions or sharing bad experiences that they had with a particular group/surgeon, etc. Obviously, this is bad for busine$$. To combat the negative posts, a few actually pay people to create an account and do battle with those who post negative experiences

This also holds true on the opposite...when someone posts something positive about some surgeons or doctors....there are a few that pounce to tell horror stories-always hearsay as it wasn't them but someone else.

So everyone should be careful on all fronts.

This also holds true on the opposite...when someone posts something positive about some surgeons or doctors....there are a few that pounce to tell horror stories-always hearsay as it wasn't them but someone else.

So everyone should be careful on all fronts.

You got that right. I thought I was pretty internet savvy but I only learned that some posters were paid to come to the forum for the sole purpose of drumming up business for a surgeon. I also learned that a good way to "spot them" is to see how many posts they have made and where they post. The paid posters tend to stay on one topic like vultures ready to swoop down and defend the people paying them.

I've done the same - even on my "name" over there. I had a great experience with my surgeon and his staff - so I referred friends and family members. Ive never been paid for posting or referrals. I know I researched surgeons in my city before picking one - went to more than 1 seminar and talked to people at work who were also looking into the surgery. Hopefully everyone looks to more than just 1 person or site for their information. Great post here and I agree, this topic should be a sticky.

Everyone should keep this in mind when using forums of any kind, not just weight loss forums. It has been prevelant on every forum I have ever been active with and has many times made me decide to leave.

Everyone should keep this in mind when using forums of any kind, not just weight loss forums. It has been prevelant on every forum I have ever been active with and has many times made me decide to leave.

The administrators and moderators are on the alert for paid posters. I had one paid poster email me and she stated she worked for a clinic in Mexico. The problem with paid posters is that you ban one and two more pop up. Please trust that IP addresses are checked and Alex is always looking for the latest in software/internet security.

I have always said do your own research, yeah I post opinions and I have a certain brand that i Like in particular, but people should always do their own research, I mean its cool to listen to different opinions, but never just live by them.

I have always said do your own research, yeah I post opinions and I have a certain brand that i Like in particular, but people should always do their own research, I mean its cool to listen to different opinions, but never just live by them.

Well said! In this economy, many MDs are feeling a slow down in their business. Paid posters must bring in business. Whenever anyone is considering surgery, they really do need to make sure they find out the facts, the fiction, and talk with actual patients.