Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT-- My son's Hamster is now in Heaven

Mita

My son is so sad today and was up crying last night. I had to break the news that our Hamster Maxie Died in his sleep. I though he was just wanting to sleep in his food bowl but when I noticed he had not moved all eveing, I got worried and yes he had passed sometime yesterday. I hope that my little one will be ok. We had a funeral and buried Maxie under one of the Rose bushes so that my son will always remember him..

So question - do I replace him now or just wait???

Yeah, I vote for replacing--maybe not with another hamster tho. Would your son like to try another pet? I think it's really good for kids to have pets... even tho I usually got stuck taking care of them.

I'm reminded of the time my son's green lizard, Philip, died while he was away on an Indian Guide's weekend. When I found the dead lizard I ran out and bought another the same size since they all look alike and put it in the terrariaum. Imagine my 6-yr-olds amazement when he came home and exclaimed, "Mom! Phillip learned a new trick!!" The new Phillip liked to climb upsidedown on the ceiling and the old Phillip had never done that!

Thank goodness for the gullibility of 6-yr olds!

My son is so sad today and was up crying last night. I had to break the news that our Hamster Maxie Died in his sleep. I though he was just wanting to sleep in his food bowl but when I noticed he had not moved all eveing, I got worried and yes he had passed sometime yesterday. I hope that my little one will be ok. We had a funeral and buried Maxie under one of the Rose bushes so that my son will always remember him..

So question - do I replace him now or just wait???

Awe Bubbame...I hope your son doesn't stay too upset too long. That stinks for the little guy! Maybe ask your son his feelings...If he would like another pet now or would he like to wait a little bit....Go with what he wants...

ahhhhhh poor thing... I had a hamster that passed away and I was so sad... but i got her replaced right away.. and she was just as cute. I hope your son feels better soon.

Losing a pet is always so hard. I am sorry.

I say wait. I think it is important that children realize that people/pets/friends/etc are not easily replaced. I think it will add more to their sense of how precious life is when it is here, they begin to understand and appreciate it. Maybe not really comprehend it, but it is a beginning I feel. JMHO

Ohhh, the poor little guy, did he have him long? I agree with Porcln Doll that you should ask him how he feels, is he ready to get another pet right away and discuss any options you may feel are appropriate, like maybe getting gerbils or a guinea pig, something along the same line. If he is really deteremined I certainly don't think getting another hamster is a bad thing.

I'm a huge animal lover, and whenever one of my pets die, I'm out the next day, crying my eyes out and all, but I am looking for a new pet. For me, it has always helped heal me and I always pray to the pet I've lost to show me which one I should pick out.

I wish you the best of luck. Hope the little guy bounces back soon.

Cindy

Thank You all, Yes he has expressed his feelings, He blames himself that he did not take care of Maxie. I explained to him that Maxie was very happy and lived a very full life for a Hamster and he was old(2 1/2yrs ). Couldn't tell with him climbing up the side of his cage and letting go at the top.. Anyway he did express that he wanted another pet but it was I who said let's wait a bit before we replace him. Tried to explain that we should give time to grieve and remember the good times before we replace him with something else... As of this weekend I removed the cage so that he would not just sit and cry looking at it. But maybe in another few weeks we will look at getting something different if not the same. He has mentioned birds but I can see food and such all over my carpet. Maybe a lizard but I think they fall under high maintance. Humm will have to think about this one.

Thanks again

bubbame...

lizards are high maintence and aren't too sturdy.. i dont know much about animals, and i dont have any pets, aside from our fish,, but if i were to get my son a pet (which wouldn't happen cause he is scared to death of animals) i would get him a ferret. they are obnoxious and demand a lot of attention...but they can be litter trainned and are a lot like cats from what i hear. they get into everything so you gotta ferret proof your house... on the down side, they like to bite and chew..so while playing with your little one they may nibble on little fingers, which may be scarey...

good luck when you venture out for a new pet...

ttyl

I Know How You Feel. My Sons Are 3 And 7. They Lost Their Dog Last Year And Omg It Was Tough. We Went Out And Adopted Another The Next Week. They Were So Close And Missed The Warm Little Body In Their Beds. So We Went To The Shelter And Gave A Homeless Dog A Loving Home. I Wouldn't Recommend Getting Another Exactly The Same. Try Another Color Maybe Or A Guinea Pig. They Are So Fun And "durable". Ours Is Held And Brushed And Loves To Play Outside His Cage (under Close Supervision). Good Luck!

We might have a problem with the Ferret since we cannot even let the dog in the house. OMG I don't even want to think what he would do let alone the attack my DH would have. hair any kind is a no no in the house. But then again Ferrets are pretty cute. I thinking yes another 4 legged pet would be better.

Guniea Pigs are cute. Humm even fish sounds good right now

ferrets are very stinky. Very stinky.

I'm glad you decided to wait and gave your son time to think about his little friend.

Mary,

Im so sorry to hear of your son's loss. How sad.

Fish? low maintance, no noise, doesnt pee on carpet... hey! This idea is sounding better and better.

Come to think of it, we had 2 fish once. We went on a vaca and one of the fish had given birth to about 12 babies while we were gone. A week later our cat had kittens, and a week after THAT, I found out I was pregnant. :ermm

Dear God, I never want another fish in my house!

OMG Was it the Water in your house Paula or like Vines says the Vacation???

A fish sounds good but not much interaction..

Humm still thinking though. As of late we have had many discussions regarding life and death.

Just when I think he is getting over it, He has more questions. Maybe this weekend we can go look at some low maintance pet. Even my 4 year old has been going around the house calling out for maxie.